Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Dubay shot us down
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2015, 10:28:59 PM »
You seem to be playing the Democrat/Republican game. You have one big forum for "ridiculing us" and this one, a smaller forum, for wasting our time with "academic pedantry".

Welcome to the public spotlight, acenci. I'm glad you finally came out from hiding.

Could you please cite where any of us have "ridiculed" flat Earth theory? Because I'm just not seeing it.
I think he's referring to the fact that we allow REers to post and insult FEers and their ideas without being banned instantly.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2015, 10:30:44 PM »
You seem to be playing the Democrat/Republican game. You have one big forum for "ridiculing us" and this one, a smaller forum, for wasting our time with "academic pedantry".

Welcome to the public spotlight, acenci. I'm glad you finally came out from hiding.

Could you please cite where any of us have "ridiculed" flat Earth theory? Because I'm just not seeing it.
I think he's referring to the fact that we allow REers to post and insult FEers and their ideas without being banned instantly.
If you ban people, you can't change their minds. Dubay's forum is just a circle jerk.

Ghost of V

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2015, 10:36:13 PM »

If that's the case then the answer is quite simple. We allow opposition to our theories. If we didn't, then we'd be no better than an ancient aliens UFO cult. It's basically a peer review system; good theories are accepted while bad ones are discredited. Round Earthers are present because, well, they don't agree with us. We don't simply ban someone for disagreeing with us here. This is a civilized forum, not a private despot's e-wank fest.

And believe it or not, some RE'ers have actually helped to refine our theories. That's what happens when you cultivate an open environment for the exchange of ideas... progress! Eric Dubay and his forum will never progress beyond a simple circle-jerk (borrowing from Thork here) because of this reason.

And you seem to miss one of the main points of our society, we enjoy a good debate. We believe FET to be correct, but we also like debating with the opposition because it helps develop our theories.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2015, 10:43:46 PM »
Asenci, you came here and judged this place pretty quickly. I came here a roundy and was persuaded of flatness. Despite the ridiculous trolls and shills here, there are genuine FE'ers here who are spreading FET. I hope Dubay's strategy of banning any desension will work over the long term, although I have my doubts. Try to relax and have some fun while you learn. Nobody knows it all, if you or anybody else believes something that isn't true, maybe they will learn the truth over time. To label them a shill and ban them, helps no one.
God is real.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 02:31:23 AM »
A place where we can discuss flat earth without your academic pedantry, without the ridicule by the fraternity dudes.
If you want a serious flat earth debate, then bring it.  Please.  I'm serious.  There are a few of is RE'ers (well, me for one) who would actually welcome a serious debate without resorting to "academic pedantry" or "ridicule by the fraternity dudes".  However, be warned that you will need to backup your model with sound logic and testable physics.  Claiming things like "if gravity was real, then you couldn't lift your feet to walk" just won't cut it.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 04:59:53 AM »
DuBay's article about controlled opposition echoed what I had thought about Daniel's forum for a long time. Although I do not recall seeing any evidence of any direct connection between Leo Ferrari's organization and Daniel's forum, the fact that their two societies have effectively fulfilled the same purpose or had the same effect is a valid observation in my opinion.

If there is evidence of any connection between them then it would be quite interesting, but I did not recall that DuBay presented anything to this end other than the differing names of the organizations - nothing like common sponsorships or anything like that. There sure is plenty of evidence supporting his accusation against Ferrari as an agent to discredit flat earth belief.

Although I agree with DuBay's criticism of the earth moving upwards theory as absurd, I don't completely concur with his negative conclusions about this forum as so useless. Although I came here as a flat earth believer already myself long ago, I think I can say I've seen a number of folks converted over time on these forums into believers in the flatness of the earth. Also very significantly, the moderators and admins here are a vast improvement over Daniel's forum. I can testify to that.

The average user here and on Daniel's forum is definitely more agnostic than those on DuBay's forum, but in my case that has made my discretion sharper in some areas and even made me into a better Christian dwelling with my enemies, so to speak.

I wanted to note that DuBay has publicly given credit to both this forum and Daniel's forum for the online databases of flat earth books which he says are actually "quite good". The most valuable thing about his forum in my opinion are the well researched videos he has made. I think these are generally good stuff and will only benefit all of us.

Although DuBay is correct in the specific rebuffs he made about Tom Bishop's criticisms, I think his cosmological beliefs and those of Tom Bishop are rather similar. My criticism is that I disagree with DuBay's unfortunate antisemitism which is not particularly discerning, but crude and obtuse like the attitudes found at websites like Stormfront, but it is also unrelated to flat earth theory. So I will take the best of what Eric DuBay has to offer and simply avoid the rest. I suggest the same to others.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2015, 02:14:14 PM »
I find it ironic that Dubay uses the word 'Research' in his name, yet his disciples accuse us of being too academic. How do you think research gets done, acenci? By ridiculing anyone with a different idea? That's a good way never to advance your thought. Here at TFES, we welcome free thought. No one gets banned for their beliefs here and that is a strength, not a weakness. I'm sorry, but your society will never get anything accomplished. Shoving your version of FET down people throats won't make them see the truth. The only way to do that is through thousands of tedious, argumentative posts. It's not the most glamorous way to do it, but it's the only way that works. Your circle jerk forum will never get anything done, unfortunately. I wish it was otherwise, but I really don't think it will be.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2015, 03:29:43 PM »
DuBay's forum perhaps has the same purpose that the True Believers category had on Daniel's forum, albeit more active and with better content. That category was created out of an idea of JROA and myself back in 2006 so genuine flat earth believers could have a place to communicate without all the incessant spamming that has always been pervasive on Daniel's forum. I threatened to leave unless it was created and Daniel granted it to us.

His forum was more pathetic then than now as he had no flat earth library, and I had already had a collection which I had been accumulating since my days in Johnson's society. By the way, Daniel was never a member of Johnson's society, and he once specifically said so to me in a message on his forum saying he got into it just after Johnson had passed away.

Daniel inherited his flat earth book collection because he happens to live within driving distance of the University of Liverpool library where Samuel Shenton's library had been donated. I learned this from Robert Schadewald who told me about it over the phone in 1999 before he died. I much later posted the link to the webpage of Shenton's book collection on Daniel's website. So Daniel simply went over there saying he was the president of the flat earth society , and they gave it him. He has done well putting it online it should be said as that is the best thing that could have been done with it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2015, 07:04:43 PM »

DuBay's forum perhaps has the same purpose that the True Believers category had on Daniel's forum, albeit more active and with better content.

Better content? If you truly believe this then you have never been to his forum, or you're simply biased. Almost none of Dubay's claims have any thought or research behind them. He simply makes a claim and then posts reams of copypasta when challenged. It's very obvious just by browsing a few of the threads he's posted in. His copypasta about gravity is particularly nonsensical.

Thork

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2015, 07:19:43 PM »
Dubay does make good videos and has written books etc. You could say that's good content. You don't have to agree with the stuff in it.

Anyway, I posted there yesterday and am now IP banned. I have no idea why.

He's a very odd man.

Ghost of V

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2015, 07:24:15 PM »
While I don't agree with his material, his initiative is respectable. That's about all the good I have to say about the man.

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2015, 08:34:45 PM »
Great job reaching out to this guy Thork. He's clearly a vital asset to Flat Earth Theory. Who could have possible predicted he was bonkers?
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2015, 08:59:22 PM »
Eric does not want you to post in his forum unless you are unquestionably agreeing with him.

Thork

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2015, 12:33:33 AM »
Great job reaching out to this guy Thork. He's clearly a vital asset to Flat Earth Theory. Who could have possible predicted he was bonkers?
If we discriminated against bonkers, this forum would be empty.

Thork

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
Eric's latest youtube video is now available.

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2015, 11:15:43 PM »
Dubay does make good videos and has written books etc.

Indeed. The flat earth research he does is decent.

Unfortunately, Eric DuBay incorporates prejudices against Jews and communists in his views of conspiracy and is thereby totally unnecessarily giving flat earth inquiry a bad reputation:
http://ifers.boards.net/thread/70/adolf-hitler-real-truth-handle

His website is new with good videos, but it seems unfortunately predisposed towards fascism, and that worldview is a disease that affects his view of history and limits possibilities.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:23:46 PM by Dionysios »

Thork

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2015, 11:17:51 PM »

Indeed. Unfortunately, Eric DuBay incorporates prejudices about Jews in views of conspiracy and thus unnecessarily combines flat earth inquiry with an bad reputation:

His website is new with good videos, but it seems unfortunately predisposed towards fascism, and that worldview limits possibilities.
Flat Eric is bringing awareness of flat earth theory to people on youtube and twitter. And many of those google 'flat earth' and end up here. It doesn't really matter he gets stuff wrong or has warped messages. He generates interest. It certainly doesn't hurt us.

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2015, 11:34:19 PM »
fascism...that worldview limits possibilities.

He generates interest. It certainly doesn't hurt us.
Fair enough.  If we benefit from his knowledge and ignore his error, perhaps only his possibilities are limited. 

Ghost of V

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2015, 11:35:16 PM »

Indeed. Unfortunately, Eric DuBay incorporates prejudices about Jews in views of conspiracy and thus unnecessarily combines flat earth inquiry with an bad reputation:

His website is new with good videos, but it seems unfortunately predisposed towards fascism, and that worldview limits possibilities.
Flat Eric is bringing awareness of flat earth theory to people on youtube and twitter. And many of those google 'flat earth' and end up here. It doesn't really matter he gets stuff wrong or has warped messages. He generates interest. It certainly doesn't hurt us.

I still would rather people not think we're racist biggots.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2015, 11:37:51 PM »

I still would rather people not think we're racist biggots.

Might be a good idea to make some kind of stickied post in FEG saying we don't endorse Eric or his views, and that we don't (generally) share his racist views. Or even just put it in the FAQ, the way the old FAQ mentioned the alaska.net site.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ