MattyWS

Winter and summer in Antartica
« on: November 18, 2018, 01:17:15 AM »
Hi, As the current globe model supports summer and winder due to the tilted axis of the globe and elliptical orbit around the sun, Antarctica during the summer is daytime all the time and during the winter it's night time all the time. So my question is how does the flat earth model support this?

I actually spend the time to make a representation of 24 hours on a flat map that I turned it into the flat earth layout (in photoshop) and made it into a gif with each frame being forward an hour in time (for this exact day, this is actually over the next 24 or so hours). As you can tell in my animated gif, the sun seems to act as if it can light up everything apart from a dark patch on the other side. how does light reach the Antarctic and how does it not also light up the whole of earth in the process?

Also side note, as the sun and moon are there in the image lets assume that to be akin to a raycast projection on the globe model and the proposed position from above on the flat model.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 01:19:20 AM by MattyWS »

MattyWS

Re: Winter and summer in Antartica
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 01:40:10 AM »
Also just for the sake of it, I mapped the image onto a sphere to display how the lighting looks on a globe earth just to compare to the flat earth model. I made a gif but I was a little lazy to animate the 24 hours so the animated gif this time is just me rotating the camera angle around to show the globe model lighting. I think this works well as the light is pretty much half and half as you'd expect from a light source coming from the direction of the sun.

reference;

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 02:24:17 PM by MattyWS »

MattyWS

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 02:27:42 PM »
So no answer to this at all? :( It seems like an obvious flaw in the flat earth model. Since we can all confirm the time of day or day/night accuracy by our own sight across the world we know the data isn't wrong, so how is this possible in a flat earth? And why does it work perfectly for a globe earth?

Curiosity File

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 08:45:18 PM »
So no answer to this at all? :( It seems like an obvious flaw in the flat earth model. Since we can all confirm the time of day or day/night accuracy by our own sight across the world we know the data isn't wrong, so how is this possible in a flat earth? And why does it work perfectly for a globe earth?
You'll be hard pressed to get a logical or scientifically depicts or a mathematical calculation that accurately or remotely resembles what we physically observe in the real world. FET can't do it because it's physically impossible.

When you look at the scale where you have the sun(the light source) 32 miles across and 3,000 miles up from the flat plane that appears to be some 35,000 to 40,000 km, or about 24,000 miles across from edge to edge.
Just put that to scale 1 inch per 1,000 miles. 2 feet across and 3 inches up. Or just turn the United States up on end on the FE map and that's about the distance the sun is from the surface of the FE.   

How in the world could we see what we do in the real world if this was anywhere near accurate?
From most vantage points we would see the sun in the distance, never going over our head, moving horizontally. In other words we'd have to spin a circle to watch the sun's path in the sky, not look up.
If we were in the path of the sun we'd see it coming at us increasing in size, then after going over head we'd see it traveling away from us decreasing in size thew farther away it got. That's how things work in the real world.
How could this scale light up large areas of the earth's surface or create the phenomena we see on the Antarctic continent, day all summer and night all winter.
How do we know it's day in thew summer and night in the winter there? Because we have exploration and research facilities there. people go there for fun. Another fallacy in FET, that is that we can't go to the Antarctic. 

MattyWS

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 12:29:13 PM »
Well the evidence here looks pretty clear to me that the day/night cycle does not work on a flat earth yet perfectly works on a globe. This is a basic every day thing (pun intended) that we can all see for ourselves.

Unless anyone can explain to the contrary with evidence and data to back up their claim, we can only assume the world is a globe. I'm hoping someone does come up with a reasonable answer though otherwise this pretty much kills flat earth to me. As many other things do too, but I wanted to choose the most clear and obvious example.

LoveScience

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 06:00:02 PM »
Frankly considering where science is now and some of the debates going on these days I am surprised... no that is the wrong word.. disappointed is probably more accurate that there are still people out there refusing to accept something as basic and well known as the shape of the Earth. 

There are several threads now where we have laid down some basic scientific principles and up to now the FE people have gone strangely silent. 

Offline teinf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 06:53:21 PM »
Frankly considering where science is now and some of the debates going on these days I am surprised... no that is the wrong word.. disappointed is probably more accurate that there are still people out there refusing to accept something as basic and well known as the shape of the Earth. 

There are several threads now where we have laid down some basic scientific principles and up to now the FE people have gone strangely silent.

I agree... I bet the flat earthers don’t have basketball like we know it... probably frisbee...  ;D

Curiosity File

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 08:07:48 PM »

I'm actually disappointed, while not surprised, that they haven't stuck around and tried harder to bring verification or more explanations to their claims. One can only conclude there must be non. They're stuck somewhere with a flat. Give it some time. I suspect Tom will fix the flat and be here soon.