Poll

Was this an accident?

Yeah, stupid angry guy was just in the way
No, evil Stewart wiped him out on purpose

Thork

Murder in sprint car?
« on: August 10, 2014, 12:00:20 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motorsport/28731314

So the news has a story about a driver being hit by a car at a sprint car event. The guy hit got killed. the news article says its an accident.

Now the video is on youtube. It looks like manslaughter to me. What do you guys think? To me it looks like he accelerates and swerves into him deliberately. He does intend to hit him (likely to avoid a punch in the face), but probably does not intend to kill him.

Code: [Select]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qILmIyG6qno^Link, not video. The guy does die after all. Its not messy, but I'm not posting it here. Probably be taken down soon anyway.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:24:17 PM by Thork »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Murder in sprint car?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 01:14:48 PM »
Why the fuck would he walk into oncoming cars

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 03:21:09 PM »
Yeah I saw it this morning. Tony Stewart, the driver who struck Kevin Ward, is one of the most well-known racers in America.

From what I have read, Stewart was questioned and released, and the case is not being treated as a criminal matter. However, I can't help but agree with Thork about the video. The caution flag was up, and in the video, the car before Stewart's slowed down and passed Ward way inside. Stewart, however, came in pretty hot and seemed to swerve in the direction of Ward. It seemed pretty malicious, but it's pretty hard to tell from the angle I saw.

Thork/mods, you should make this thread a poll. I am curious to see if TFES thinks this was an accident or not. Other sources I have read about seem pretty split about the intent of Stewart.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:31:40 PM by spoon »
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Thork

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 04:06:20 PM »
Thork/mods, you should make this thread a poll. I am curious to see if TFES thinks this was an accident or not. Other sources I have read about seem pretty split about the intent of Stewart.
Done.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 04:53:58 PM »
Considering the person hit was wearing all black and walked out on a race track that was in active use, I'm not convinced of ill intent.

At best Manslaughter, but the emotion wasn't there as no argument was had at the time since the suspect was driving at the time.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 05:00:35 PM »
Now turn the sound on, and listen to the guy's engine rev up just before he swerves out and hits him.

At best Manslaughter
At best? I don't know about America, but here in the UK, manslaughter comes with a pretty long custodial sentence.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 05:34:03 PM »
Now turn the sound on, and listen to the guy's engine rev up just before he swerves out and hits him.

At best Manslaughter
At best? I don't know about America, but here in the UK, manslaughter comes with a pretty long custodial sentence.

It's not nearly as bad as First Degree Murder.  Still pretty bad, but could be much worse.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 07:27:07 PM »

I saw Captain Picard in my mind.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 07:48:53 PM »
This. It looks like he was on the side of the track and then casually strolled right in the middle of it while making some strange gesture with his hand. Literally what.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Ghost of V

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 07:58:49 PM »
Watched the video.

I don't think he swerved to hit the man. Those cars are going fast and the guy walked out into the middle of the track. Did he really think that was going to end well? Tony probably saw him at the last second, hit him (by accident), and swerved as a delayed reaction.

Was this guy trying to commit suicide or something? I really don't understand why this happened. Is there a logical reason why he walked out into the middle of the track like that? I'm not into racing, so maybe I'm missing something. Maybe the guy who crashed was disoriented, and I would imagine it's hard for a driver to react to a hazard like that at such high speeds.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:10:24 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 08:46:44 PM »
Srsly, why the fuck would some dude get angry enough to get out of his car and try and confront another racing car? Fucking idiot.

For people who didn't read the article, it says they had collided in the previous lap and the 20 year old was pissed and it looks like he's trying to confront/fight Tony. What an idiot.

I honestly can't tell if Tony Stewart meant to hit him, it would help if we could see the car more before it made contact. The revving could have been him trying to dodge at the last second but it is really hard to tell from the angle.

Ghost of V

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
Srsly, why the fuck would some dude get angry enough to get out of his car and try and confront another racing car? Fucking idiot.

For people who didn't read the article, it says they had collided in the previous lap and the 20 year old was pissed and it looks like he's trying to confront/fight Tony. What an idiot.

I honestly can't tell if Tony Stewart meant to hit him, it would help if we could see the car more before it made contact. The revving could have been him trying to dodge at the last second but it is really hard to tell from the angle.

I seriously doubt the driver would purposely murder someone in front of so many witnesses, and on video no less.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 09:00:08 PM »
Like Thork said, it's still possible he meant to hit him but not kill him. If he was also angry then maybe he thought he could get away with it if it looked like an accident, which would be pretty easy to accomplish since everyone blames the idiot 20 year old (and reasonably so).

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 09:38:10 PM »
If he did mean to hit him, he definitely meant to kill him. These guys may drive sprint cars for a living, but they aren't retarded. That's why I think this was just an accident.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:42:38 PM by Alexandyr »
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 09:41:45 PM »
Ok, I just saw the video.

That rev up? Could be from any car on the track.  Most likely from a car closer to the camera.  And since the camera is zoomed in, it's probably in the stands on the other side of the track.  So yeah, the rev up isn't even relevant.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 09:52:25 PM »
but they aren't retarded
YOU DON'T KNOW!

I still think it's most likely an accident, I did vote as such. However, I wouldn't rule out an intentional hit as a possibility. People can be stupid hot-heads and I have no idea what this guy was thinking at the time.

Ghost of V

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 10:11:23 PM »
You also don't know if he did it on purpose. There's no motive at this time.

This was a tragic accident brought on my human stupidity. That's how it will remain until new evidence comes to light.

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 10:46:20 PM »
The internet: Where people watch videos of others being killed; debate at length.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 10:49:24 PM »
You also don't know if he did it on purpose. There's no motive at this time.
...yes, I know, which is why I think it is most likely an accident. I only said I wouldn't absolutely rule anything out.

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 10:53:14 PM »
That's not him swerving to hit him, that's the car reacting to having hit an 80kg object with the front right wheel.