Did I do something wrong?
« on: February 16, 2016, 06:25:07 AM »
Hello there flat-earthers and round-earthers alike, I propose a simple question, from one human on the internet to another. I must say, I am quite the adventurer, as I have traveled to four continents and well over 20 countries. However, my true passion comes in the form of hiking and climbing. Last summer, my friends and I started a new leg of the Appalachian Trail, with the goal being to reach ( or get relatively close to) the top of Clingmans Dome, the highest peak of the entire trail. We (almost) achieved our goal of reaching the summit, instead settling to camp down about 200 feet below the top. It was a nice view and the weather was for the most part clear. However, if the earth is flat shouldn't I be able to see significantly tall structures while atop such a vantage point? My question is what did I do wrong in order to not see any cities or any other tall structures. As we are planning our next leg this summer, I would like some pointers into how to enhance my viewing opportunities.   

Offline Panzerfaust

• So You Think
    • View Profile
Re: Did I do something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 06:43:03 AM »
Hello there flat-earthers and round-earthers alike, I propose a simple question, from one human on the internet to another. I must say, I am quite the adventurer, as I have traveled to four continents and well over 20 countries. However, my true passion comes in the form of hiking and climbing. Last summer, my friends and I started a new leg of the Appalachian Trail, with the goal being to reach ( or get relatively close to) the top of Clingmans Dome, the highest peak of the entire trail. We (almost) achieved our goal of reaching the summit, instead settling to camp down about 200 feet below the top. It was a nice view and the weather was for the most part clear. However, if the earth is flat shouldn't I be able to see significantly tall structures while atop such a vantage point? My question is what did I do wrong in order to not see any cities or any other tall structures. As we are planning our next leg this summer, I would like some pointers into how to enhance my viewing opportunities.

You're welcome! Happy hiking!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=visibility+atmosphere&l=1

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 09:21:31 PM »
What big cities were you expecting to see in Tennessee?
God is real.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:25:33 AM »
What big cities were you expecting to see in Tennessee?

Did he say anything about big cities in his post?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 12:39:34 PM »
Yes
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

geckothegeek

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 05:17:12 AM »
Yes

I don't think he said anything about big cities ? I think he said "any cities or tall structures" ? But if the earth  was flat he should have been able to see Knoxville which is only about 40 miles from Clingman's Dome. He also didn't mention how far he could see to the horizon.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 05:27:48 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 01:34:13 PM »
I don't think he said anything about big cities ?
Are you asking about the exact words used and wasting our time with an unhealthy obsession over things being "big" (in which case: may I recommend seeing a doctor? They can help with this, you know), or did you genuinely miss the core point of the OP?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 03:12:46 PM »
I don't think he said anything about big cities ?
Are you asking about the exact words used and wasting our time with an unhealthy obsession over things being "big" (in which case: may I recommend seeing a doctor? They can help with this, you know), or did you genuinely miss the core point of the OP?
Haha, I actually laughed. But the hostility...
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 03:52:37 PM »
Yes

I don't think he said anything about big cities ? I think he said "any cities or tall structures" ? But if the earth  was flat he should have been able to see Knoxville which is only about 40 miles from Clingman's Dome. He also didn't mention how far he could see to the horizon.

Actually from Clingman's Dome he should have been able to see more than twice that distance even if the Earth is round... idk, maybe it was really cloudy?  ???
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline magic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 04:23:31 AM »
This has been done many times, but I've personally saw, unaided by optics,Tokyo from the top of Mount Fuji in Japan. I saw the sunrise from the peak of Mount Fuji as well.

Cooler weather throughout the visible area will provide an extended range in what you can view compared to hotter weather.

A Nikon P900 mounted on a tripod with a geared head will provide a significant boost in the distance you can observe from a given point. If you can travel as frequently as you do, this bit of kit will enhance your trips quite a bit and will cost about $1200 USD.