Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #440 on: July 03, 2014, 02:02:40 AM »
Saddam, you're playing a fucking MMO. This is like going to a brothel and complaining about all the sex.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 03, 2014, 02:04:42 AM »
No it isn't. Not all MMOs adhere to the theme park model. This is a bit more like complaining that all of the workers in a brothel have HIV and they're dead. If any IP deserved a sandbox MMO, it was ES.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

« Reply #442 on: July 03, 2014, 02:14:46 AM »
Most do. ESO wasn't created to be groundbreaking, it was created to be a cash cow.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 03, 2014, 02:16:40 AM »
That doesn't seem like a very good reason to not complain about the game. In fact, that seems like an excellent reason to complain.

« Reply #444 on: July 03, 2014, 02:54:50 AM »
Complaining about such a thing is dumb. It reminds of the "old man yells at cloud" Simpsons image. Such a feature cannot be changed after the game is released, because the game would have been built around it. At no stage of development did they hint at ESO being different from other MMO's in this regard either.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 03, 2014, 03:02:07 AM »
Complaining about such a thing is dumb. It reminds of the "old man yells at cloud" Simpsons image. Such a feature cannot be changed after the game is released, because the game would have been built around it. At no stage of development did they hint at ESO being different from other MMO's in this regard either.

Many people are complaining because the game is just fundamentally flawed beyond repair, not because they think the game can be fixed. Obviously, Zenimax Online should know that people feel this way. Videogames aren't like the weather. They're made by people who are influenced by criticism.

« Reply #446 on: July 03, 2014, 03:08:30 AM »
If you believe Zenimax are going to redesign the way leveling works in their brand new MMO, then go ahead and complain all you want. I don't necessarily think the theme park design is a bad thing, either. Not that I've played ESO to see what they do with it.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 03, 2014, 03:10:49 AM »
If you believe Zenimax are going to redesign the way leveling works in their brand new MMO, then go ahead and complain all you want. I don't necessarily think the theme park design is a bad thing, either. Not that I've played ESO to see what they do with it.

No. Zenimax are not the only ones who will react to ESO's poor reception. The entire industry reacts when a high profile game does poorly.

« Reply #448 on: July 03, 2014, 03:36:27 AM »

No. Zenimax are not the only ones who will react to ESO's poor reception. The entire industry reacts when a high profile game does poorly.

I'm sure that's going to make a difference. How many MMO's has WoW slain now? How many continue to try and jump on the gravy train while making 0 changes to the format?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 03, 2014, 03:41:43 AM »

I'm sure that's going to make a difference. How many MMO's has WoW slain now? How many continue to try and jump on the gravy train while making 0 changes to the format?

You're right. Life is hopeless. We should all stop complaining and just quietly play shitty videogames until we die alone at our desks.

« Reply #450 on: July 03, 2014, 03:49:17 AM »
Just saying. MMO's are big business, and big production groups in video games are almost all run by greedy fucks. They're rarely game designers, they don't really care to do anything new or interesting. They just want millions of people shelling out $15/month. It never happens, but that hasn't stopped a single MMO, big budget or otherwise, from being developed in the last 10 years. If you pick an MMO up you probably know what you're getting into, so complaining about fundamental mechanics in them is beyond pointless.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 03, 2014, 03:50:56 AM »
No it isn't. Trends change. They change because of feedback. MMOs won't be the same until the end of time.

« Reply #452 on: July 03, 2014, 04:19:44 AM »
Of course MMO's change, even though they're probably the most stagnant genre out there besides big budget FPS games. But using zones as a means of level progression is probably here to stay, at least for a long time. It's not just exclusive to MMO's, but RPG's in general.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #453 on: July 03, 2014, 05:11:44 AM »
It's almost as if gameplay trumps lore or something. If ESO implemented what you're suggesting the game would be a clusterfuck.

Did I suggest anything?  I don't know if there's a good way to balance an MMO-style leveling system with the sense of freedom that ES games ought to have, but it would have been nice to see ZeniMax at least try and take a chance with a new kind of system.

So then what happens if you roll a Nord?  Do you NOT start in Skyrim?

Well, I am playing as a Nord.  Everyone in the Ebonheart Pact starts in Morrowind, just like the other two factions have their own single starting points.  Honestly, it's kind of justified in that you simply wash up there after escaping from Coldharbour.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:47:06 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 03, 2014, 10:11:20 AM »
So then what happens if you roll a Nord?  Do you NOT start in Skyrim?

Well, I am playing as a Nord.  Everyone in the Ebonheart Pact starts in Morrowind, just like the other two factions have their own single starting points.  Honestly, it's kind of justified in that you simply wash up there after escaping from Coldharbour.

Oh right, I forgot this is the "escape from being dead" stuff.
Still, even WoW had each city surrounded by low level areas.  And as a level one you could technically make it to most allied starting cities. 

And its not like Skyrim is small.  Its easy enough to divide each area into easy, medium, hard. (Like skyrim and oblivion did). Just means that you would travel between the countries often.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #455 on: July 03, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
That's not what Skyrim and Oblivion did.  They leveled the enemies alongside the player.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 03, 2014, 02:25:51 PM »
That's not what Skyrim and Oblivion did.  They leveled the enemies alongside the player.
*reads up on it*
Yeah OK. Didn't notice it I guess.

This can't work in an MMO, though, unless you instance level ranges. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:31:53 PM by Lord Dave »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #457 on: July 03, 2014, 08:17:21 PM »
Guild Wars 2 has a scaling system.

Ghost of V

« Reply #458 on: July 03, 2014, 09:00:16 PM »
Guild Wars 2 has a scaling system.
l

Guild Wars 2 sounds really interesting. The first Guild Wars was meh though, imo.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #459 on: July 03, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »
Is GW2 the game where halfway through the main story, some boring guy shows up and then all of a sudden, he's the one that everyone treats as the main hero, not the player?