FES Book Club
« on: December 02, 2013, 06:49:07 PM »
Post what you have recently read and anything you'd like to point out about it (preferably without spoilers when talking about a fiction story).  Maybe after we get some more regulars/traffic we can actually start up a monthly or quarterly club to discuss a specific book if people are into that idea.

I finished Ender's Game a few weeks ago after watching the movie. I found myself absorbing Ender's internal conflicts as if they were my own. 

Rama Set

Re: FES Book Club
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:02:06 PM »
I just finished "The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values" by Sam Harris.  I found it to be quite illuminating but those that know Sam Harris' beliefs can likely just watch his Ted Talk on the same topic.

Maybe after we get some more regulars/traffic we can actually start up a monthly or quarterly club to discuss a specific book if people are into that idea.

I would be in to this.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 12:22:40 AM »
I would definitely be into a FES book club.

I recently read Cold Mountain. I think it captured the TN hills pretty well. It was like a Confederate soldier's Odyssey.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 05:36:56 AM »
I'm going to pick up the latest Sanford novel for my parents for Christmas and then I'll subsequently borrow it from them sometime there after.  His books are the first serious cop drama in any format that I actually enjoy.  The bad guys in those books are usually pretty well developed and often disturbingly psychotic. 

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 05:40:37 AM »
I'm going to pick up the latest Sanford novel for my parents for Christmas and then I'll subsequently borrow it from them sometime there after.  His books are the first serious cop drama in any format that I actually enjoy.  The bad guys in those books are usually pretty well developed and often disturbingly psychotic.
On a related note, my dad has finished or is close to finishing a cop drama set in the Midwest. He loves the genre and used to be an LA cop. Exciting.

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 05:45:43 AM »
Sanford's series is set in Minnesota.  Maybe it is the same one.  He has two series which intermingle based around Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 05:52:09 AM »
Earth Not a Globe by Samuel Birley Rowbotham is an enlightening pick.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 06:23:47 AM »
Sanford's series is set in Minnesota.  Maybe it is the same one.  He has two series which intermingle based around Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers.
Sorry, I meant finishing as in writing his own books.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 06:33:44 AM »
Oh that's actually pretty cool.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 04:20:37 PM »

lol Glad to have you here, Tom.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Thork

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 06:49:06 PM »

lol Glad to have you here, Tom.
ditto. :D

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 10:45:48 PM »
I just finished "The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values" by Sam Harris.  I found it to be quite illuminating but those that know Sam Harris' beliefs can likely just watch his Ted Talk on the same topic.

Maybe after we get some more regulars/traffic we can actually start up a monthly or quarterly club to discuss a specific book if people are into that idea.

I would be in to this.

I didn't care for "The Moral Landscape" at all. I agreed with everything he was saying, but his arguments didn't seem very well laid out.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 12:20:29 AM »
Ironweed.  I learned that homeless people are disgusting and depressing.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 03:48:57 AM »
Bluefish.  I learned that knowing how to read is over-rated and dogs are better than people.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 04:19:51 AM »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 06:35:50 AM »
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 06:58:58 AM »
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 12:14:55 PM »
I thought this was a book thread.

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »

I would be in to this.

I didn't care for "The Moral Landscape" at all. I agreed with everything he was saying, but his arguments didn't seem very well laid out.
I thought he took too long explaining why we can scientifically look at morals.  I lost interest in the book rather quickly.