shootingstar

Re: Another FEW Question...
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 10:36:55 AM »
If this Universal Accelerator that flat Earthers refer to is real then what is the driving force behind it? What causes the acceleration? 

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 10:56:21 AM »
I always find it weird how people like Tom can sneer at the concept of gravitons and declare that the mechanism behind gravity is unknown and therefore the whole idea is ridiculous and simultaneously believe in so many FE concepts the mechanisms behind which are "unknown".
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 11:23:14 AM »
I only see two proposed ideas of the force behind UA. That is in the TFES wiki, to which us REers are referred to all the time when we ask a question. So, ergo the members of TFES believe in one of those ideas. If not, improve your wiki.
BobLawBlah.

shootingstar

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 11:43:44 AM »
It still seems to me that flat Earthers in general find it very easy to dismiss and almost ridicule many aspects of RET yet when they are asked specific questions about FET and the reasons behind it they are unable to be specific and say much of it is down to speculation.  Much of FET seems to reflect many of the scientific ideas that were floating around a century or two ago.  There is very little more recent than that which I can find.

With respect to the flat Earth community there is a lot more evidence to support gravity than there is to support anything else.  Whenever a comment is made to the effect of 'mechanism is unknown' I interpret that to actually mean 'I can't or won't accept the current scientific model which exists but I cannot come up with a better idea and am not willing to admit it'.  In other words don't knock an idea unless you can come up with something better which can be verified and tested.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:54:14 AM by shootingstar »

Offline Bad Puppy

• Belief does not make something a theory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 12:05:58 PM »
Incorrect, Pete has made a claim in another post and states he believes it to be an aether.

Let me rephrase, per the Wiki, UA is described as a force that is created either by dark matter or another exotic matter.  I cannot observe this with my eyes looking outside a window. Therefore, it does not exist.

Oh yeah.  Dark matter.  How does FET accept it, considering it has not been directly observed (so, count out the zetetic method), and its theoretical effects have been observed via NASA instruments (not trusted by FE) located in space (never been there according to FET)?

Who says that we do? That was one idea listed among a number of others.

Quote from: The Wiki
β - the Bishop constant, named in honour of the great Flat Earth zetetic Dr. Tom Bishop, which defines the magnitude of the acceleration on a horizontal light ray due to Dark Energy. When the theory is complete, attempts will be made to measure this experimentally.

The wiki does. In the Electromagnetic Accelerator section. Named after, oh look, Tom Bishop.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
...circles do not exist and pi is not 3.14159...

Quote from: totallackey
Do you have any evidence of reality?

shootingstar

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 12:32:39 PM »
I'm a bit confused about this whole electromagnetic accelerator because isn't the speed of light one of the most universal constants in nature? c = 299, 792,458m/s? Light can be slowed down but it cannot be accelerated.

totallackey

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 04:47:32 PM »
What about the guy on the ISS who looked out his window and definitely saw that the earth was a sphere?  Why shouldn't I believe him?    Some of the ISS guys are amateur radio operators and talk to other amateurs on the ground (world wide).  I've actually heard them talk myself.  Does that make me part of the conspiracy?  I'm not a Mason, nor have I ever worked for NASA.  It sounds like there are some serious questions here and no answers available, even from Tom.
Do you have a quote from someone on the ISS?

totallackey

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 04:52:25 PM »
I always find it weird how people like Tom can... declare that the mechanism behind gravity is unknown...
Do you find it weird when NdGT states the same thing?

Or did we miss something and the mechanisms are now identified?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 05:11:12 PM »
I always find it weird how people like Tom can... declare that the mechanism behind gravity is unknown...

What you missed was the second part of my post. It's not that some things in science remain undiscovered which I find weird, it's that Tom uses that fact to sneer at science but yet is quite happy to believe in FET and openly state that most of the mechanisms behind the ideas are unknown. You can't have it both ways. Yes, science has a bigger budget but that doesn't mean they're going to have all the answers. Especially when in the last century we've discovered things like Relativity and Quantum Theory. The more we look into the workings of the universe the more complicated it all seems.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

shootingstar

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 05:20:30 PM »

Would it make any difference to your thoughts if he did? Afterall it would only be a voice coming out of a speaker.  I have no doubts about it but I can't see you accepting a voice as evidence.  The school where I work once set up a Skype link with the ISS and not only could we speak to the astronauts we could actually see them as well.  There was no funding for that. One of the science teachers had a contact at the ESA control centre who arranged it for us and the rest was set up with a bit of IT know how.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:24:16 PM by shootingstar »

totallackey

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2019, 11:51:32 AM »

Would it make any difference to your thoughts if he did? Afterall it would only be a voice coming out of a speaker.  I have no doubts about it but I can't see you accepting a voice as evidence.  The school where I work once set up a Skype link with the ISS and not only could we speak to the astronauts we could actually see them as well.  There was no funding for that. One of the science teachers had a contact at the ESA control centre who arranged it for us and the rest was set up with a bit of IT know how.
If I stated I had a quote from an astronaut claiming he couldn't see stars or didn't see a spherical earth or didn't photograph or videotape a spherical earth (Apollo 11, for instance) that immediately gets called into question by RE adherents as being,"...not what they really meant," or, "...you don't understand..."

Get off your high horse.

I don't care what your freaking opinion is about the question or belief about the issue as a whole.

The guy I addressed my post to either has the goods relevant to what he claimed or he doesn't.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2019, 12:08:26 PM »

If I stated I had a quote from an astronaut claiming he couldn't see stars or didn't see a spherical earth or didn't photograph or videotape a spherical earth (Apollo 11, for instance) that immediately gets called into question by RE adherents as being,"...not what they really meant," or, "...you don't understand..."

Get off your high horse.

I don't care what your freaking opinion is about the question or belief about the issue as a whole.

The guy I addressed my post to either has the goods relevant to what he claimed or he doesn't.
It's a pointless question if you're already unwilling to believe or acknowledge his answers. Why not try listening in on the ISS yourself instead? Anyone should be able to do it just fine and they make contact with schools sometimes as well.

https://amsat-uk.org/beginners/how-to-hear-the-iss/

Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

totallackey

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 12:37:01 PM »

What you missed was the second part of my post. It's not that some things in science remain undiscovered which I find weird, it's that Tom uses that fact to sneer at science but yet is quite happy to believe in FET and openly state that most of the mechanisms behind the ideas are unknown. You can't have it both ways. Yes, science has a bigger budget but that doesn't mean they're going to have all the answers. Especially when in the last century we've discovered things like Relativity and Quantum Theory. The more we look into the workings of the universe the more complicated it all seems.
Things would get kinda complicated...

Utter BS being injected into the pursuit of knowledge tends to complicate things...

No surprise there...

totallackey

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 12:37:58 PM »

Get off your high horse.

It's a pointless question if you're already unwilling to believe or acknowledge his answers. Why not try listening in on the ISS yourself instead? Anyone should be able to do it just fine and they make contact with schools sometimes as well.

So, are you an alt admitting he has no quote?

totallackey

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 01:40:25 PM »

Tom does not sneer at science.

Where do you get off making that ridiculous claim?

Tom justifiably sneers at the piling of obvious lies and deliberate deception being pandered about by these charlatans today like so much cotton candy at a county fair, in support of the initial obvious lie and deception.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:35:36 AM by totallackey »

shootingstar

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2019, 01:50:08 PM »
Tom does not sneer at science.

Really..? I must have ben misunderstanding him then.  Only the aspects of science he doesn't agree with I guess.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2019, 02:10:24 PM »

Get off your high horse.

Your baseless assumptions are an obvious sign that you're not interested in pursuing that data and information for yourself and are clearly quite happy to just stay believing your own thing which is fine, but in that case maybe not bother asking obviously pointless questions. My point was that he may well come back to you with direct quotes of people having conversations over radio with the ISS, but you have made it clear you don't care either way and so before he bothers wasting his time, I offer you an alternative to find out for yourself first hand whether or not people converse with other people on the ISS. Unless you are willing to look into it for yourself (because let's face it, you won't believe him if he posts a random quote) there's really no point in your arguing it to be false.

"Do you have a quote from someone on the Flat Earth?" - see how pointless that same question is? If you say yes and quote someone, what does that even prove or disprove and why should I believe it's a quote from someone on a flat earth and not anywhere else from anyone else? If the FE way is to find the answers yourself then go do it rather than relying on secondhand, unverifiable quotes of people you think don't exist anyway.
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

totallackey

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2019, 02:23:47 PM »

Get off your high horse.

Your baseless assumptions are an obvious sign that you're not interested in pursuing that data and information for yourself and are clearly quite happy to just stay believing your own thing which is fine, but in that case maybe not bother asking obviously pointless questions. My point was that he may well come back to you with direct quotes of people having conversations over radio with the ISS, but you have made it clear you don't care either way and so before he bothers wasting his time, I offer you an alternative to find out for yourself first hand whether or not people converse with other people on the ISS. Unless you are willing to look into it for yourself (because let's face it, you won't believe him if he posts a random quote) there's really no point in your arguing it to be false.

"Do you have a quote from someone on the Flat Earth?" - see how pointless that same question is? If you say yes and quote someone, what does that even prove or disprove and why should I believe it's a quote from someone on a flat earth and not anywhere else from anyone else? If the FE way is to find the answers yourself then go do it rather than relying on secondhand, unverifiable quotes of people you think don't exist anyway.
MY earnest reply to this utter tripe you posted can be found where it belongs.

https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=11886.0

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2019, 01:18:20 AM »
There. That's where you said it. Bingo.
I can see why you'd think so, but you have to try and understand my role here. I'm much more interested in being an archivist and custodian than an advocate. I help with gathering knowledge and building a platform to spread it through.

My only intention was to state that people usually describe it as an aetheric wind. I don't recall the full context of the conversation, but I strongly suspect that you wouldn't find any element of personal involvement in it. Personally, I have no interest in guessing, and I'm not particularly afraid of unknowns. If you want to know my opinion, I can only tell you what's observable - and aether is not.

Is it possible? Sure. Am I stating it as a personal belief? No. Does that mean I'm ruling it out? Also no.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:23:48 AM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2019, 02:32:26 AM »
That is a cop out of a reply if I ever saw one, Pete. Your intentions? You speak extremely plainly to everyone here. You would have said your intention in that quote I referenced.
BobLawBlah.