Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
Re: No Religion= Peace
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2017, 08:56:14 PM »

Revelations 1.

I sense John-boy has jumped to an erroneous conclusion, thank you Rushy, up till then I thought we were getting on just fine.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2017, 10:14:08 PM »
Jura is damaged goods. I don't think she can be saved. :(

Jura is a dude, dude.

If Jura wants to be identified as male she should choose a gender-appropriate avatar. Otherwise I'll call her as I see her.

That's a male avatar you sexist scumbag.

Don't you force your politics on me. I know a chick when I see one.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2017, 11:49:24 PM »
Jura is damaged goods. I don't think she can be saved. :(

Jura is a dude, dude.

If Jura wants to be identified as male she should choose a gender-appropriate avatar. Otherwise I'll call her as I see her.

That's a male avatar you sexist scumbag.

Don't you force your politics on me. I know a chick when I see one.

>implying

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2017, 04:51:13 AM »
I always thought Jura's avatar was Jane Volturi. (The best vamp in twilight IMO)
Come to mention it, she is missing the red eyes, maybe she's wearing contacts.

In the seventies, a photographer opened up a new business in our town and took photos of everyone who came into the shop and put them up on his front window for people to vote on.
I had my photo taken and months later I went to pick it up, anyway, they couldn't find it for ages and it finally turned up in the under tens girls section, (I was thirteen) whats even worse, I didn't get a single vote either.  :'(
A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline Boodidlie

• God is sovereign and I'm just along for the ride
    • View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2017, 04:26:43 AM »
No Religion= Peace ..... really ??

What about the Atheist ?

When Christopher Hitchens observes that .. “Religion is violent .. irrational .. intolerant .. allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry .. invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry .. contemptuous of women and coercive toward children" .. he is both right and wrong . . . . . Hitchens is right because humankind is sinful and selfish .. Indeed .. I believe it was G.K. Chesterton who said that the one Christian doctrine that was demonstrably provable .. even to casual observers .. was the sinfulness and depravity of man .. Thus .. human expressions of the religious impulse will inevitably produce some religious practices and beliefs that would fit Hitchens’ rather grim description . . . . Human history is replete with such flawed expressions of religious faith

However . . this would be true of all secular philosophies and ideologies as well ..
Three of the most heinous and barbaric ideologies .. which produced the greatest cruelties and violations of humanity in the 20th century ..
were fascism .. Nazism and communism . . . . all secular

Hitchens is wrong in that he condemns all religious expression to the category of such violent and negative expressions . . .
Many of the noblest expressions of humanity throughout the centuries have been performed in the name of religion . . .
One thinks of William Wilberforce and his long campaign to end the slave trade in the British Empire . . .
Both the British and American abolitionist movements were founded .. nurtured .. financed and led to victory against the horrific evil of slavery by people who were most often inspired and motivated by deep religious conviction

The great social reform movements of the last half of the 19th and the first half of the 20th century ( child labor reform .. etc ) were often led by people of deep religious faith .. Protestant and Catholic

And of course .. in the lifetime of many of us who were born in the last half of the 20th century .. the most successful and greatest reform movement was the civil rights revolution .. led by a Baptist minister .. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr .. who often said that the movement and the faith that inspired it could not be separated . . . As many will remember .. the civil rights revolution was supported by and led to victory in large part because of the leadership of clergy .. black and white

Lastly .. one is led to ask Mr. Hitchens some questions ..

• Where are the great atheist-sponsored charitable and reform movements ?
• Where are the atheist children homes and orphanages ? ( no .. the government will not count )
• Where are the atheist leaders who are taking vows of poverty and giving themselves in sacrificial service to others ?

As Arthur C. Brooks .. professor at Syracuse University .. points out in his recent book .. Who Really Cares ? (2006): Religious people are far more generous with their own time and money than secularists .. Brooks concludes .. “Religious folks are by far the most charitable people in America today”

. . . . . Dr Richard Land

ps: please keep in mind why the world hates Christians .... Jesus said it would be this way

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:26:33 PM by Boodidlie »
..................................................... ><> God's ability is according to his will <><

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2017, 03:13:02 PM »

I think if you read back, most/all of the secular or non-believers were against the original premiss, which was proposed by a believer, so I’m a bit surprised at the somewhat jumbled attempt to defend against an atheist’s attack that wasn’t there.

There are a few inaccuracies or contradictions that do need addressing.

Yes, Many Christians were against slavery, however Pope Nicholas V, gods top man in 1452 wasn’t, as he issued a Papal Bull giving it the thumbs up, and even god himself seemed ambivalent, when you say as part of your commandments “thou shalt not covert thy neighbour’s slave” it’s not out of the question to argue, that having them is fine but just don’t get all jealous if the Joneses slave is better than yours. Indeed, many of the southern states who wanted to keep slavery, used bible quotes to back up their case.

As for you lot having all the compassion that too is bollocks, there are many secular charities as there are atheist good people (Richard Carlile, Robin Cavendish, William L Moore, Baba Amte, Henry Salt, look them up for yourself).

Also, a study at the University of Chicago, in collaboration with other universities in 6 countries using game play amongst children came to the conclusion that the children of non-believers were more generous than those of believers, see; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11979235/Muslims-and-Christians-less-generous-than-atheists-study-finds.html. Who’d have thunk it?

If I wished to give you a list of the terrible things done in the name of god, you know I could.

For me, bad people do bad things and there are examples from all walks of life, as I have stated, religion isn’t the only reason people have wars.

If I have a problem with religion, it is that some parts are anti science, particularly the creationists, who have the same aptitude for denial of solid proof as flat earthers.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2017, 04:45:13 PM »
Yo Boddie... want an athiest guy who helps others?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalai_Lama

Have fun with that.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Boodidlie

• View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2017, 07:04:28 PM »
Yo Boddie... want an athiest guy who helps others? .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalai_Lama .. Have fun with that.

Yo lordie .... I'm sure he (Dalai) does help others ...
however, all who would hate and hurt another person is one who does not believe God ....
oh they might believe "in" a god or even in no god, but either way what I'm responding to is the thread title: "No Religion = Peace"
as if atheism is the only "belief" that can establish peace .. or that one could eliminate belief (religion) altogether .... even the atheist as a belief

one world religion is literally the goal of most religions in the world.  Christians, Jews, and Muslims all want there to be only one world religion
Satan (according to the Bible) is the god of this world .... and indeed he will attempt to unite a One-World-Religion ... < so predicted
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:19:37 PM by Boodidlie »
..................................................... ><> God's ability is according to his will <><

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2017, 07:13:06 PM »
Yo Boddie... want an athiest guy who helps others? .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalai_Lama .. Have fun with that.

Yo lordie .... I'm sure he (Dalai) does help others ...
however, all who would hate and hurt another person is one who does not believe God ....
oh they might believe "in" a god or even in no god, but either way what I'm responding to is the thread title: "No Religion = Peace"
as if one could eliminate belief (religion) .... even the atheist as a belief

one world religion is literally the goal of most religions in the world.  Christians, Jews, and Muslims all want there to be only one world religion
Satan (according to the Bible) is the god of this world .... and indeed he will attempt to unite a One-World-Religion ... < so predicted

You wanted to show an Athiest leader who did good.
I did.
Everything else you said is irrelevant.

(Also, atheism isn't a belief because to believe in something, you have to accept something as truth without evidence.  So what do you call something that you don't accept BECAUSE there is no evidence? 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Boodidlie

• View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2017, 07:22:19 PM »
atheism isn't a belief because blah blah blah

um, change the word "belief" and replace it with "adherence to" ....
my world view is an equation that includes God
your world view is an equation that excludes God ..... both are a belief

you have to accept something as truth without evidence
you cannot prove evolution .... however I can prove that all life (DNA) is derived from an intelligent source < have fun w/ that

So what do you call something that you don't accept BECAUSE there is no evidence? .... evolution

You wanted to show an Atheist leader who did good. I did. ... I did ??

Lord Dave = Evolution has been proven / Language is not Code
Rama Set = You have misunderstood evolution.  It (evolution) is neither random nor undirected
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:18:01 PM by Boodidlie »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2017, 07:10:18 AM »
Evolution has been proven.

But now I'm bored.  You aren't even playing with good semantics. :/.

3/10 trolling.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2017, 02:10:26 PM »
So what do you call something that you don't accept BECAUSE there is no evidence? .... evolution

What a bizarre set of points. The author keeps making one argument in particular and just rephrasing it somewhat each time - that the atheistic view is inherently nihilistic and there's no motivation for anything beyond the life of an animal in it. Even if that's true - and I think it says a lot more about the author's cynicism than anybody else's that he's so convinced of it - it doesn't make it the tiniest bit more likely that God is real.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2017, 08:19:37 PM »
atheism isn't a belief because blah blah blah

um, change the word "belief" and replace it with "adherence to" ....
my world view is an equation that includes God
your world view is an equation that excludes God ..... both are a belief

you have to accept something as truth without evidence
you cannot prove evolution .... however I can prove that all life (DNA) is derived from an intelligent source < have fun w/ that

You wanted to show an Atheist leader who did good. I did. ... I did ??

Please stop directing us to horrible lectures, to most non US posters the voice alone will mean they won't get further than than the opening words (whiney and smug).
If you can't summarise or argue the points yourself perhaps you shouldn't be doing this. 

Offline Boodidlie

• View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2017, 11:44:06 PM »

um, no ..... no it has not, in fact, evolution is impossible .... because life (DNA) is more than random matter ....
life is information < how did it derive from chaotic randomness .. impossible

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:48:57 PM by Boodidlie »

Offline Boodidlie

• View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2017, 12:02:54 AM »
it doesn't make it the tiniest bit more likely that God is real.

If God is not real to you, it's because God has not called you nor revealed himself to you ....
according to your own wisdom, you cannot find God
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:11:30 AM by Boodidlie »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2017, 07:48:31 AM »

um, no ..... no it has not, in fact, evolution is impossible .... because life (DNA) is more than random matter ....
life is information < how did it derive from chaotic randomness .. impossible

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._coli_long-term_evolution_experiment

2. DNA is not a language.  Its encoded protein chains.  Your links state that low level communication isn't language yet then claim that dna, which is nothing more than a literal blueprint, is language.  Tell me, if whale songs and bee dances aren't language, why are molecular legos?  DNA is a binary code.  Morse code isn't a language either. 

Maybe you should define language first, before you go off on saying what is or isn't a language.

While you're at it, look up impossible because I think you have it confused with improbable.

Offline Boodidlie

• View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2017, 05:05:44 PM »
Maybe you should define language first, before you go off on saying what is or isn't a language.

CODE IS DEFINED as communication between an encoder ( a writer or speaker ) and a decoder ( a reader or listener ) using agreed upon symbols . . . DNA's definition as a LITERAL CODE ( and not a figurative one ) is nearly universal in the entire body of biological literature since the 1960's . . . DNA code has much in common with human language and computer languages . . . DNA transcription is an encoding / decoding mechanism isomorphic with Claude Shannon's 1948 model: .. The sequence of base pairs is encoded into messenger RNA which is decoded into proteins .. Genetic information passes from DNA to an RNA copy and then is READ in the cell by the the ribosome which makes a protein molecule based on the genetic information encoded in DNA . . . This is the central tenet of molecular biology . . . Information theory terms and ideas applied to DNA are not metaphorical .. but in fact quite literal in every way . . . In other words .. the information theory argument for design is not based on analogy at all .. it is direct application of mathematics to DNA .. which by definition is a code

While you're at it, look up impossible because I think you have it confused with improbable.
  .. um, no .... I mean impossible

DNA is a binary code.  Morse code isn't a language either

was morse code derived by undirected random chance ... or was morse code derived by an intelligence

btw: .... name any code which came about via non-intelligence

um, no ..... that is why evolution is referred to as a THEORY
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:40:11 PM by Boodidlie »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2017, 03:01:07 PM »
Language is not Code.
Please try again.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2017, 03:19:12 PM »
um, no ..... that is why evolution is referred to as a THEORY

Not this dusty old fallacy again. The very first thing we see in this link is:

a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.

That's what "theory" means in this context. That the word can mean something else in a different context is irrelevant.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Rama Set

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2017, 04:04:08 PM »
>mfw arguing evolution with a christian