Re: Why is there no standard map of the earth?
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2021, 07:30:55 PM »
@AnthonyDodson

No need to be coy.  Lay it on us!

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2021, 08:10:23 PM »
Is no one interested in the idea that the earth could be much larger than we have ever dreamed or been told?

Based upon what you've posted, I would say, no, not interested in your "idea". The, "hey, I've got an idea, earth is bigger than we think it is," is not even remotely compelling. Try and gussy up your notion with some evidence or just even something that actually means something.

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2021, 03:28:19 AM »
I came across a youtube channel recently called vibes of cosmos.  They have a map of earth on there based on a reflection of our land masses on the surface of the moon.  They look like ancient maps of earth pre 1700's.  It just got me thinking. Is it possible the powers that be are hiding the fact of large areas of land that we the people are not even allowed to know about?  Sounds like something they would do if they could get away with it.  I do not know for sure but it sure looks interesting.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2021, 04:17:42 AM »
Can you provide any details?

What exactly do you mean when you say this map is based on a reflection of our land masses on the moon? Is it a map of earth or a map of the moon with earth-like continents and oceans?

What areas appeared on these ancient maps that arent part of the modern 'known' world?

Who are the powers that be and why are they hiding this new land from us?

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2021, 09:34:06 PM »
Is it possible the powers that be are hiding the fact of large areas of land that we the people are not even allowed to know about?  Sounds like something they would do if they could get away with it.  I do not know for sure but it sure looks interesting.

The powers-that-be are incompetent idiots that serve special interest and are at the mercy of their own lascivious appetites.

They are incapable of hiding their their own corruption much less the corruption of a worldwide organization. In America, entire presidential administrations have fallen because they couldn't keep a secret. There is no way the Donald could keep his mouth shut about UFOs, a flat Earth, or a large Earth.

Even with unlimited resources and no oversight, America's most top-secret agency failed to keep their most top secret program a secret. There is no way they're hiding Bigfoot or the shape of the Earth or anything else that would shake humanity.

Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2021, 07:29:39 PM »
As long as our computer monitors are 2D, earth will stay flat!

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2021, 07:35:21 PM »

The same with photos. It takes 3D depth perception to see a sphere.
Devout and strictly adherent Atheist.

Offline scomato

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2021, 01:38:08 PM »

The same with photos. It takes 3D depth perception to see a sphere.

You could do it using something like a Looking Glass Holographic Display.

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2021, 02:55:56 PM »
Or indeed using a video sequence, which you have just done to demonstrate the hologram on our 2D screens. 

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2021, 03:33:39 PM »

Time-lapse photos taken of the earth from space that shows rotation would create the illusion of depth perception in the same way.
Devout and strictly adherent Atheist.

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2021, 08:00:45 PM »
So why can't we work out how they do this?

That, of course, is not the issue.

You need to understand that cartography is not for determining the shapes of things.   It is for direction and (estimated) duration.  That is how they (maps) are built, and why.

There are small amounts of topographical maps of course, but we don't do these for the ocean's surface (only land, sometimes including some of the land beneath the ocean).

Making a map, and determining the shape of something (especially something that you are standing on, and is too large to measure in one go) are fundamentally different challenges.

Inferring the shape of the world because you took trips on or above it, is stupid.  To determine the shape of the entire world, it must be rigorously and repeatedly measured (no, just riding on a vehicle to get there and timing it is not adequate).

Maps are a military asset, which is one of the many reasons that the maps in the average citizen's hands are always incorrect, historically.  This was a large part of keeping poor european slaves/"commoners" from going to north america during/on from the middle ages.

I know of no one on either side (FE or RE) seriously involved in topographical cartography and I agree that it is an oversight.  In any case, it is a large undertaking and there are bigger fish to fry currently (especially for independent researchers).
The WGS-83 model is universally accepted to be correct.