• View Profile
Re: Atheism vs. religion
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2014, 05:17:24 PM »
The contribution of sadaam.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2014, 05:41:50 PM »
I have friends who think atheists are the worst which I always found funny. But I suppose you'll see it differently depending on your religion. I've never quoted things with my atheist buddies or even talk about it, but I've received plenty of lectures from Christians.

Obviously you're not going to see the Christians behaving terribly because you're already a Christian.

I'm also fairly certain that eating well, exercising, having friends, and meditating or yoga will keep you alive longer than church. Oscar is right in that atheist Americans are stressed out because we're constantly fighting to not have religion forced into our everyday lives or we're closeted so our parents don't give us dirty looks.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:43:42 PM by rooster »

Offline Socker

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2014, 08:35:45 PM »
One of the main reasons I became atheist is that almost everyone I've met that is religious (or at least Christian) just isn't a good Christian. Church is just a social club, and a lot of people just cherrypick sins like cursing, premarital sex, and homosexuality. It's just something I didn't really care to be part of.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2014, 08:59:42 PM »
That is exactly what you should tell your parents.
The Mastery.

Offline Socker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2014, 09:46:01 PM »
That is exactly what you should tell your parents.
That won't work because my parents (or my dad at least) are pretty solid Christians. I would just end up regretting it immediately.

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »
One of the main reasons I became atheist is that almost everyone I've met that is religious (or at least Christian) just isn't a good Christian. Church is just a social club, and a lot of people just cherrypick sins like cursing, premarital sex, and homosexuality. It's just something I didn't really care to be part of.

You probably hate me then, being a non-biblical, non-churchgoing, deist-christian christian.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline Socker

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2014, 09:50:16 PM »

You probably hate me then, being a non-biblical, non-churchgoing, deist-christian christian.
Nope, I don't hate you. I just don't think you qualify as a Christian if you don't put in some modicum of effort.

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2014, 10:11:28 PM »
Fair enough.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2014, 11:02:59 PM »
Curious. Would a Deist Christian accept the Deity of Jesus, & the Trinity?

Thork

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2014, 11:05:24 PM »
Deists do not believe that God interacts with the world in any way at all. They certainly don't believe He sent his son here to die for people's sins. Christianity is based on Christ based religion. Its not compatible with Deism. You can't be a Deist Christian.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2014, 11:10:26 PM »
Fair enough.

Rama Set

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2014, 11:32:24 PM »
Deists do not believe that God interacts with the world in any way at all. They certainly don't believe He sent his son here to die for people's sins. Christianity is based on Christ based religion. Its not compatible with Deism. You can't be a Deist Christian.

OEC are quasi-deist. Deist until Jesus arrives and deist after until he comes again. It's the "we know science is right but we loves us some Jesus" take.

Thork

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2014, 11:36:39 PM »

OEC are quasi-deist. Deist until Jesus arrives and deist after until he comes again. It's the "we know science is right but we loves us some Jesus" take.
That would suggest God was a moron and timed Jesus' arrival completely wrong. Doing it when Jesus can do something cool like turn the sky green on national TV would have lasted forever. Turning water to wine for a few hundred drunk guests at a wedding in Cana seems to lack the showmanship of an omnipotent deity.

Rama Set

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2014, 11:44:02 PM »
Preaching to the choir sir. The Christian and Jewish myths do not cast god in the light you would expect of the omnipotent creator of all.

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2014, 01:00:44 AM »
I believe that God mostly leaves the universe to itself, only occasinally intervening in subtle ways, and in following basic teachings of Christ such as love, compassion, and forgiveness.  That's my brand of Deist Christian, and I don't really care if it makes sense to anyone else, because it's my own belief, makes sense to me, and I'm not trying to force anyone else to my beliefs.

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2014, 01:48:48 AM »

I thought Deists had no set of beliefs, besides that they believe in a God of some sort.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 05:37:41 AM »
I believe that God mostly leaves the universe to itself, only occasinally intervening in subtle ways, and in following basic teachings of Christ such as love, compassion, and forgiveness.  That's my brand of Deist Christian, and I don't really care if it makes sense to anyone else, because it's my own belief, makes sense to me, and I'm not trying to force anyone else to my beliefs.
Why do you choose to believe that your god is the christian god?
The Mastery.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2014, 05:52:57 AM »
You can't choose a belief. It is what comes naturally to you as a result of your experiences.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2014, 06:24:28 AM »
Beardo, not really a fair question, is it? I don't know why Alchemist chose the Christian God, but I'm betting that he lives in a part of the world where the God of the Bible predominates, no?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 06:31:54 AM »
Beardo, not really a fair question, is it? I don't know why Alchemist chose the Christian God, but I'm betting that he lives in a part of the world where the God of the Bible predominates, no?
So do I. There are sermons held at the school I work at sometimes, and people regularly go to church around here. I accept the fact that a god (or gods) might (or might not) exist. But I don't think it's the christian, jewish, islamic god, or any other god(s) of any earth religion. So why would he not have the choice to believe his god is something other than the christian god?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 06:35:01 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.