Based on this past Monday's eclipse, I wanted to inquire about a flat earth model that could show how that particular Apr. 8 eclipse worked.

- In the TFES animation model, the Sun and Moon rotate above the flat earth plane in a circular clock-wise motion (sun "rising" east and setting in the "west" / moon moving in the same circular "east" to "west" general path).

- But, the narrow path of the Apr. 8 total eclipse took an opposite direction (southwest to northeast) path over the United States.

Is there a flat earth animation model that shows how the Sun and Moon moving in a Clockwise ("east" to "west") direction produces an eclipse whose path moves in a southwest (Texas) to northeast (Maine) direction over the US?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 06:00:16 AM by mahogany »

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
That's an excellent question. I have no idea how to answer that myself but I've no doubt our finest thinkers will be getting right on this.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
I believe that if the shadow path were charted accurately on a North Azimuthal projection it would take the shape of an arc, like the eclipse paths in Theodor von Oppolzer's North Azimuthal shadow path projections of the Solar Eclipse.

Above from A Text-Book of Astronomy by George C. Comstock (p.113)

Fig. 36.—Central eclipses for the first two decades of the twentieth century. Oppolzer.

Future eclipses.—An eclipse map of a different kind is shown in Fig. 36, which represents the shadow paths of [pg. 114] all the central eclipses of the sun, visible during the period 1900-1918 A. D., in those parts of the earth north of the south temperate zone. Each continuous black line shows the path of the shadow in a total eclipse, from its beginning, at sunrise, at the western end of the line to its end, sunset, at the eastern end, the little circle near the middle of the line showing the place at which the eclipse was total at noon. The broken lines represent similar data for the annular eclipses. This map is one of a series prepared by the Austrian astronomer, Oppolzer, showing the path of every such eclipse from the year 1200 B. C. [pg. 115] to 2160 A. D., a period of more than three thousand years.

On a Flat Earth it is easy to see how a shadow arc could manifest upon a Flat Earth, with the Moon arcing below the altitude of the sun in three dimensions. Some additional clarification can be attained if the scheme of Electromagnetic Acceleration is considered, where it is apparent that small movements of the Moon below the Sun, or the Sun above the Moon, can magnify to larger effect.

I can see how the above could be possible in the Flat Earth model. However, what is still curious to me is how this works in the Round Earth Model. In the Round Earth model how could the shadow path could arc Northwards like in the April 8th eclipse or in some of the Oppolzer eclipses in the above image if both the apparent Sun and Moon are traveling Westwards over the Earth's surface?

While the Moon's orbit in Round Earth Theory is not aligned with the plane of the Earth's orbit around the Sun, the misalignment is only at a 5 degree angle according to the official theory, and it is still curious how the shadow path can make such sharp Northward directions manifested upon the Earth.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:32:21 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Here are solar eclipses from 2010 to 2060 eclipses on a Round Earth:

http://eclipse-maps.com/Eclipse-Maps/Welcome.html

Here is the Oppolzer map which shows eclipses from 2008 to 2030

There seem to be slight differences, in that the 2024 shadow is not passing over the US State of Maine, but off shore to it. The 2017 path over America and 2027 eclipse path over North Africa seems to match.

As a general matter it is apparent that the shadow path shapes on the Round Earth Model turn into arcs on a Northern Azimuthal map. This is a surprising coincidence.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:12:55 PM by Tom Bishop »