Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Xbox and Valve finally have their baby
« on: July 12, 2014, 12:46:45 PM »
www.alienware.com/landings/alpha/

I honestly didn't see this coming.  I thought PC games would die off as console games became the dominate market.  Now it seems like PC gaming and console gaming will merge into one.

There may come a day when buying a disk doesn't happen anymore and shelves of game stores are full of license keys instead of actual games.

And once the steambox comes out then we'll have two steam based consoles. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox and Valve finally have their baby
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 01:37:24 PM »
I thought PC games would die off as console games became the dominate market.
Fucking lol
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Thork

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:39:06 PM »
There may come a day when buying a disk doesn't happen anymore and shelves of game stores are full of license keys instead of actual games.
What kind of business would rent a shop to sell license keys, Dave? You'd sell them online.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »
Fucking lol
To be fair the number of PC games being released and marketed is dwarfed by console games.  Just step into your local game shop and compare the displayed PC titles to their displayed console titles.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 03:27:36 PM »
What kind of business would rent a shop to sell license keys, Dave? You'd sell them online.
Normally I'd agree but I have this feeling that an online catalog just isn't going to be as popular as looking at boxes in an actual store when dealing with games.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 03:30:25 PM »
Fucking lol
To be fair the number of PC games being released and marketed is dwarfed by console games.  Just step into your local game shop and compare the displayed PC titles to their displayed console titles.
Because consoles don't have steam.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 05:02:07 PM »
We've seen many weird consoles this generation.... the Ouya, MOJO, among other android based home consoles. Most of these consoles are failing or being bought solely to be used as pirate machines.

This Alienware Alpha isn't going to change anything. PC gamers are already using their Xbox controllers with PC games, so that's not a selling point. Also, PC gamers would opt for a mouse & keyboard over a damn controller any day. Most PC gamers are already using steam, so they're not going to purchase a home console that lets them do the same thing they are already doing. Console gamers who are not familiar with PC gaming will probably ignore this console altogether or just not buy one due to the price point (which will inevitably be high).

Of course, this could be wishful thinking. I prefer physical copies over digital copies any day, and I don't care whether or not they throw in some stupid .pdf artbook.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 05:03:46 PM »
PC gamers are already using their Xbox controllers with PC games
Althought why, I can not fathom.

Well. Unless it's a game which is atrociously badly ported from consoles.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 05:05:17 PM by beardo »
The Mastery.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 05:26:18 PM »

For many, controllers are just more fun. With some games it is actually technically better as well as long as you are using the right control scheme. For instance, in halo the control scheme known as bumper jumper puts every combat related action on the triggers, bumpers and pushing the sticks in which means that as long as the user is in a combat situation, there is no need to ever remove fingers from the thumbsticks. That way you can jump, shoot, lob grenades, zoom, crouch and melee without ever taking your sights off target.

The advantage to a mouse is precision and quick turns but some games have some degree of auto aim and turning quickly is only necessary if your awareness isn't up to snuff. Pros and cons.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:41:20 PM by rottingroom »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 05:51:22 PM »
But auto aim is pure bullshit.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 05:57:05 PM »
Most FPS games on PC don't have auto-aim. The only reason I'd use a controller on PC is for emulation or fighting games.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:03:23 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 05:57:05 PM »
It's far more comfortable to play with a controller. Mouse and keyboard requires you to stay in a rigid position. Controller let's you sit how and where you like and move your body and arms while you play. This is why the Wiimote was my favourite controller to hold. I could have either of my hands wherever and move them independent of one another.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 06:03:34 PM »

Some people like to hold the license key in their hand to see how it feels.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 06:11:48 PM »
But auto aim is pure bullshit.
The phrase "auto aim" does sound bad but it depends on the game. In halo it is very minor and it still takes skill to get a head shot. Especially in halo, where precision is important but not as important awareness and acrobatic dexterity.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:39:25 PM by rottingroom »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 10:07:05 PM »
Normally I'd agree but I have this feeling that an online catalog just isn't going to be as popular as looking at boxes in an actual store when dealing with games.

Don't be retarted. Digital sales have already surpassed physical sales in the U.K. Don't forget that a huge portion of the game market comprises casual mobile games.

Some people like to hold the license key in their hand to see how it feels.

License keys are numbers. They literally don't exist.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 10:12:44 PM »
Digital media is just numbers. They literally don't exist.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 10:16:59 PM »

Analog control is very important for some games.

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 01:55:33 AM »
Games are just numbers they dont actually exist.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 02:06:25 AM »
That is a correct fact.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 03:35:41 AM »
Don't be retarted. Digital sales have already surpassed physical sales in the U.K. Don't forget that a huge portion of the game market comprises casual mobile games.
I don't count casual mobile games in that only because they aren't the traditional market of consoles or PC games.