Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Forum rules: Draft 1
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 06:17:13 AM »
But if a rule was put in place where we can not quote a pm then the ability to quote it in 1 click should be removed too.
Why?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 09:59:59 AM »
Why not? It's my suggestion that's all.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »
I agree with the privacy and PM rule.  You should not be able to copy a PM onto the public forum.  It was sent as a PM because it was expected to be private, as in Private Message.  These should not be allowed to be reposted in public.  If the PM contained things that are against the rules, then the admin should be alerted and permission for the offended party should be given for the admins to read the PMs.

Also, things such as names, locations, and even gender should not be made public unless done so in a public post by the person who is giving up their anonymity.  If it is done in a PM, chat, or any other form that is not accessible to the public, it should be considered as private information, and members should not be allowed to repost it. 

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2013, 11:57:45 PM »
I don't see why protecting the sanctity of PMs has suddenly become such a big deal.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2013, 01:08:54 AM »
I don't see why protecting the sanctity of PMs has suddenly become such a big deal.
It's not a big deal, it just happens that they are called "private message". Which could lead someone to believe that they are private, which they are not if you can post them.
God is real.

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2013, 05:47:00 AM »
Even if I couldn't copy and paste, I could open a second tab and type the pm into my reply manually.  You can't stop someone from doing this before the fact, only after.  I don't get why this was brought up unless someone in the past did this and it caused major problems.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2013, 06:10:54 AM »
Even if I couldn't copy and paste, I could open a second tab and type the pm into my reply manually.  You can't stop someone from doing this before the fact, only after.  I don't get why this was brought up unless someone in the past did this and it caused major problems.

Because, when you say something in something called a "Private Message", there is an assumption that it will be kept private.  Otherwise, you would have posted it on the Public Forum. 

I know Gayer's, beardo's, and Sean's names and addresses.  They did not post that information on a public forum.  I would be a dick if I posted that information on a public forum, would I not?  Would you not agree that it should be against the rules to post that information?

What if I told Gayer that she is sexy in a PM?  It would also be a dick move for her to post it for everyone to see.  I sent it in a PM because I did not want everyone to read that.

Do you understand now?

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2013, 06:16:59 AM »
I have no problem with a rule against it, I just don't think anyone here is that kind of dick.  Also it sounded like Squevil was asking for the forum to be coded to guard against this kind of thing, which isn't feasible.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2013, 04:34:46 PM »
I just don't think anyone here is that kind of dick.
You're new here, aren't you?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2013, 05:05:06 PM »
It's already against the rules to post private information like names and addresses.  But telling Gayer that she's sexy or whatever, no, I don't see why that should be privileged information that she should literally be forbidden from repeating.  This community has a long history of posting PMs for humor and whatnot, and I don't want to see that taken away based on what looks to me to be nothing more than a whim.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »
Of course, people can grant and ask permission to post PMs.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2013, 08:26:45 PM »
It's already against the rules to post private information like names and addresses.  But telling Gayer that she's sexy or whatever, no, I don't see why that should be privileged information that she should literally be forbidden from repeating.  This community has a long history of posting PMs for humor and whatnot, and I don't want to see that taken away based on what looks to me to be nothing more than a whim.

Right, but what if someone confided in you with personal/emotional topics or whatever in a PM? Or what if they told you something they don't want the forum knowing but you don't necessarily know that? I don't think anybody is saying "you can literally never post the contents of a PM, even if the sender/recipient has said it's okay".
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.