Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2014, 11:00:23 PM »
That said...I am someone who generally detests multiplayer. I do not like playing games with others and it usually is more frustrating than anything
Why and how come?

Well, you have to both want to play it the same way or else there's going to be a lot of frustration. That's one thing that rubbed us the wrong way about Diablo III: I wanted to explore every nook and cranny and he was getting bored and annoyed, but if we just rushed through the levels I'd be bored. Two, it's almost always competition even if it's co-op, like about getting more gold/kills/items in that game, and I don't like competing with people. Three, I am not very social and like being alone. Four, if the game has a story it almost always ruins it by killing it as a personal experience, which is fine for games that are made for multiplayer but not so much for games that have it as a main-story addition.

I don't know, I've just never really had more than a couple good multiplayer experiences. The only game I consistently want to play multiplayer is Super Smash Bros., and then I like to mostly do it co-op. I feel bad if I keep beating people over and over on it, and I'm more likely to do versus if I get to put crazy handicaps on myself or if we do crazy game settings that make it insane like what we dubbed "Norfair soccer" where you could die at any second if you aren't watching everything at all times. Five, if you're not there in person you have to either type, which takes you out of the game and is annoying, or speak into a headset or something which I find kinda annoying and bothersome because I don't talk a lot. But playing without either means there's no coordination and it's really impersonal and not a whole lot different from just playing with a computer, except for the fact that you can't tell it what to do.

Then, sometimes, co-op makes things too easy, like, again, Diablo III, or even Borderlands, or, to a certain extent, Super Mario 3D World.

So yeah, there are only a couple of games that have ever reached the perfect scales of everything to make me enjoy them with others, but they are few and far between.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:02:37 PM by Supertails »
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2014, 11:58:37 PM »
Been playing neverwinter.

I like the gameplay.  It reminds me of Dragon Age 2 with its fast paced combat.

My biggest complaint is lack of armor models.  Each class doesn't change much as you get new armor.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2014, 12:54:26 AM »
Playing Mario games with friends makes me want to murder them.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2014, 02:11:12 AM »
Then you are are the person who is no fun to play with >:O

That said, just finished playing the first level of 3D World with the kids, who are 8-10 years old. Yeah...they're playing the rest on their own

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2014, 07:35:05 PM »
So I've played that Guardian of Light spin-off.  It was better than I expected.  It had some enjoyable puzzles, anyway.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2014, 04:42:51 PM »
A few of my favourite multiplayer games in history:

-Super Smash Bros. - Enough items to help out newbies and endless customisation to make matches exactly as you want them (One of our favourites was a fight between DK and Bowser on the Battlefield stage with the only items being giant mushrooms and metal boxes. The ultimate game of sumo.

-Mario kart: Double Dash-  The standard races and battles are classic mario fun (That is to say you'll end up punching best-loved friends in the face for using a blue mushroom on the last corner) but the co-op added a great new dimension to it, especially if you were both pretty skilled and tended to power-slide around every corner.

-Timesplitters 2: A great FPS with a good mix between humour and seriousness, plus well-balanced weapons and endless customisation.

-007: Everything or Nothing: Not a great game overall, but had a hard-as-nails co-op campaign which took place in the background of the 1-player mode.

-Bonanza Bros. (Sega megadrive) - Brilliantly simple, you both work together to sneak into a building, steal some valuables and escape the cartoony traps and clueless security guards. Although you can steal the other's valuables when they lose a life, if there are still treasures inside after one player has escaped, you both fail.

LEGO: Star Wars: - Yes it's very easy and very silly, but there's great cooperation needed to get through, whilst giving you enough slapstick ways to attack your partner to make half of games descend into tit-for-tat fights between R2-D2 and Boba Fett.

Warioware Smooth Moves: Pick the nose! Stroke the Cat! Fly the plane! Shoot the Metroid! The ultimate 'party' game.

Wii Sports: Yeah it's very mainstream and definitely a 'casual game', but for getting people who aren't really into games to play, there's none better.

Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Sega Megadrive) : A clone of Poyopop, but since I never played it, I'll review the clone. A puzzler in the vein of Tetris or Columns with a combatative element. Every time you link a chain up, you send a block of useless blobs to mess up your opponent's game, the multiplayer is all about building a game-ending chain while keeping your options open to survive your opponent's attacks.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2014, 06:20:30 PM »
-Mario kart: Double Dash-  The standard races and battles are classic mario fun (That is to say you'll end up punching best-loved friends in the face for using a blue mushroom on the last corner) but the co-op added a great new dimension to it, especially if you were both pretty skilled and tended to power-slide around every corner.

The hell it did.  All the co-op did was split the job of one person between two people, making it harder to juggle the one racer between them.  The game was a lot of fun, but the co-op was garbage.

« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2014, 07:06:03 PM »
How many Mario fans does it take to drive a kart?
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2014, 08:18:54 PM »
Does anyone here play Hearthstone? For those unfamiliar, it's a Blizzard game now in open beta. It's a card game, based loosely on the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game. It's quite fun, and if anyone wants to play let me know.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2014, 10:47:51 PM »
I play it, although and very casually.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2014, 08:52:22 AM »
I know very little about it, but I'm wary of any modern Blizzard games given their track record with D3 and WoW. Is it worth playing?

« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »
I know very little about it, but I'm wary of any modern Blizzard games given their track record with D3 and WoW. Is it worth playing?
If you like card games (Like Magic the Gathering) you'll probably find it enjoyable. It's very easy to learn, and not too hard to get new cards without paying any money. I mean, it's free, so there's no harm in trying it.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2014, 06:52:48 PM »
I'm downloading some mediocre-looking zombie game called Dead Island.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2014, 11:43:33 PM »
I'm downloading some mediocre-looking zombie game called Dead Island.

It's fun if you can overlook how poorly-made it is. The graphics, animations, story and dialogue are all absolute crap...but killing zombies with that combat system is actually pretty damn fun as long as you use the "weapon swings the direction you swing it" mechanic rather than the "press x to hit" option. It's probably one of the worst games I actually really enjoyed and played through.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »
Does anyone here play Hearthstone? For those unfamiliar, it's a Blizzard game now in open beta. It's a card game, based loosely on the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game. It's quite fun, and if anyone wants to play let me know.
Downloading now.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2014, 10:03:11 PM »
I got Hearthstone too, and finished the opening singleplayer games.

« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2014, 10:33:49 PM »
My account name is Boomlil, #1319 on Hearthstone. Feel free to add me if you'd like to play.

« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2014, 11:46:57 PM »
Rexxar is so annoying. I couldn't beat him with Jaina or Uther.

« Reply #158 on: February 15, 2014, 08:23:16 PM »
Rexxar is so annoying. I couldn't beat him with Jaina or Uther.
I don't really remember the opening quests, but typically mages are your best bet against hunters. Your hero power and spells are very good against their low health beasts.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2014, 06:08:16 PM »
I have not yet played.
I got an e-mail about 5 free days of "The Secret World" and I've been loving that.  Nothing better than a modern style MMO that requires actual thinking (and a web browser) to solve puzzles.