Offline timterroo

• domo arigato gozaimashita
    • View Profile
Re: The rotation of the sun
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 06:15:47 PM »
The speed of a needle on a record on a record player also changes when it is closer or further from the center. Would you say that the record needs to "change speeds" to achieve that?
Are you suggesting that the Earth rotates beneath the sun, rather that the sun spinning above the Earth? As that's the only way to make your analogy applicable.

I think Tom is claiming the sun has a constant angular velocity rather than a constant linear velocity.

Actually, as a record (or CD/DVD) spins in the drive and the needle (or eye) moves closer or further from the center, the angular velocity of the record (or CD/DVD) increases as it moves closer and decreases as it moves further. This is contrary to how the sun should move in FET. It should slow down towards the center and speed up towards the exterior. However, the analogy does not work because CD/DVD are intentionally sped up when the eye is in the center and the RPM is slowed down at the outer of the disk in order to create continuity as the data bits are read - constant linear velocity.

The speed of a needle on a record on a record player also changes when it is closer or further from the center. Would you say that the record needs to "change speeds" to achieve that?

Also, Tom, to directly answer your question, yes, the record needs to "change speeds" to achieve that. And it does change speeds. But again, I don't think that analogy quite fits since the record needs constant linear velocity, the sun needs constant angular velocity.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:26:21 PM by timterroo »
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

Offline timterroo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 06:47:12 PM »
Ok, after some thought I think I understand what Tom was saying.

Let's suppose for a minute that the earth rotates under the sun. It spins like a record but it doesn't have to change speeds as the sun moves from the inside to the outside as seasons change. If the speed of the spinning earth remains constant, the circular path of the sun will always  take 24 hours regardless of the Suns distance from the center of rotation.

Now keep the same mechancs, but instead of the earth rotating, the sun does the rotating. That should work out. Aside the fact that it still seems to defy newtons law.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:51:15 PM by timterroo »
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 07:40:57 PM »
Tom, is the FE sun subject to rotational forces such as centripetal and/or centrifugal force?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline BigGuyWhoKills

• Not flat, not stationary
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 08:09:21 PM »
Actually, as a record (or CD/DVD) spins in the drive and the needle (or eye) moves closer or further from the center, the angular velocity of the record (or CD/DVD) increases as it moves closer and decreases as it moves further.

Just to be pedantic, record players are CAV, while audio CDs, video DVDs, and video Blu-rays are CLV.  Data optical discs can be either CAV or CLV.

So the needle of a record player will cover more ground at the start of each side (outside) than it will at the end (inside).  The result was greater fidelity at the beginning of each side, because the needle was covering more linear space each second, and could pack more detail into each second.

This was well known to mastering engineers (and bands), and they would often take this into consideration when deciding what order to put the tracks on a record.  Audio CDs eliminated this concern with CLV.  Each "pit" took up the exact same linear distance, and each second had the exact same number of "pits".  If you have an audio CD player with a window showing the disk as it spins, you can see the speed change when you skip tracks.  This is especially visible when skipping from the last track to the first on a long CD.

Here is a neat image to help keep them straight.

On an AE FE map, the sun would have to be CAV for a day to be a consistent 24 hours.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:11:16 PM by BigGuyWhoKills »
I am not here to convert you.  I want to know enough to be able to defend the RE model.

Offline BigGuyWhoKills

• Not flat, not stationary
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 08:39:29 PM »
What is this other force that causes the sun (and moon) to defy Newton's Law?

In addition to the rotational speed changes, what is the force that causes the sun and moon to move in and out (to different "tracks")?

I think these questions fall into the FE category of "we don't yet know".  Often when we RE'ers ask these questions, we don't get answers.
I am not here to convert you.  I want to know enough to be able to defend the RE model.

Offline timterroo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 08:49:21 PM »
Actually, as a record (or CD/DVD) spins in the drive and the needle (or eye) moves closer or further from the center, the angular velocity of the record (or CD/DVD) increases as it moves closer and decreases as it moves further.

Just to be pedantic, record players are CAV, while audio CDs, video DVDs, and video Blu-rays are CLV.  Data optical discs can be either CAV or CLV.

So the needle of a record player will cover more ground at the start of each side (outside) than it will at the end (inside).  The result was greater fidelity at the beginning of each side, because the needle was covering more linear space each second, and could pack more detail into each second.

This was well known to mastering engineers (and bands), and they would often take this into consideration when deciding what order to put the tracks on a record.  Audio CDs eliminated this concern with CLV.  Each "pit" took up the exact same linear distance, and each second had the exact same number of "pits".  If you have an audio CD player with a window showing the disk as it spins, you can see the speed change when you skip tracks.  This is especially visible when skipping from the last track to the first on a long CD.

Here is a neat image to help keep them straight.

On an AE FE map, the sun would have to be CAV for a day to be a consistent 24 hours.

Interesting... I will admit, records are just before my time. I just assumed they worked the same as CD/DVDs. I think my point is still relevant, though.
"noche te ipsum"

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2018, 05:05:45 AM »
Tom, is the FE sun subject to rotational forces such as centripetal and/or centrifugal force?

This is a perilous question. One is an actual force and one is an apparent force (i.e., not real, but a consequence of a rotating reference frame). There is a tremendous problem with FET in regards to the centripetal acceleration and centrifugal force. Neither is satisfactorily explained in FET, and we await a coherent theory.

If you compare a needle on a record to a person on a flat earth, you will quickly see that different physics are needed to describe each...which should not be the case.

Let me know how else I can assist.
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior