Summer solstice in southern vs. northern hemisphere
« on: August 28, 2017, 05:19:49 AM »
If you go north of the Arctic circle, you can see the sun 24 hours a day near the summer solstice. This seems consistent with both round and flat earth models.

If you go south of the Antarctic circle, you can see the sun 24 hours a day near the (southern) summer solstice. This seems inconsistent with a flat earth model. How can you see the sun 24/7 in the south, when the sun is so much farther away on any of the flat earth maps?

Offline CriticalThinker

• Polite and Pragmatic
    • View Profile
Re: Summer solstice in southern vs. northern hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 03:22:13 PM »
If you go north of the Arctic circle, you can see the sun 24 hours a day near the summer solstice. This seems consistent with both round and flat earth models.

If you go south of the Antarctic circle, you can see the sun 24 hours a day near the (southern) summer solstice. This seems inconsistent with a flat earth model. How can you see the sun 24/7 in the south, when the sun is so much farther away on any of the flat earth maps?

Douglips,

I'll save you the trouble for this one.  The first requirement that you will be asked to provide is a 24 hour continuous raw video showing the sun at the south pole not taken by any government agency, edited in any way, with some other verifiable proof of time, date, length of video etc.  If there has been even the slightest post production edit or time lapse, it will be dismissed as a fake.  For best results, if you can find one, it would be a video specifically shot for the purpose.  24 hours plus and additional hour for good measure, with a mechanical watch with date dial in the field of view at all times and a live person that attends it at regular intervals to show that it isn't fake.  Even then, they'll probably dismiss it as a conspiracy plot by someone.  The other possible response will be some alteration to the 2 pole model that states the sun moves in a continuous figure 8 or something along those lines and before you ask, at no point will any of these models theorized be substantiated by hard evidence.  They have essentially drawn their line in the sand and stated that we must prove to them that the earth isn't flat and then immediately dismiss any evidence that it isn't flat as fake, inaccurate or failing to take into account some magic that can't be measured.

Thank you and welcome,

CriticalThinker

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 05:09:36 PM »

Douglips,

I'll save you the trouble for this one.  The first requirement that you will be asked to provide is a 24 hour continuous raw video showing the sun at the south pole not taken by any government agency, edited in any way, with some other verifiable proof of time, date, length of video etc.  If there has been even the slightest post production edit or time lapse, it will be dismissed as a fake.  For best results, if you can find one, it would be a video specifically shot for the purpose.  24 hours plus and additional hour for good measure, with a mechanical watch with date dial in the field of view at all times and a live person that attends it at regular intervals to show that it isn't fake.  Even then, they'll probably dismiss it as a conspiracy plot by someone.  The other possible response will be some alteration to the 2 pole model that states the sun moves in a continuous figure 8 or something along those lines and before you ask, at no point will any of these models theorized be substantiated by hard evidence.  They have essentially drawn their line in the sand and stated that we must prove to them that the earth isn't flat and then immediately dismiss any evidence that it isn't flat as fake, inaccurate or failing to take into account some magic that can't be measured.

Thank you and welcome,

CriticalThinker

Man, you got cynical fast!   But you speak the truth.   
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline CriticalThinker

• Polite and Pragmatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 07:07:13 PM »

Douglips,

Thank you and welcome,

CriticalThinker

Maybe a bit cynical but also pragmatic.  I actually think that a continuous video could easily be done under constraints that would show constant time/date with no editing and a greater than 24 hour constant coverage.  I would hope that it would be accepted by the FE community as real.  Until we have one, I've seen the reactions to some of the time lapse videos and Douglips is brand new.

I'm still optimistic that conversions could happen and I enjoy polite and thoughtful debate.

Thank you,

CriticalThinker

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 08:22:45 PM »

Douglips,

Thank you and welcome,

CriticalThinker

Maybe a bit cynical but also pragmatic.  I actually think that a continuous video could easily be done under constraints that would show constant time/date with no editing and a greater than 24 hour constant coverage.  I would hope that it would be accepted by the FE community as real.  Until we have one, I've seen the reactions to some of the time lapse videos and Douglips is brand new.

I'm still optimistic that conversions could happen and I enjoy polite and thoughtful debate.

Thank you,

CriticalThinker

Agree.  It's a great place for thought exercises.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline AstralSentient

• Planarist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 03:00:15 AM »

Because it's an ice continent with the south pole.
Either that, or ice wall proponents have to explain how the sun works that way.
The last resort is to say its not real and that the footage is faked.
Proud advocate of the Relativity Non-Euclidean plane

https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=7191.0

Offline CriticalThinker

• Polite and Pragmatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 03:33:01 AM »

Motivation for faking the multiple videos?  They don't make any money from it and it's not exactly a riveting story either.

Thank You,

CriticalThinker

Offline AstralSentient

• Planarist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 04:28:08 AM »

Motivation for faking the multiple videos?  They don't make any money from it and it's not exactly a riveting story either.

Thank You,

CriticalThinker
Don't you think that many possible motivations could be though of?
It doesn't take that big of an imagination to come up with things.
And I said "last resort", so, if someone feels that they need to assume that, they come up with something.

I should have said last resort is to discard your model actually.  ;D

Offline CriticalThinker

• Polite and Pragmatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 03:46:51 PM »

Thank You,

CriticalThinker
And I said "last resort", so, if someone feels that they need to assume that, they come up with something.

Discarding evidence because it challenges your preconceived world view isn't debate. I'm here to have a thoughtful conversation and debate with people that actually want answers.

Trust the man that seeks the truth not the one that claims to know the truth.

ThankYou

CriticalThinker

Offline AstralSentient

• Planarist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »

Thank You,

CriticalThinker

Discarding evidence because it challenges your preconceived world view isn't debate. I'm here to have a thoughtful conversation and debate with people that actually want answers.

ThankYou

CriticalThinker
I never attempted to discard any evidence of anything.

Offline CriticalThinker

• Polite and Pragmatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 09:17:21 PM »

Thank You,

CriticalThinker

ThankYou

CriticalThinker
I never attempted to discard any evidence of anything.

I read your first response to Douglips wrong.  Chalk it up to keeping everything straight across multiple discussions.

My apologies,

CriticalThinker

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 12:48:14 AM »
Is this just going to be ignored by flat earth theorists?

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 12:58:06 PM »

Douglips,

Thank you and welcome,

CriticalThinker

Well...you don't really NEED that much evidence.

A verifiable photo of any place in the interior of Antarctica completely debunks any and all "unipolar" maps (the ones that claim that antarctica doesn't exist).

A verifiable photo taken from the coast bordering the Ross Sea or anyplace within a few hundred miles around the coast from there, showing the sun out over the ocean would debunk the current "bipolar" map since it would imply that the sun would be somewhere past the "bottommost" edge of the map.   This would mean that the sun would be setting over the southern horizon for anyone who lives south of the equator.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?