Ghost of V

Re: Anime thread
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2014, 07:50:10 PM »
Dubbed means you don't have to concentrate all your attention on the bottom of the screen, which means you get to experience more of the artstyle/imagery/whatever. This directly increases immersion modifiers. This is objectively better.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2014, 07:52:01 PM »
Nah, you can still hear Japanese voices- which happen to be human voices- which happen to carry emotion. Unless you're deaf, it's still engaging.

You have no idea what the Japanese actors are actually saying. There is only so much a strict text subtitle can convey. This is plainly obvious when, for example, using sarcasm in this or any forum. Sarcasm requires hearing cues, which can't be properly conveyed via text unless you use some sort of /s symbol. There are many, many types of communication that cannot be conveyed using only text.

By reading subtitled anime, you're emotionally hamstringing the entertainment experience.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »
ok you're all filthy weebs and none of this fucking matters

Ghost of V

« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2014, 07:55:08 PM »
ok you're all filthy weebs and none of this fucking matters

This is very important, Blanko.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2014, 08:03:04 PM »
The text goes with the voices you're hearing. If you can't pick up on sarcasm when reading it to the sound of the voice then I can see why you hate subtitles.

You'd both be surprised how seamless it is when you get involved in the story. In my memory, I often can't remember reading subtitles. Sometimes my memory warps it so that I think I heard the words rather than read them. That's immersion.

Ghost of V

« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2014, 08:03:57 PM »
You'd both be surprised how seamless it is when you get involved in the story. In my memory, I often can't remember reading subtitles. Sometimes my memory warps it so that I think I heard the words rather than read them. That's immersion.

Yes, but how much of the action do you miss by having to concentrate on the subtitles? That's most important.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2014, 08:15:19 PM »

Yes, but how much of the action do you miss by having to concentrate on the subtitles? That's most important.
Are you really that slow of a reader?
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2014, 08:21:32 PM »

Are you really that slow of a reader?

I find it unlikely that rooster is getting as much from the animation as someone who is watching it dubbed without subtitles. Are you telling me that you can read subtitles without looking at them?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:23:12 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2014, 08:32:08 PM »
Only childrens cartoons and some kid-friendly movies gets dubbed over here, so I've grown up watching movies and tv series with subtitles, and it has never ever bothered me.
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2014, 09:14:43 PM »
I find it unlikely that rooster is getting as much from the animation as someone who is watching it dubbed without subtitles. Are you telling me that you can read subtitles without looking at them?
When I compare the dubs and subs, there's no action I miss. I'm looking at the same screen so I can see movement while reading... And if I happen to miss a tiny millisecond, my brain can automatically fill in the the gap of a movement from point A to B because brains are amazing like that.

If I were missing huge chunks of action I really doubt my brain would be able to seamlessly merge the words with action like I already said it does. I walk away from the tv without pausing, especially when I've been drinking, only to remember that I need to read subtitles to know what's happening. When you're used to it like that and get into the story, you don't even notice.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2014, 09:32:05 PM »
The brain as a prediction engine is very accurate. The brain as a regression engine is terribly inaccurate. The information your mind is "filling in" that you missed is more than likely completely wrong. This is demonstrable fact and has been studied extensively. It is also why eye witnesses are the most inaccurate type of court testimony.

Any time you spend reading subtitles is time you're spending not looking at the scene, you can't do both.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 09:34:19 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2014, 09:52:08 PM »
I would like to see one of those studies that demonstrates that the brain is better at "prediction" than "regression".
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2014, 10:01:54 PM »
I would like to see one of those studies that demonstrates that the brain is better at "prediction" than "regression".

Even if Rushy did make this up (which would not be surprising), it's still extremely unlikely that one would read fast enough to process every frame in an episode whilst reading subtitles.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2014, 10:14:48 PM »
I think you guys are just jealous that you can't read and watch something at the same time.

Also Rushy, memory is faulty. That's why eyewitness testimony is unreliable. I said my memory makes it seem like I heard the words in an anime rather than read them. That's why PP2 mashed two songs in his head and thought it was one. Memory is weird. But filling in a 5 second gap is not difficult.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:17:48 PM by rooster »

Ghost of V

« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2014, 10:22:37 PM »
But filling in a 5 second gap is not difficult.

So what you're saying is that you missed 5 seconds of animation, and then you made up something to fill in the gap? And this is the optimal way of watching anime?  :o
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:36:11 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2014, 10:47:58 PM »
Probably <1% of all anime has enough detail in art and fluidity of animation during dialogue scenes to make reading subs even remotely problematic. That's all I will say on the matter.

Ghost of V

« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2014, 10:48:31 PM »
Probably <1%

Sounds legit.

5 seconds, though? You could miss a crucial scene in that time. Ans also, why miss any of it? Just watch dubbed and you won't have to divide your attention at all.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:50:37 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2014, 10:50:19 PM »
But filling in a 5 second gap is not difficult.

So what you're saying is that you missed 5 seconds of animation, and then you made up something to fill in the gap? And this is the optimal way of watching anime?  :o
If you've read everything I've been saying.. no. I said that doing it is not difficult for a brain.

"If I happen to miss" was said earlier. But I have yet to ever notice missing anything.
It's possible I could be missing the teensiest amount of movement, but I absolutely never notice it. If I felt like I were missing bits of the show, not getting immersed, or generally having a difficult time enjoying the show then I wouldn't watch a subbed video.

Probably <1% of all anime has enough detail in art and fluidity of animation during dialogue scenes to make reading subs even remotely problematic. That's all I will say on the matter.
Yes. But it still doesn't make a difference if I'm watching subtitles for an anime or for a live action foreign film.

Edit: I swear I put in 5 miliseconds. Damn autocorrect and memory playing tricks on me.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:52:09 PM by rooster »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2014, 10:53:12 PM »
Just watch dubbed and you won't have to divide your attention at all.
STOP TRYING TO TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE! >o<

Ghost of V

« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2014, 10:57:14 PM »
rooster, would you consider watching a show with 1 out of every 10 frames removed the optimal way to watch that show?