Anime thread
« on: October 07, 2014, 05:37:26 AM »
Not sure if anyone here watches a lot of anime, but lately I've been getting through a few series/movies and thought it would make a decent thread. I'm also looking for recommendations from our fine members, as I trust their opinions more than randoms in Google results.

The stuff I've enjoyed most is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop and the Studio Ghibli films that I've seen. I did not like Evangelion, the series or the movies, although I'm yet to finish them. Anyone else have some favourite anime?

pls no weeaboo jokes

Ghost of V

Re: Anime thread
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 05:46:36 AM »
Samurai Champloo. Made by the same guy who did Cowboy Bebop.

The original Mobile Suit Gundam is also a must-see if you can get past the 60s animation.

I would not recommend Evangelion.

And don't crucify me, but Death Note is a good one time watch. So I recommend that.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 06:16:22 AM »
I can't find a Cowboy Bepop collection that doesn't have the aspect ratio set at 4:3. Yeah, I know "blah blah blah original ratio best viewing experience" the black bars on the sides of the TV bother the hell out of me.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 06:36:13 AM »
I saw Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS team ages ago and it was alright. I'm also gonna give Gurren Lagann a shot.

K, added more stuff to my list.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 04:39:32 PM »
Samurai Champloo is good.

I just finished the one season of Noragami that's on Netflix, but it might be more for a female audience. Some aspects of it remind me of Inuyasha which was my intro to anime and still holds a very special place in my heart.

Soul Eater is pretty cool too if you can get into the style of it.

I just realized both of those anime have people transforming into weapons. Maybe I'm not the best at recommending anime.

Oh! But Claymore is pretty fucking cool. That one doesn't seem to be for a specific gender audience.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:41:51 PM by rooster »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 04:46:24 PM »
I've been keeping up with SAO.  It's on SAO 2 now which I'm watching subbed via Crunchyroll. :D

My sister-in-law is watching Bleach here and I've been glancing at it. 

I also recommend Excel Saga if you want some crazy stuff.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 04:47:41 PM »

The greatest anime ever.

Ghost of V

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 04:51:41 PM »
I believe Samurai Champloo is on Netflix. At least it was the last time I checked. But they remove/add stuff all the time.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »
Ghost Stories is my favourite Japanese animes

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 05:07:47 PM »
I'm partial to anime, or at least now and then. I go through phases where I watch two or three series in succession and phases where I can't stand to watch even one episode. Don't know why, but it's always been that way for me. When I do watch them I usually do a review (collected here*) and I think I make a decent enough job of it.

*the reviews prior to Jin-Roh are not good, don't read them

Ghost of V

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 05:10:37 PM »
I'm partial to anime, or at least now and then. I go through phases where I watch two or three series in succession and phases where I can't stand to watch even one episode. Don't know why, but it's always been that way for me. When I do watch them I usually do a review (collected here*) and I think I make a decent enough job of it.

Damn, I'm impressed. I like your review of Ninja Scroll. It's probably my favorite anime movie.

Jubei's underwater slash gets me every time, and the battle with the blind samurai.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:13:18 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 05:25:09 PM »

Damn, I'm impressed. I like your review of Ninja Scroll. It's probably my favorite anime movie.

Jubei's underwater slash gets me every time, and the battle with the blind samurai.

It was great fun the first time I saw it. I'd like to do it again at some point, but haven't been in the mood for anime lately.

Ghost of V

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »
I've been keeping up with SAO.  It's on SAO 2 now which I'm watching subbed via Crunchyroll. :D

I tired to get into Sword Art Online, but Kirito is the biggest mary sue in anime which prevented me from enjoying it.

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 07:03:29 PM »
Has anyone seen this?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 07:28:24 PM »

I tired to get into Sword Art Online, but Kirito is the biggest mary sue in anime which prevented me from enjoying it.
I suggest you try anyway but with the image of an mmo player who is 10 levels above most people.  That's how I see him anyway: just strolling through lowbie content during most episodes.

Also: Goku from DBZ is probably a bigger one.  Just saying.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 07:30:34 PM »
Also: Goku from DBZ is probably a bigger one.  Just saying.

Well yeah, but he's Goku.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 07:43:44 PM »
Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei (usually translated as So Long, Mr. Despair, at least when it comes to the anime) is pretty much the only animu you'll ever need to watch. (´・ω・`)

Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 09:30:46 PM »
Magica Madoka

It looks like it would be dumb with the super girly costume designs, but the art is actually pretty awesome and the story is mature. There's lots of fighting and death.

Ghost of V

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 09:31:36 PM »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 10:01:42 PM »

ANIMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.