Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #540 on: October 04, 2016, 11:12:29 AM »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

George

« Reply #541 on: October 08, 2016, 01:00:54 PM »
http://io9.gizmodo.com/suicide-squads-getting-an-extended-edition-but-whats-b-1787444148

I suppose I'll have to check this out just to see if Leto's Joker is any better with more footage.  I still maintain there's a (small) chance that his performance was hurt by the extensive meddling and editing the studio arranged.  I doubt that the movie itself will end up being better, though.  Also, JL has wrapped filming, and they've released a fun video of some of the behind the scenes shenanigans:

Alas, we've been here before:

George

« Reply #542 on: October 12, 2016, 11:41:00 PM »
http://io9.gizmodo.com/our-first-look-at-justice-leagues-mera-queen-of-atlant-1787709305

The concept art seems a bit too weird and alien to me, but in live action, she looks great.  Of course, Snyder had to be edgy and drain out all the color as usual.  Still, at least not everything about Aquaman is going to be desperately trying to convince us how badass and hardcore it really is.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 13, 2016, 08:12:40 AM »
Justice League is going to be awful. DC could barely juggle two superheroes in BvS.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 13, 2016, 09:55:28 AM »
It might be awful, but it's gonna be cool.
The Mastery.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 04, 2016, 04:23:40 AM »
Apparently Doctor Stranger premiered over a week ago here. derp.
Gonna watch tonight.
The Mastery.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 04, 2016, 04:40:12 AM »
Apparently Doctor Stranger premiered over a week ago here. derp.
Gonna watch tonight.

While you aren't the most controversial member on this forum, I'd still like to know what you think of it.

George

« Reply #548 on: December 14, 2016, 05:39:47 PM »
The extended version of Suicide Squad was released digitally a couple of weeks ago, and not much is changed from the theatrical cut.  A handful of extra lines are sprinkled throughout it, and all the added scenes can be seen here:

The only thing I'll credit it with is that I think I see the arc Ayer was trying to give the Joker - something about how he tries to resolve his discomfort when faced with the prospect of a woman's love by murdering her, only to eventually realize that he's fallen in love with her too and refuse to go through with it.  Interesting idea, but both the writing and Leto's performance would need a lot more nuance for it to work.  Also, you might notice there are still some scenes prominently shown in the trailers that still weren't included here, most notably the one with the Joker holding a grenade.  Maybe they'll be included with the deleted scenes on the DVD.

Now that you don't need to pay to watch it (lol piracy), has anyone else seen it?  Roundy?  I'm looking for an excuse to complain and nitpick again.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/gotham-city-sirens-movie-david-ayer-margot-robbie-reteam-all-female-dc-villains-project-

Ayer is directing again?  Your movies aren't going to get any better if you keep rewarding critical failure like this, WB!  At least he isn't writing it, I guess?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 14, 2016, 05:52:56 PM »
The extended version of Suicide Squad was released digitally

How else would it be released?

George

« Reply #550 on: December 14, 2016, 06:20:56 PM »
Physically, via DVD or Blu-ray.  Which happened just yesterday, it looks like.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 14, 2016, 07:15:18 PM »

Both DVD and BR are digital media.

Rama Set

« Reply #552 on: December 14, 2016, 08:05:26 PM »
What a fascinating exchange.

George

« Reply #553 on: December 14, 2016, 08:09:28 PM »

Both DVD and BR are digital media.

They store digital information, but they aren't digital in and of themselves.  You can hold a disc in your hand.  It's a physical object.  You can't hold a digital file in your hand.  Now please discuss the important issue of capeshit.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 14, 2016, 10:33:25 PM »
They store digital information, but they aren't digital in and of themselves.  You can hold a disc in your hand.  It's a physical object. You can't hold a digital file in your hand.

Digital and physical are terms that are not comparable in that way. Maybe when speaking colloquially, but since this is a place of pedants, it is worth pointing out. Even if you were to download on iTunes or stream from Netflix, there is still a physical object that the digital files reside on. Regardless of downloading to your local hard drive, streaming from someone else's hard drive, or using a different physical media, the content is still digital.

Now please discuss the important issue of capeshit.

Not this capeshit. SS was terrible; why do you want to keep diving into it? I will say I enjoyed it the first time I watched it when I was hammered. Seeing it a second time while sober cleared up my misunderstanding.

Talk about some interesting capeshit. Like maybe the new Spiderman.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:35:49 PM by junker »

George

« Reply #555 on: December 15, 2016, 12:32:11 AM »
Even if you were to download on iTunes or stream from Netflix, there is still a physical object that the digital files reside on.

Well, no shit.  It hardly floats above our heads in the ether.  But you aren't buying that physical object when you pay to stream or download a movie, you're only buying the file itself.

Regardless of downloading to your local hard drive, streaming from someone else's hard drive, or using a different physical media, the content is still digital.

I know that.  I literally just said that:

They store digital information

You have no ammo.  Even pedantically, you're just rephrasing what I said and acting like that makes me wrong.  Digital distribution is a thing, and it's a separate thing to selling DVDs and Blu-rays.

Not this capeshit. SS was terrible; why do you want to keep diving into it? I will say I enjoyed it the first time I watched it when I was hammered. Seeing it a second time while sober cleared up my misunderstanding.

Talk about some interesting capeshit. Like maybe the new Spiderman.

I guess I've just sort of seen this thread as being for DC capeshit because it started out as all about Batfleck.  But, very well.  On the notion of Spider-Man:

Looks fun.  I might be more excited if there hadn't already been five movies about this guy, but I suppose they've got to keep milking the biggest moneymaker.  And Michael Keaton is always great, although I still maintain that he was miscast in the Burtman movies.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 15, 2016, 04:28:22 AM »
Suicide Squad's extended cut was hilarious. I watched it so my nephew and friend could see it as well. We just spent the whole time ripping on it and making fun of it. Just sitting there and going "we some kinda...hara-kiri harem?" any time Deadshot stepped up to speak, making fun of Heath Lesser's laugh, just tearing it a new one.

This has become a new tradition with the DC films. I'm finally excited for them.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 15, 2016, 06:40:07 AM »
But you aren't buying that physical object when you pay to stream or download a movie, you're only buying the file itself.

Actually, no, Mr. e-lawyer, you are not buying the file itself. You are buying a license to use the file (regardless of the medium used).

You have no ammo.  Even pedantically, you're just rephrasing what I said and acting like that makes me wrong.  Digital distribution is a thing, and it's a separate thing to selling DVDs and Blu-rays.

You should stick to things you are good at, such as being the most controversial member of the forum. You know words have meanings, right? Physical and digital are not comparable how you are using them, period. Just because others use a term incorrectly doesn't make your position correct.

I guess I've just sort of seen this thread as being for DC capeshit because it started out as all about Batfleck.  But, very well.  On the notion of Spider-Man:

Looks fun.  I might be more excited if there hadn't already been five movies about this guy, but I suppose they've got to keep milking the biggest moneymaker.  And Michael Keaton is always great, although I still maintain that he was miscast in the Burtman movies.

Now we are getting somewhere. I think this Spiderman movie has an interesting backstory. Especially with Sony and the weird licensing agreement, and how the last trilogy got nixed, etc. This iteration of Spiderman was the highlight of Avengers 2.5 aka CA: Civil War (which was a very mediocre installment on the whole). I am really looking forward to this one.

EDIT - Spiderman is objectively the best superhero ever.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 06:50:50 AM by junker »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 16, 2016, 02:23:40 PM »
Speaking of Suicide Squad...

Haley Quinn is getting her own solo movie and she'll be Hella Gay.

Side note: I remember watching Batman: The Aminated Series growing up.  I never knew Harley Quinn was created in that series.  Kinda gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling seeing the first iteration of a character when it was new.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 16, 2016, 02:32:04 PM »
Speaking of Suicide Squad...

Haley Quinn is getting her own solo movie and she'll be Hella Gay.

Side note: I remember watching Batman: The Aminated Series growing up.  I never knew Harley Quinn was created in that series.  Kinda gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling seeing the first iteration of a character when it was new.

Another abortion set in this godawful DCU?