Is Vauxy turning into Th*rk?

Ghost of V

Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1181 on: April 13, 2015, 06:10:56 PM »
I d**'t th**k t***'s a*  acc***te c********n, Blanko

Ghost of V

« Reply #1182 on: April 13, 2015, 06:38:16 PM »
On a more related note, why doesn't Daredevil kill people? I know he's supposed to be a good guy, and that killing would "make him no better than the villians", but seriously... some of these situations could simply be averted by killing people. I'm tired of Batman-esque heroes. I would like to see a superhero story that isn't scared of showing the good guy killing the villains once and awhile. Granted, I haven't watched the entire season of Daredevil yet, but this seems to apply so far.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 13, 2015, 06:43:15 PM »
Actually, Batman does kill people, it just doesn't happen very often.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1184 on: April 13, 2015, 06:44:49 PM »
Actually, Batman does kill people, it just doesn't happen very often.

And he cries about it.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: April 13, 2015, 06:45:27 PM »
They should acquire The Punisher and make a show set in MCU.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1186 on: April 13, 2015, 07:23:30 PM »
On a more related note, why doesn't Daredevil kill people? I know he's supposed to be a good guy, and that killing would "make him no better than the villians", but seriously... some of these situations could simply be averted by killing people. I'm tired of Batman-esque heroes. I would like to see a superhero story that isn't scared of showing the good guy killing the villains once and awhile. Granted, I haven't watched the entire season of Daredevil yet, but this seems to apply so far.

They actually address this in the ninth episode, when Matt attempts to make this kind of utilitarian-type argument in favor of killing the Kingpin.  The priest he's confiding in quotes the Bible: "Like a muddied spring or a polluted fountain is the righteous man who gives way before the wicked" (Proverbs 25:26).  To put it another way, the cost of not remaining morally upright wouldn't just be to Matt's soul, but the well-being of the same community he's trying to protect.

They should acquire The Punisher and make a show set in MCU.

They already have the rights to the Punisher.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1187 on: April 13, 2015, 07:26:09 PM »

They actually address this in the ninth episode, when Matt attempts to make this kind of utilitarian-type argument in favor of killing the Kingpin.  The priest he's confiding in quotes the Bible: "Like a muddied spring or a polluted fountain is the righteous man who gives way before the wicked" (Proverbs 25:26).  To put it another way, the cost of not remaining morally upright wouldn't just be to Matt's soul, but the well-being of the same community he's trying to protect.

The well being of the community would increase significantly if the Kingpin was killed, though.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 13, 2015, 07:27:10 PM »

If killing the kingpin would cost the community he's trying to protect, then what was Matt's argument in favor of killing him?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 13, 2015, 07:27:55 PM »
At what point is a general capeshit thread made?

Rama Set

« Reply #1190 on: April 13, 2015, 07:37:27 PM »
Ugh.  Talk normally, you two.

U wot m8?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 13, 2015, 08:03:54 PM »
Source?
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1192 on: April 13, 2015, 08:29:23 PM »
The well being of the community would increase significantly if the Kingpin was killed, though.

Maybe.  Or maybe it would be just trading one devil for another.

If killing the kingpin would cost the community he's trying to protect, then what was Matt's argument in favor of killing him?

Basically what Vauxy said, that it would save the lives of anyone that he would have killed in the future.

Source?

This is old news, bro.  A fan like you should have kept on top of it:

http://io9.com/marvels-got-the-blade-punisher-and-ghost-rider-movie-r-493113182

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 13, 2015, 08:31:37 PM »
Do you really think I visit those type of sites?
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 13, 2015, 08:35:56 PM »
Basically what Vauxy said, that it would save the lives of anyone that he would have killed in the future.

A sound argument. What, then, is the cost to the community if the kingpin is killed?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1195 on: April 13, 2015, 08:47:01 PM »
"Lest you become a monster" arguments are really just excuses for the writers to keep the villains around as long as possible to provide future stories and drama. It's a great thing to think about, but Daredevil killing the Kingpin does not immediately make Daredevil evil or just as bad as the Kingpin in any way whatsoever.

Anyone with common sense knows that eliminating the monster is always better than leaving the monster to burn down more villages.

Daredevil knows that killing the Kingpin would stop a lot of crime in Hell's Kitchen, and by refusing to kill him he is essentially letting more murders and violent crimes happen. Even if the Kingpin was replaced by another evil person, they can be eliminated as well. The smart thing to do would be to sever the organization at its roots and expose the city's corruption, then kill the Kingpin. This would make it harder for another person to take his place, and if someone did their power would be far less reaching than Kingpin's.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1196 on: April 13, 2015, 10:16:09 PM »
Well, if you haven't finished watching it yet, then I probably shouldn't try to analyze or defend the decisions that Daredevil ends up making and/or the consequences that result from them.  All I meant to say is that the show does address the idea that he could use lethal force, as well as the moral and social ramifications of doing so.  They don't just take it for granted that he's not going to kill people because of course superheroes don't kill people or whatever.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:27:46 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline The Ellimist

• "Let us play a game, Crayak."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 13, 2015, 11:17:38 PM »
Edge of Tomorrow. One of Tom Cruise's best

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1198 on: April 14, 2015, 01:46:26 AM »
I watched The Lego Movie.  It's definitely the funniest movie I've seen in a long time.  I never would have guessed that Morgan Freeman could be so hilarious.

« Reply #1199 on: April 14, 2015, 02:09:55 AM »
I am like six episodes or so from being done with my drunken How I Met Your Mother binge. Mad feels yo.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.