Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) - contains spoilers
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »
I'm not talking about Holdo's insertion and greater role in the story; just the ramming scene. There's a world of difference between criticizing a pointless subplot in which the heroic characters turn into idiots and create all their problems themselves and wanting to build a dramatic moment around a goofy-looking puppet for the sake of paying tribute to an Internet meme.
That's fine if you think that separation is meaningful or important to you. To me, the events that lead up to the scene are inseparable from the scene itself. Sure, Ackbar looks goofy, but the reasoning of "we can't have him resume his obvious role because he'd look goofy in that one scene" simply doesn't speak to me. Plus, it's not like Admiral Mauvelocks looked any less goofy than Ackbar.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2018, 12:08:42 PM »
When has Star Warts ever not looked goofy?

Rama Set

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2018, 01:23:51 PM »
Yeah, that's why people would have liked it. Because of the meme.

The moment couldn’t possibly have been more ineffective with ackbar.

With a ridiculous puppet doing the acting instead of a talented actress?

A puppet with whom the audience has a history with rather than a character that was badly written and shoe-horned unnecessarily in to a story? Yeah I’ll take the puppet. You could even have the First Order look at the advancing blip and say, “What is this? Surely it’s a trap.”

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2018, 03:09:56 PM »
You could even have the First Order look at the advancing blip and say, “What is this? Surely it’s a trap.”

That is terrible and you should feel bad about yourself.

Also, Holdo and her conflict with Poe is an allegory of angry women/feminists arguing with men. Holdo represents the feminists/SJWs/Tumblr users because she's a woman and also because she has dyed hair, a concept that didn't exist before Tumblr. Rian Johnson wanted the struggle to end with a victory for Holdo and the SJWs, but because the character acts so unreasonable and uncommunicative the whole time, her supposed moral high ground feels very forced. This is why feminists and SJWs are bad. Hollywood fills enormous movies with coded references to things only tiny niche Internet subcultures would understand. Holdo could only have purple hair because she's a Tumblrina who majors in gender studies. There's no other explanation.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2018, 03:45:18 PM »
Finally got to see VIII. It is objectively the best main story Star Wars movie ever. Okay maybe a tie with Empire.

Also, Saddam is mostly wrong as usual.

I think I need to watch the movie again... In my defense, this was only a couple of days before I took a several month hiatus from drinking, and I was undoubtedly smashed whilst watching the movie (which definitely makes me all nostalgic for crap like this). I really don't remember much of it at this point. Obviously I still had some wits about me as I was able to recognize Saddam being wrong.

However, reading the first page of the thread, it seems like a lot more people were favorable to the movie as opposed to now. Obviously the movie didn't change, so is it the media coverage blaming men for criticizing legitimate problems with the film the reason why folks are growing tired of it? Or the harassmentTM

Also I saw that the director or someone is threatening fans of the movie with "consequences" if they don't stop being so mean.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2018, 03:48:01 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie. That said, I do think it had issues, and many of them were due to perceived social pressures. Plus it's great fun to watch Saddam try to dehumanise dissenters of the mighty SJW empire while offering nothing other than "but doing it the way it's always been done would be dumb and goofy".
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2018, 04:50:50 AM »
Finally got to see VIII. It is objectively the best main story Star Wars movie ever. Okay maybe a tie with Empire.

I think I need to watch the movie again... In my defense, this was only a couple of days before I took a several month hiatus from drinking, and I was undoubtedly smashed whilst watching the movie (which definitely makes me all nostalgic for crap like this). I really don't remember much of it at this point. Obviously I still had some wits about me as I was able to recognize Saddam being wrong.

However, reading the first page of the thread, it seems like a lot more people were favorable to the movie as opposed to now. Obviously the movie didn't change, so is it the media coverage blaming men for criticizing legitimate problems with the film the reason why folks are growing tired of it? Or the harassmentTM

Also I saw that the director or someone is threatening fans of the movie with "consequences" if they don't stop being so mean.

Or the hype wore off and people started seeing the flaws.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2018, 04:20:14 AM »
However, reading the first page of the thread, it seems like a lot more people were favorable to the movie as opposed to now.

I don't think we've had "a lot" of people discussing the movie at all. There are only a handful of us in total, and it's not all the same people. Ghost/Chris loved the movie, Andrew hated it, and everyone else has been mixed-to-positive.

Obviously the movie didn't change, so is it the media coverage blaming men for criticizing legitimate problems with the film the reason why folks are growing tired of it? Or the harassmentTM

This is confusingly phrased. As someone who's heavily plugged into pop culture, I can guarantee that TLJ was enormously controversial from the moment it was released, and one or two wise souls from the pre-release screenings even warned reddit that this would not be a movie they embraced. I'm not aware of any mass backlash or shift in opinion, and I don't see why the articles you mentioned (and inaccurately described) would have changed anyone's opinion of the movie.

I believe you're talking about what James Mangold said, although he's not the only director to have weighed in on this. Mangold can be very pretentious at times, and one thing that absolutely drives me nuts about the way he writes is his feigned affect of being this folksy, salt-of-the-earth, rough-and-tumble, blue-collar guy who ain't one for talking English good because he's just an average joe who wears blue jeans and drives a tractor! It's such bullshit. He doesn't talk like that, because nobody talks like that, and even if he did, he still wouldn't write like that. But, uh, setting all that aside, he does make a valid point.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2018, 06:10:43 AM »
I'm not aware of any mass backlash or shift in opinion, and I don't see why the articles you mentioned (and inaccurately described) would have changed anyone's opinion of the movie.

Did you intend to reply to me? If so, I would suggest maybe going back and reading my post again. I didn't mention any articles, and was talking rather generally so I am not sure how I would inaccurately describe anything related to said "articles."

And I have no idea what your last paragraph was rambling on about. I don't really care, but it seems like you had a lot you wanted to say, so you have at it.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2018, 06:28:07 AM »

Or the hype wore off and people started seeing the flaws.

Yes, it has always been bad.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2018, 11:51:36 AM »
Did you intend to reply to me? If so, I would suggest maybe going back and reading my post again. I didn't mention any articles, and was talking rather generally so I am not sure how I would inaccurately describe anything related to said "articles."

You talked about recent media coverage. That comes in the form of news articles.

And I have no idea what your last paragraph was rambling on about. I don't really care, but it seems like you had a lot you wanted to say, so you have at it.

It is a most pertinent point.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2018, 03:26:07 AM »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2018, 03:46:13 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/movies/kelly-marie-tran.html

Star Wars fans rise up

Or at 17, when at dinner with my white boyfriend and his family, I ordered a meal in perfect English, to the surprise of the waitress, who exclaimed, “Wow, it’s so cute that you have an exchange student!”

And then she threw her drink on the waitress and the whole restaurant clapped, and a customer gave her a %100$ bill.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2018, 04:25:46 PM »
And that customer's name was Albert Einstein.