Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Bill Nye debates Ken Ham on Creationism
« on: February 05, 2014, 04:08:52 PM »
Article - http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-nye-defends-evolution-in-kentucky-debate/
Video -

Did anyone catch this? Bill Nye debated the founder of the Creation Museum on Creationism.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:16:06 PM by Tom Bishop »

Saddam Hussein

Re: Bill Nye debates Ken Ham on Creationism
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 04:20:05 PM »
The scientific and skeptical community were highly critical of Nye for agreeing to have a debate in the first place, and I agree.  There's nothing to debate.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 05:05:18 PM »
What does Bill Nye do these days anyway?  I only know him as the kid show host who I watched before I even started kindergarten.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Rama Set

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 05:27:14 PM »
He is an important voice for scientific scepticism.  Maybe more mainstream than the tastes here, but there you go.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 05:47:50 PM »
Is it worth watching?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 05:58:23 PM »
So far so good. I like Bill Nye. Not sure I will see many new arguments since Ken Hovind has covered so much ground before. Interesting to see actual scientists who are creationists give testimonials.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 06:03:17 PM »
I watched the whole thing a few hours ago; I was going to post it here myself. I, too, wish Bill would've pushed the absurdity of it all a bit more, but Mr. Ham wouldn't exactly address many of the points or challenges Bill was making to him. But still, I learned things on both sides so it was worth it. Bill has a way of getting you so excited about science. :D
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 06:51:32 PM »
I was sad Nye never once said "consider the following," or any of his other catch phrases.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 07:07:29 PM »
I didn't realize Ken Ham was a YEC when I first heard about this debate.  That should have been all he needed to undermine Ham's credibility.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 02:27:23 AM »
Bill Nye is a nice just guy trying to teach the world, even if the world really doesn't want to learn.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 04:13:19 AM »
The scientific and skeptical community were highly critical of Nye for agreeing to have a debate in the first place, and I agree.  There's nothing to debate.

A lot of people don't realize that, though. The scientific community really needs to step down from its ivory tower and address the reasons so many people feel isolated from it. It's not a case of giving credence to a 'theory' that doesn't deserve it. The 'theory' already has credence it doesn't deserve. It's too late for that. Creationism only persists due to ignorance, and the only way to fight ignorance seems to be head-on. Apply directly to the forehead and all that.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 04:21:36 AM »
Sure, but a debate with a dishonest ideologue like Ham is the wrong way to go about it.

Rama Set

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 04:33:58 AM »
Seemed like a platform for Nye to deliver his message of the importance of science education.

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 04:38:23 AM »
Creationism may have credence with the religious community, but to openly debate it against evolution like that suddenly makes it appear to have a substantial foundation instead of relying on a book being true.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 04:55:31 AM »
Bill Nye wasn't debating creationism. Now, I know that was the topic of the debate, but his goal wasn't to try and convince creationists that they were wrong. That's impossible: Ken Ham even said in the debate that his mind couldn't be changed.

Bill Nye's goal, and I believe he accomplished it, is the same it's been since the Bill Nye The Science Guy days. He wanted to convince children and young people to use scientific thinking and enter scientific fields. He wasn't speaking to the Young Earth Creationists: He was speaking to their children. He demolished the reasoning behind Ken Ham's belief, but notice how many appeals to the future of science he made? His whole tangent about how important it is to the future of the US economy? His thoughts were on the future of science, not the fact that some people have moronic beliefs.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 06:17:47 PM »
Bill Nye wasn't debating creationism. Now, I know that was the topic of the debate, but his goal wasn't to try and convince creationists that they were wrong. That's impossible: Ken Ham even said in the debate that his mind couldn't be changed.

Bill Nye's goal, and I believe he accomplished it, is the same it's been since the Bill Nye The Science Guy days. He wanted to convince children and young people to use scientific thinking and enter scientific fields. He wasn't speaking to the Young Earth Creationists: He was speaking to their children. He demolished the reasoning behind Ken Ham's belief, but notice how many appeals to the future of science he made? His whole tangent about how important it is to the future of the US economy? His thoughts were on the future of science, not the fact that some people have moronic beliefs.
Interesting. I haven't listened to it but that's the most interesting point I've seen on Bill's behalf.

What's also irksome is that we're here thinking, well at least creationists heard some rational thinking for once and the creationists believe a seed of Gospel has been planted in us and will grow into faith or something stupid. So basically, both sides accomplished the same goal depending on the perspective.

Rama Set

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 06:57:20 PM »
Fortunately Bill continued to hammer home that the Creationist model has zero predictive power, and so is basically useless as a model; he also showed multiple times where evolutionary theory made predictions and they turned out to be true.  He also showed how trivially easy it would be to falsify evolutionary theory and it has not happened.

The doubt he casts on the flood via the facts of animal migration are particularly enlightening as well. 

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 07:09:15 PM »
Did anyone catch this? Bill Nye debated the founder of the Creation Museum on Creationism. Bill made a number of good points. I just wish he had pushed the absurdity of a museum depicting humans frolicking with dinosaurs.

If it makes you feel any better, he never referred to the building as a museum, I think he called it a facility.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 07:50:20 PM »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/messages-from-creationists-to-people-who-believe-in-evolutio

lol

How do you explain a sunset if their is no God?

#3 is a good point, though. I even made that same point in another thread.