Offline Love

• View Profile
New to this
« on: April 25, 2016, 11:49:34 AM »
Hello, my name is Randy.  I am new to this and quite frankly I do not know what to believe.  I like to argue.  My personal beliefs are that science has come to a point of diminishing returns and the human race has gone about as far as it can.   Science has helped in some sense but there was effective medicine and happy and healthy people who lived long lives before the advent of science.   Science belongs to the people who fund it.   Science is also as much about technologies of destruction and military application as anything else.   (The military are experts on propaganda and psychological warfare.   They care more about winning at all costs than the truth.)   Mathematics, not science, is the soul of objectivity.  I believe in God and I go to church (Methodist) regularly and read my Bible.

Scientists are not the smartest people nor are scientists gifted.  Artists and athletes are the gifted among us.   Lawyers are the smartest; they run things, don't they?  Scientists are a dime a dozen and even if Archimedes, Newton and Einstein never existed science would be just as far along as what it is.   Scientists are a dime a dozen.  Scientists are always servants and never masters.  Elvis Presley was gifted whereas  Einstein dreamed of being a concert violinist but he was either too lazy or not talented enough to get there.  You may have guessed by now I have a very low opinion of science as it is practiced these days.   Science has produced a new brand of shyster in my opinion and those people just can't be trusted.  When the history of the world is finished I am of the opinion that the greatest disappointment of the human race will be the promise of science.

Re: New to this
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 04:47:56 PM »
My personal beliefs are that science has come to a point of diminishing returns and the human race has gone about as far as it can.   Science has helped in some sense but there was effective medicine and happy and healthy people who lived long lives before the advent of science.

I am curious as to why you believe this. Any evidence to support it?

Scientists are not the smartest people nor are scientists gifted.  Artists and athletes are the gifted among us.   Lawyers are the smartest; they run things, don't they?  Scientists are a dime a dozen and even if Archimedes, Newton and Einstein never existed science would be just as far along as what it is.   Scientists are a dime a dozen.  Scientists are always servants and never masters.  Elvis Presley was gifted whereas  Einstein dreamed of being a concert violinist but he was either too lazy or not talented enough to get there.  You may have guessed by now I have a very low opinion of science as it is practiced these days.   Science has produced a new brand of shyster in my opinion and those people just can't be trusted.  When the history of the world is finished I am of the opinion that the greatest disappointment of the human race will be the promise of science.

Goodness, did a scientist steal your wife or something?

I believe in God and I go to church (Methodist) regularly and read my Bible.

Declaring this, then spewing a bunch of baseless insults surely reflects really well on your church. I'm sure they would be proud...

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 04:56:59 PM »
Hi Randy, welcome to the FES.

Please don't be distracted by the hordes of self-righteous "debunkers". They're best ignored, unless you're looking for some cheap amusement.

Other than that, I hope you enjoy your stay!
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Love

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »
Hi Randy, welcome to the FES.

Please don't be distracted by the hordes of self-righteous "debunkers". They're best ignored, unless you're looking for some cheap amusement.

Other than that, I hope you enjoy your stay!

I am enjoying myself immensely!   Debunkers do not bother me; it is easy to ignore debunkers as they simply are not interesting.  Part of the reason life is so wonderful is that we are surrounded by mystery.

Offline Love

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 05:07:06 PM »
When the history of the world is complete the biggest disappointment of the human race will be the promise of science.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 05:09:30 PM »

Yep, best to ignore them. It makes it much easier to believe in one's personal theories if you ignore the people proving those theories wrong.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 05:11:14 PM »
When the history of the world is complete the biggest disappointment of the human race will be the promise of science.

If you think they aren't doing a good job, why don't you show them how to do it better? Is there a specific theory that you find lacking? A specific example of ineptitude perhaps? It's easy to point fingers from the sidelines...

Offline Love

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 06:48:25 PM »
Reptile'.........."If you think they aren't doing a good job, why don't you show them how to do it better? Is there a specific theory that you find lacking? A specific example of ineptitude perhaps? It's easy to point fingers from the sidelines..."   What a presumptuous thing to say.   They are doing a great job.  If I ever wanted to know how to blow up a city or poison a population they are the first people I would go to.  Or if I wanted to produce copious amounts of pollution a scientist would be the first person I would contact.   Or if I wanted to figure out how to keep a person alive for years even though they suffer from dementia and they can't help but shit and piss on themselves I would go to a scientist for that, too.  But I have no interests like that so scientists need to go elsewhere for employment.

Science is not required in order for people to be happy and healthy.   Effective medicine doesn't rely on science.   However, advanced modes of military destruction do rely on science and the scientists never (and I mean never!) stand up to their military masters; that makes them accessories to war crimes if they are military contractors. 

Actually, I don't dislike scientists.  It's just that I think they are pathetic and less than trustworthy.  I hope you are having a good day!

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 07:06:44 PM »
They are doing a great job.  If I ever wanted to know how to blow up a city or poison a population they are the first people I would go to.  Or if I wanted to produce copious amounts of pollution a scientist would be the first person I would contact.   Or if I wanted to figure out how to keep a person alive for years even though they suffer from dementia and they can't help but shit and piss on themselves I would go to a scientist for that, too.  But I have no interests like that so scientists need to go elsewhere for employment.

If you don't think technology is being used ethically, then feel free to state that. But I would like to point out several things first:
  • You are judging a broad range of people by the results obtained by a relative minority. There are a large number of scientists not involved in weapon research.
  • The people who decide how to use technology usually aren't scientists. It's the lawyers involved in politics that usually decide how weapons get used, or how much pollution can be generated, or which drugs are legal. You know, the lawyers that you think are so much smarter than scientists?
  • How a dementia patient is treated is decided by the doctor and patient (or their family). Scientists just provide options.

Science is not required in order for people to be happy and healthy.   Effective medicine doesn't rely on science. 

I generally agree that technology isn't required for health or happiness in many cases. However, life expectancy has consistently increased with the advent of modern medicine. Do you deny this? Also, which "effective medicine" has been created without "science"? Are we supposed to go around randomly eating herbs until we feel better?

Actually, I don't dislike scientists.  It's just that I think they are pathetic and less than trustworthy.

You realize this is a huge, diverse group of people, right? Scientists aren't a bunch of clones being popped out by an evil organization to ruin humanity. Anyone who wants to study science can study science. They are just people who want to understand how the world works.

Offline Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is round. Prove I'm wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 08:17:23 PM »
Shalom and welcome to the forum. A better way to quote someone is to use the quote button on the top right hand corner of the post you want to quote.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:37:24 PM by Luke 22:35-38 »
Isaiah 40:22 "It is he that sitteth upon the CIRCLE of the earth"

Scripture, science, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion. Can dumb luck create a smart brain?

Please PM me to explain sunsets.

Offline Woody

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 08:31:37 PM »
Hello, my name is Randy.  I am new to this and quite frankly I do not know what to believe.  I like to argue.  My personal beliefs are that science has come to a point of diminishing returns and the human race has gone about as far as it can.   Science has helped in some sense but there was effective medicine and happy and healthy people who lived long lives before the advent of science.   Science belongs to the people who fund it.   Science is also as much about technologies of destruction and military application as anything else.   (The military are experts on propaganda and psychological warfare.   They care more about winning at all costs than the truth.)   Mathematics, not science, is the soul of objectivity.  I believe in God and I go to church (Methodist) regularly and read my Bible.

I noticed you say mathematics is the soul of objectivity. 

Mathematics used in measuring the Earth by geodetic surveyors say the Earth is roundish.

Mathematics assuming a round Earth can be used to reliable predict the distance you should see things from certain heights.

Mathematics is what is used for celestial navigation and it is based on the world being a sphere.

Just a sample of mathematics supporting the Earth is round.

I will say not every scientist is involved with weapon research or would like their work to be used to harm others.  I will agree when you look at funding for research the majority of the funding is put into finding ways to kill people or how to make more money for a very small minority of people.

I also do not agree scientist are not gifted.  Just like a musician is gifted in a different way than an athlete or painter, so is someone involved in trying to discover the nature of the world around us.  Just like an athlete or musician they are not all are as gifted as each other.  Also just like everyone else they can be prone to greed and misdeeds.

Offline Love

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 11:11:35 PM »

I noticed you say mathematics is the soul of objectivity. 

Mathematics used in measuring the Earth by geodetic surveyors say the Earth is roundish.

Mathematics assuming a round Earth can be used to reliable predict the distance you should see things from certain heights.

Mathematics is what is used for celestial navigation and it is based on the world being a sphere.

Just a sample of mathematics supporting the Earth is round.

I will say not every scientist is involved with weapon research or would like their work to be used to harm others.  I will agree when you look at funding for research the majority of the funding is put into finding ways to kill people or how to make more money for a very small minority of people.

I also do not agree scientist are not gifted.  Just like a musician is gifted in a different way than an athlete or painter, so is someone involved in trying to discover the nature of the world around us.  Just like an athlete or musician they are not all are as gifted as each other.  Also just like everyone else they can be prone to greed and misdeeds.

Woody you are a decent sort.  Perhaps the Earth is round?  I don't know.   If I had to prove it to someone I couldn't.  I would have to go with what "experts" tell me and that isn't really insightful.
If one can learn what they need to learn in order to do a job by education then by definition they aren't gifted and their job doesn't require one with a gift to do it.  Most musicians aren't gifted.  Most artists aren't gifted.  But some are and we love them.
Scientists are not gifted.   If you can manage a store or do books for a company you can be an effective scientist.   Everybody has brains.  Anybody can learn science.  But if you wanted to learn to play a guitar like Hendrix or write verse like Shakespeare you would need a gift.   Also, if you wanted to be a professional athlete it wouldn't matter how hard you worked if you didn't have the gift.  Scientists are cheap.  People don't really need science.  I don't know the world is round but I am rather convinced the people we call rulers are less than honest.  People lie and they are corrupt.  Modern man is nothing but a neurotic, self destructive pervert.  Science doesn't help.

I really don't understand that if you are so self assured in your beliefs why you, or anyone else, would come to a forum like this?

"The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."  Shakespeare

Be well!  Your mother did a good job raising you.

Be well.   Unlike most people on your side of the argument you display a little class.

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 12:03:42 AM »
Perhaps the Earth is round?  I don't know.   If I had to prove it to someone I couldn't.  I would have to go with what "experts" tell me and that isn't really insightful.

Here is some simple proof that it is round, if that's what you are looking for. No expertise required.

Offline Love

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 12:35:41 PM »
Perhaps the Earth is round?  I don't know.   If I had to prove it to someone I couldn't.  I would have to go with what "experts" tell me and that isn't really insightful.

Here is some simple proof that it is round, if that's what you are looking for. No expertise required.

Hardly compelling.  Requires inference which is always subjective to some degree.

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 03:44:47 PM »

Hardly compelling.  Requires inference which is always subjective to some degree.

What specifically needs to be inferred?

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 05:21:51 PM »
My personal beliefs are that science has come to a point of diminishing returns and the human race has gone about as far as it can.
I'm curious what you base this on.  Has technology (which can be considered the physical manifestation of what 'science' has made possible) stopped advancing, and I didn't notice?

Science has helped in some sense but there was effective medicine and happy and healthy people who lived long lives before the advent of science.
Don't know what 'advent of science' you are thinking of, but this figure (and hundreds like it online) show a dramatic and continuous increase in life expectancy (well, 'continuous' as long as there isn't an active war going on, of course) that has been trending upward for 160 years or more:

I believe in God and I go to church (Methodist) regularly and read my Bible
Bully for you, and totally irrelevant.  But as long as you want to go there, you might rethink this:

Scientists are not the smartest people nor are scientists gifted...Scientists are always servants and never masters.
You might want to pay more attention in church, or read that Bible again.  You seem quite scornful of scientists not being masters, always being servants.  The Bible does not hold "masters" in any special esteem, quite the opposite in fact.  Nor does it scorn those who serve others.

You may have guessed by now I have a very low opinion of science as it is practiced these days...When the history of the world is finished I am of the opinion that the greatest disappointment of the human race will be the promise of science.
So says a person arguing with strangers on the internet (a complex and evolving worldwide triumph of technology), on a digital device of some kind (Desktop?  Laptop?  Smartphone?  Whatever it is, nothing even remotely like it existed when your parents were born, or maybe when you were born if you're old enough), communicating in real-time with other magical devices all over the world (whatever shape that world might be).  All of which could have been produced with zero input from the artists, athletes, and lawyers you seem to hold in such high regard.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 05:34:15 PM »
Scientists are not gifted.   If you can manage a store or do books for a company you can be an effective scientist.
I'm beginning to wonder if you know what scientists actually do.

Everybody has brains.  Anybody can learn science.
LOL, clearly you're new here: among those of us participating in the debates here, one side or the other must be dead wrong, wouldn't you say?  I mean, the earth either IS flat, or it is NOT, and somebody has their science all back-to-front.

People don't really need science.
Really?  Have you ever received any medical care at all in your life?  An X-Ray, perhaps?  That didn't come from an artist or athlete.
How about the tires on your car, are they pretty reliable?  Don't explode on you?  That is due to advances made by scientists in labs, not any artist or athlete.

I am rather convinced the people we call rulers are less than honest.  People lie and they are corrupt.
Undeniable, but irrelevant.  Sure, they lie and are corrupt, but that doesn't tell you a thing about the shape of the world.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Love

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 06:18:19 PM »
Rounder---Longevity has more to do with indoor water closets and people taking our trash away than science.    I concede that physicians (not scientists) discovered germs and the importance of sanitary practices.   The same thing was said by Hippocrates circa 400 bc about the importance of cleanliness. ...the Bible also talks about the importance of good hygiene.   I noticed your chart was only for western countries.   Psalm 90 in the Bible said that men lived 70 to 80 yrs which is what actuaries say people live to these days.  I don't doubt that bad diet, squalor, quackery and lax hygiene caused the early demise of many.   But, there were still happy and healthy people who lived to old age; and they lived it in a cleaner more healthy environment.  Proving that science is not necessary for people to be happy and healthy.

Technology and science are not the same thing.  As to what science may be: to me science seems to mean different things to different people.  It is not really a subject with a hard definition. 

"Advent of science."   about the time of Rene Descartes.  Science and calculus was invented by Christian scholars (it used to be the only people who could read, write and do math were officers of the church or members of religious orders.  The printing press was invented by a Christian scholar.)  Sometime during the 1800's science became a military asset and the culture around it changed.  The military believes in secrecy, deception, strict chain of command and winning at all cost.  Science and scientists have lost their integrity; it went cheap and easy.

The most famous physician who ever lived was Hippocrates and he existed well before science and he was an effective physician by all accounts.

"Bully for you......"  A disingenuous comment and you should be ashamed of yourself for resorting to such cheap shots.  You just want to be hurtful.  Do you have any aptitude for remorse?

I base my statement that science has reached a point of diminishing returns due to the fact that a lot of things  that science seemed to promise when I was growing up in the 60's:  space travel, people traveling by rocket pack, cure for cancer, artificial intelligence, lunar bases and many more things just haven't happened.  But we have more clever gadgets.  Bully for science!

Science hasn't helped the human condition:  People are just as messed up as they ever were.  We still have to deal with death, terror, despair and grief.  Wars are certainly more dangerous and with the plethora of arms that our leaders have these days we are truly living under the sword of Damacles.  Modern man is a neurotic, self destructive pervert.  Science hasn't helped and may have caused harm.

I am not 'scornful' as you say!  I am disgusted!    I am not better than any man.  I don't make fun of people or throw cheap shots at them.   I treat people with respect.    I do attack ideas and philosophies and groups of people and so do you! 

I never asked for a computer or any of this modern stuff.  I had nothing to say about any of it.  I was born into this culture.   Do you know what a technology trap is?   You are in one so you might want to learn what it is.

"Triumph of technology"  built by the military so they could have an easier time killing people and destroying things.  I do not need the internet to be happy and healthy and neither does anyone else.  But, I will use it.  If I was in prison I would still eat the food and sleep in the bunk they gave me even if I didn't like the place...which I probably wouldn't.  No my parents didn't have the internet.  And somehow they got by just fine and had long fulfilling lives.

Got any more cheap shots for me.  When the history of the world is written the biggest disappointment of the human race will be the promise of science.

Scientists are cheap.  Einstein, Newton, whoever were/are not anything special.  If they wouldn't have come up with their discoveries someone else would have.

Why shouldn't I argue with strangers on the internet?  You are.  You and I...just a couple of nobodies on the internet killing a little time.   Have a good day!

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 08:15:34 PM »
I base my statement that science has reached a point of diminishing returns due to the fact that a lot of things  that science seemed to promise when I was growing up in the 60's:  space travel, people traveling by rocket pack, cure for cancer, artificial intelligence, lunar bases and many more things just haven't happened.  But we have more clever gadgets.  Bully for science!

Seriously, you have all this hatred for scientists just because technology didn't progress in the direction you wanted it to? Get over yourself dude...

I never asked for a computer or any of this modern stuff.

You didn't ask for it, therefore it's useless? Get over yourself dude...

If they wouldn't have come up with their discoveries someone else would have.

You think scientists are a dime a dozen. That their discoveries could be done by anyone. And yet, you complain that no one has been able to make some specific discoveries (cure for cancer, jet packs, etc...)

If you think their job is easy, why don't you do it for them? Go make a jet pack yourself. Go cure cancer yourself.

Do you know what type of person is really a dime a dozen? Complainers. Talk is cheap. I noticed you still haven't given any specific reason why my proofs were wrong. Just a generic dismissal.

Offline Woody

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 09:07:50 PM »
Rounder---Longevity has more to do with indoor water closets and people taking our trash away than science.    I concede that physicians (not scientists) discovered germs and the importance of sanitary practices.   The same thing was said by Hippocrates circa 400 bc about the importance of cleanliness. ...the Bible also talks about the importance of good hygiene.   I noticed your chart was only for western countries.   Psalm 90 in the Bible said that men lived 70 to 80 yrs which is what actuaries say people live to these days.  I don't doubt that bad diet, squalor, quackery and lax hygiene caused the early demise of many.   But, there were still happy and healthy people who lived to old age; and they lived it in a cleaner more healthy environment.  Proving that science is not necessary for people to be happy and healthy.

Technology and science are not the same thing.  As to what science may be: to me science seems to mean different things to different people.  It is not really a subject with a hard definition. 

"Advent of science."   about the time of Rene Descartes.  Science and calculus was invented by Christian scholars (it used to be the only people who could read, write and do math were officers of the church or members of religious orders.  The printing press was invented by a Christian scholar.)  Sometime during the 1800's science became a military asset and the culture around it changed.  The military believes in secrecy, deception, strict chain of command and winning at all cost.  Science and scientists have lost their integrity; it went cheap and easy.

The most famous physician who ever lived was Hippocrates and he existed well before science and he was an effective physician by all accounts.

"Bully for you......"  A disingenuous comment and you should be ashamed of yourself for resorting to such cheap shots.  You just want to be hurtful.  Do you have any aptitude for remorse?

Science hasn't helped the human condition:  People are just as messed up as they ever were.  We still have to deal with death, terror, despair and grief.  Wars are certainly more dangerous and with the plethora of arms that our leaders have these days we are truly living under the sword of Damacles.  Modern man is a neurotic, self destructive pervert.  Science hasn't helped and may have caused harm.

I am not 'scornful' as you say!  I am disgusted!    I am not better than any man.  I don't make fun of people or throw cheap shots at them.   I treat people with respect.    I do attack ideas and philosophies and groups of people and so do you! 

I never asked for a computer or any of this modern stuff.  I had nothing to say about any of it.  I was born into this culture.   Do you know what a technology trap is?   You are in one so you might want to learn what it is.

"Triumph of technology"  built by the military so they could have an easier time killing people and destroying things.  I do not need the internet to be happy and healthy and neither does anyone else.  But, I will use it.  If I was in prison I would still eat the food and sleep in the bunk they gave me even if I didn't like the place...which I probably wouldn't.  No my parents didn't have the internet.  And somehow they got by just fine and had long fulfilling lives.

Got any more cheap shots for me.  When the history of the world is written the biggest disappointment of the human race will be the promise of science.

Scientists are cheap.  Einstein, Newton, whoever were/are not anything special.  If they wouldn't have come up with their discoveries someone else would have.

Why shouldn't I argue with strangers on the internet?  You are.  You and I...just a couple of nobodies on the internet killing a little time.   Have a good day!

Science has always been used as an military asset.

Romans expanded on Hippocrates work, they realized the value of veteran soldiers had for winning battles and put a bit of effort in healing wounded soldiers so they could fight again.  Look it up, a lot of the advances they made was driven by this.

Metallurgy advancement was driven by the desire to create weapons and armor to give an army an advantage on the battlefield and to counter advancements the other side had made.

The doctor that thought germs maybe the cause of infections and had the doctors and nurses scrub up before surgery was a military doctor.  Still today many of the advancement you see in the medical field comes from military funding.

That is just an example of some stuff throughout history.

You can not go to the corner store using a jet pack because it was tested and determined not to be a viable tool for the military.

You can find your way to the corner store using GPS because it was a viable tool for the military to use to target enemies and navigate with more precision than they could without it.