Student Researching this Discourse Community
« on: March 16, 2021, 11:43:44 PM »
Hello, I'm a college freshmen from USA, who is researching the Flat Earth Society as a discourse community for my English writing class. I'm not necessarily interested into Flat Earth theory, or to debate or argue, but instead would like to interview anyone on here willing to private message me and ask a few questions who have been a member of the community for a while. I would like to learn the  lingo, terminology, knowledge, and structure of the discourse community and why you believe the things you believe. Like I said earlier, I'm not here to judge, insult, debate, or argue the theory, or the science, but just want to investigate this unique discourse community. If you would be interested in a personal private and civil conversation I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Re: Student Researching this Discourse Community
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 12:49:03 AM »
Welcome!

I'm most happy to answer any questions if I can, however I'd prefer to do so without private messages (in the, likely vain, hope that our conversation might be of benefit to more than just us)

What questions do you have (if not about the science, theory, posits etc)?

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 02:20:45 AM »
1.Why do you believe in the Flat Earth Theory?
2. How do you know who's "In" or "Out" of this Discourse Community?
3.How Long have you been here?
4.Why are you involved?
5. What does "Noob" mean?
6.How do you communicate with other Flat Earth Theory DC members?
7.Are there conflicts in this Discourse Community? If so, what are they?
8.Do some have difficulty writing or speaking here?
9.Who has authority here? How is it written? Where does that authority come from?
10.Are members stereotyped in any way? Why?
Thank you.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 09:00:26 AM »
1.Why do you believe in the Flat Earth Theory?

I don't.  In fact, I endaevour to excise belief from knowledge/fact entirely (especially scientific).  Belief, also known as bias, is across purposes to objective study of any kind.

In my view, there is no flat earth theory (in a scientific context of the word).  The shape of the world being, generally, flat is a posit (and for others, a conclusion and/or belief).

I am more accurately described as a "globe skeptic/denier".

2. How do you know who's "In" or "Out" of this Discourse Community?

By who posts here!  It's an internet forum, not a community.  Many of the most active posters are RE proponents, and staunchly opposed to any other shape for the world (in possibility, and especially in actuality)

3.How Long have you been here?

I've been most active for about a year, and have had my account for roughly 2.

4.Why are you involved?

Now THAT'S a challenging question.

In the most general, I am here for rational discourse with others.

In the most specific, I am here to disseminate and expose my research findings, conclusions, and approaches to scrutiny/criticism.

5. What does "Noob" mean?

Seriously? Is this your first time using an internet forum?  Google can answer your "noob" question. Lol. It is short for "newbie"; someone who doesn't have experience.

6.How do you communicate with other Flat Earth Theory DC members?

Words mostly, sometimes a picture / video or two.  It is important to note that flat earth research is not localized entirely to this forum (tfes).  As your questions seem limited to tfes in particular, the answer would seem to be - this internet forum.

7.Are there conflicts in this Discourse Community? If so, what are they?

People suck, is the short answer.  Conflicts are inevitable as a direct result.

If you read the FAQ/Wiki/Read before posting content (which you really should), you will find that this site proper (the "upper fora") is actually not for discourse at all - it's for debate (which inherently involves conflict)

8.Do some have difficulty writing or speaking here?

Absolutely, for a myriad of reasons.

Sometimes the rules of the forum are not followed (such as reading the content I mentioned before posting), sometimes rules of debate are violated, and sometimes the ire of the mods is invoked (for a variety of other reasons).

9.Who has authority here? How is it written? Where does that authority come from?

It's an internet forum.  Administrators and moderators have the authority.  The authority stems from ownership, typically.

10.Are members stereotyped in any way? Why?

Of course.  In general stereotypes are used to remove the burden of the necessity to evaluate people individually.  It's to save time, and to keep separate/categorize.

RE proponents are generally stereotyped as fundamentalist religious zealots, and FE proponents are generally stereotyped as morons/"conspiracists"/crazies.

Did I mention that stereotypes almost always contain at least a "grain of truth"?

In any case it is both reductivist and dehumanizing to view (or treat) an individual person as a / by stereotype.

Please let me know if you need/want any further clarification!

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 12:06:38 PM »
In the most specific, I am here to disseminate and expose my research findings ...

I think I've asked you this already, but;

What are those findings? What did you actually do to arrive at them? Essentially, what form did your research take?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 06:24:05 PM »
@tumeni

Unless the OP is interested (which they initially stated they were not), I don't think we should clutter up this thread with it.

You have likely already been given the answer, and it is certainly in my post history.