Consider Renaming the wiki
« on: May 12, 2019, 10:19:00 PM »
Hi, new user here.

As your "wiki" is not publicly editable it would probably be best to not call it a wiki, as being publicly editable is what makes a wiki a wiki.  (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki#Characteristics)

Maybe it would make more sense to label it as "Information" or "About the Flat Earth Society"?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Consider Renaming the wiki
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 08:19:09 AM »
It is publicly editable, albeit with some checks and balances. Any reasonably established member of the forum can request an account, subject to my approval. In addition, anyone without an account can post edit suggestions in the Projects board.

Realistically, a lot of the traffic we get is from bored schoolkids who are looking to troll. Those are fairly easy to weed out from a forum, but the maintenance cost of the Wiki would go through the roof.

Over the years, we've had a large number of contributors come and go, some long-standing an active, others just making a few one-off contributions. While I readily admit that this wasn't recently the case (with the brunt of contributions coming from Tom, and occasional adjustments from me), I see no reason to rename the Wiki to reflect this temporary state.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 10:29:34 AM »
It is publicly editable, albeit with some checks and balances. Any reasonably established member of the forum can request an account, subject to my approval. In addition, anyone without an account can post edit suggestions in the Projects board.

Realistically, a lot of the traffic we get is from bored schoolkids who are looking to troll. Those are fairly easy to weed out from a forum, but the maintenance cost of the Wiki would go through the roof.

Over the years, we've had a large number of contributors come and go, some long-standing an active, others just making a few one-off contributions. While I readily admit that this wasn't recently the case (with the brunt of contributions coming from Tom, and occasional adjustments from me), I see no reason to rename the Wiki to reflect this temporary state.

You should really add a category-system. In the Wiki's current state it's really hard to get a comprehensive overview of FE.

As a long-time Wiki-admin, I can tell you that manually updated lists are no match for a category-system.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 01:52:08 AM »
I like the category-system idea. There are now hundreds of pages and it's getting unwieldy to organize. I'm not sure how we should better categorize it though.