Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
The Humanity Star satellite
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:34:25 PM »
I came across this story and it got me thinking about FEH and satellites.

Quick background:
The Humanity Star is "disco ball" satellite that was launched into orbit by Rocket Lab. (Yet another private launch firm) It is an art project to unite humanity or something along those lines.

You can view the tracker here: https://www.thehumanitystar.com/

How this relates to FEH is that there is an easily identifiable object orbiting the globe with a real-time online tracker. I say easily identifiable because it is supposedly very bright and has an irregular flashing as it spins. Anyone on this site can use the tracker and, if the timing is right, can go outside and view it as it travels around the Earth. There are a couple of videos of it already posted to youtube. If you watch the orbital path, you can see it is in a polar orbit.

This raises a few questions. Some say satellites are balloons, but if you watch its path, you can see it is traveling far to fast to be a balloon. It is in a polar orbit, which makes no sense on a flat globe. Further, it has no propulsion system, so it isn't able to provide any course correction. (and will deorbit later this year)

What do FEers make of this? Is it even possible?
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline OrigamiBoy

• more like fat earther amiright
    • View Profile
Re: The Humanity Star satellite
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 07:31:22 PM »

Quick background:
The Humanity Star is "disco ball" satellite that was launched into orbit by Rocket Lab. (Yet another private launch firm) It is an art project to unite humanity or something along those lines.

How this relates to FEH is that there is an easily identifiable object orbiting the globe with a real-time online tracker. I say easily identifiable because it is supposedly very bright and has an irregular flashing as it spins. Anyone on this site can use the tracker and, if the timing is right, can go outside and view it as it travels around the Earth. There are a couple of videos of it already posted to youtube. If you watch the orbital path, you can see it is in a polar orbit.

This raises a few questions. Some say satellites are balloons, but if you watch its path, you can see it is traveling far to fast to be a balloon. It is in a polar orbit, which makes no sense on a flat globe. Further, it has no propulsion system, so it isn't able to provide any course correction. (and will deorbit later this year)

This is a sticky point for the FE'ers. I may be wrong but I believe their theory is that they are just airplanes that are solar powered, or just fake in general. Another satellite that reflects sunlight is the satellite iridium. This is the same satellite that manages all call from Iridium satellite phones. These reflections are called iridium flares and there are tons of tools online that allow you to track in see them. Also the Iridium is owned by a private company called spaceX, NOT nasa. FE'ers have some explaining.
These are very desperate people - trying SO hard to maintain this one theory that they are prepared to shut their minds to the hundreds of crazy things they have to say to defend it.

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 11:43:21 PM »

Quick background:

Stinker there is no such thing as satellites. For decades peeps have been calling out chemtrails only to be laughed at. We all now know they are real and the powers that be are spraying our skies, most likely for a defense system placing nano metal particles in the sky to track and intercept incoming missiles. Sats can't do it because they are a lie by satan like round earth nonsense. The chems dumb you down and ultimately kill you early.

http://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/major-northern-california-event-will-expose-global-climate-engineering/

I looked up this sat you mention and it won't be visible for almost 100 days from now for me. At that time a high altitude jet will drag a sparkling thingy behind it and say look a satellite. Stupid fools, fooled again. The beast is alive and well. He will be defeated, it is written.
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 12:46:05 AM »
I looked up this sat you mention and it won't be visible for almost 100 days from now for me. At that time a high altitude jet will drag a sparkling thingy behind it and say look a satellite. Stupid fools, fooled again. The beast is alive and well. He will be defeated, it is written.

And your evidence that any of this will happen is...?
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 01:00:42 AM »

Stinky asked what I make of it. I make sheets and giggles mostly. Stick with the topic and comments, don't deviate or you could get banned.

It's obvious to me the disco ball is on a pile of dung. Confirmed in the photo, no?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:02:34 AM by J-Man »
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

JohnAdams1145

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 05:10:05 AM »
Most of the responses are complete nonsense. Why would a private spaceflight company spend money on planes to drag shiny objects in many, many locations across the globe for the satellite transit to be visible? And what, to demonstrate the existence of a useless shiny object in space? Did it just occur to you that maybe they exist, the Earth is round, and that maybe you don't quite understand basic physics? Which is more likely?

Did it ever occur to you that planes show up on radar? That any ATC could figure out this ruse? That any pilot could figure out this ruse? Or that planes make noise? Wow, this is pretty bad.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 02:28:47 PM »
The chems dumb you down and ultimately kill you early.
Do you live right beside an airport? Kidding, love ya, J-Man!

Thank you for your insightful comments. Satellites are caused by Satan. Got it.
-Terry50

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 02:38:01 PM »
Most of the responses are complete nonsense. Why would a private spaceflight company spend money on planes to drag shiny objects in many, many locations across the globe for the satellite transit to be visible? And what, to demonstrate the existence of a useless shiny object in space? Did it just occur to you that maybe they exist, the Earth is round, and that maybe you don't quite understand basic physics? Which is more likely?

Did it ever occur to you that planes show up on radar? That any ATC could figure out this ruse? That any pilot could figure out this ruse? Or that planes make noise? Wow, this is pretty bad.

This is what I expected. The legit flat Earth members won't touch this because they know they can't refute it, so that leaves the crazies. There is no explanation for this that fits a FE model without invoking some crazy theory. The polar orbit is a killer. The speed and the ability to track it also hurts them.
-Terry50

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 03:31:15 PM »
Thank you for your insightful comments. Satellites are caused by Satan. Got it.
I KNEW it!

I'm always bemused at the crazily high level of proof FErs demand for things like this and the strangely low level of proof they require for flat earth "evidence" which generally boils down to "The horizon looks flat" and "Rowbotham said so" (bearing in mind Rowbotham thought that moonlight was cold and the moon was translucent).

The old "balloon" explanation really doesn't hold any water. How would anyone manage to make a balloon move at the speed a satellite does or appear at the exact location tracking websites say it will.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 04:32:10 PM »

Stinky asked what I make of it. I make sheets and giggles mostly. Stick with the topic and comments, don't deviate or you could get banned.

It's obvious to me the disco ball is on a pile of dung. Confirmed in the photo, no?

Ok, I'll stick to the topic.

It's obvious to me the disco ball is on a pile of dung.

And your evidence is?

This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline ShowmetheProof

• We are fellow scientists, and should act as such.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 01:31:43 PM »
Really none.  As AllAroundTheWorld(I think?) said, the real FE'ers who have intelligent, yet mistaken minds won't go trying to respond so the crazy theories come in!  Today, our FE quiz is which of these are true?
a) The earth is constantly accelerating using an unknown form of energy
 b) Satan causes satellites
c) Moonlight is cold and translucent
d) All of the above
D is correct!  Congratulations! 

JohnAdams1145

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 12:10:50 AM »
This may be off-topic, but I should address a misconception put forward by ShowmetheProof. The Earth & the rest of the universe constantly accelerating is perfectly fine, since you can't extract free energy from it (in space, you're less shielded from Earth). Energy is not invariant across reference frames. By Einstein's equivalence principle, it's just the same as asserting there's a force in one preferred direction in space on anything that is shielded by large mass. However, this should cause large planets to be slightly oblong and moons to be heavily distorted in one direction.

Treep Ravisarras

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 09:11:02 PM »
I just found this website. The true Flat Earth process is that we want to sense with our own experiments. We need to prove these extraordinary claims untrue. Their claims are so simple, we only need our eyes to prove/disprove their claims.

They tell us where to look. We look (without additional means such as telescopes or binoculars). If we don't see what they say we should see, then their claim is not likely to be true.

Has any Flat Earther gone through this basic empirical process?

They tell where to look here: you have to input your location
https://www.thehumanitystar.com/

They say it's only visible during the night - so we check
They say it's best visible during dawn or dusk - ok, we can do that
They say the light from a passing aircraft will be brighter - ok, so we have to look closely
They say it would only be visible for a couple of weeks - ok, so time is running out.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 10:42:55 PM »
I just found this website. The true Flat Earth process is that we want to sense with our own experiments. We need to prove these extraordinary claims untrue. Their claims are so simple, we only need our eyes to prove/disprove their claims.

They tell us where to look. We look (without additional means such as telescopes or binoculars). If we don't see what they say we should see, then their claim is not likely to be true.

Has any Flat Earther gone through this basic empirical process?

They tell where to look here: you have to input your location
https://www.thehumanitystar.com/

They say it's only visible during the night - so we check
They say it's best visible during dawn or dusk - ok, we can do that
They say the light from a passing aircraft will be brighter - ok, so we have to look closely
They say it would only be visible for a couple of weeks - ok, so time is running out.

I posted a thread about this awhile ago. Unsurprisingly, I haven't heard any FEers taking up the challenge. I have yet to converse with any on this site that seem to be motivated to actually prove anything.
-Terry50

Treep Ravisarras

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 05:47:07 AM »
I posted a thread about this awhile ago. Unsurprisingly, I haven't heard any FEers taking up the challenge. I have yet to converse with any on this site that seem to be motivated to actually prove anything.
Yes, there seem to be a many nominal Flat Earthers that don't actually believe in anything. They just like to conspire against ... anything really.

Flat Earth thinking process means that for something to be considered a truth it must be shown to the observer.

It is no less than logic that if someone wants to show something to prove it's true, in this case the so called 'humanity star', and gives directions how it can be seen, observed, that we investigate. To take any other course of action is allowed to be called 'ignorant'.

I would be surprised if no Flat Earther had done that yet, so I'll give it some more time.

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 01:46:35 PM »
Yes, there seem to be a many nominal Flat Earthers that don't actually believe in anything. They just like to conspire against ... anything really.

Flat Earth thinking process means that for something to be considered a truth it must be shown to the observer.

It is no less than logic that if someone wants to show something to prove it's true, in this case the so called 'humanity star', and gives directions how it can be seen, observed, that we investigate. To take any other course of action is allowed to be called 'ignorant'.

I would be surprised if no Flat Earther had done that yet, so I'll give it some more time.

Out of curiosity, Treep, have you tried doing many experiments yourself? I do not believe many of the flat earthers on this site would bother with this sort of thing (for the exact reasons you've stated yourself a few times here) but there are several easy experiments you can do to empirically show yourself the shape of the earth.

Here: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/7-diy-.com-b-o-b-the-earth-is-round

As a pilot yourself you should be in a great position to do the stick experiment -- even if the routes you fly aren't between cities due north/south of one another you can get travel vouchers, right?

Offline Beorn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 01:50:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure Tom Bishop has repeated and confirmed Rowbotham's experiments.
Am I in the right place?

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 02:02:21 PM »

Tom hasn't done anything of the sort. He supposedly did something similar in California, but was very sketchy on details. Further, the effect he is proving is refraction, not that the Earth is flat. The fact that the experiment fails when you raise the telescope higher confirms that.
-Terry50

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 01:48:15 PM »

Tom hasn't done anything of the sort. He supposedly did something similar in California, but was very sketchy on details. Further, the effect he is proving is refraction, not that the Earth is flat. The fact that the experiment fails when you raise the telescope higher confirms that.

Even if he did, that’s not how science works. If he wants to confirm Rowbotham was right,  he needs to try and prove that he was wrong.

For example: https://m.phys.org/news/2016-06-star-black-hole.html

These scientists have been waiting years for this chance to disprove Einstein's theory of general relativity. They probably won't. But that's how we continually reaffirm that he was (probably) right: By constantly questioning and re-testing.

This is what the FE movement is missing, and it can't be taken seriously -- not scientifically, at least -- until they figure out how science works.

Treep Ravisarras

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 12:36:39 PM »
Ok, maybe was a bit late:

"On March 2018, 2018, The Humanity Star began its final descent into the Earth’s atmosphere where it burnt up on reentry, leaving no trace"

No trace ... pity would have loved to disprove
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:57:37 AM by Treep Ravisaras »