LoveScience

Where is the 'edge'
« on: November 15, 2018, 08:26:16 AM »
As a newcomer to this group please excuse my ignorance here but could someone explain where the 'edge' of the flat Earth is and what does it look like. Under the FAQs page under the section for Geography and related phenomenon, Antarctica is apparently the edge.  Really?

Offline stack

• View Profile
Re: Where is the 'edge'
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 09:10:53 AM »
As a newcomer to this group please excuse my ignorance here but could someone explain where the 'edge' of the flat Earth is and what does it look like. Under the FAQs page under the section for Geography and related phenomenon, Antarctica is apparently the edge.  Really?

In my understanding of Flat Earth theory (FET) I would say there are two main models:

- North Mono-pole centered (Antarctica a ring around the edge)
- Bi-polar where Antarctica is a continent to the south

See https://wiki.tfes.org/Antarctica

There are other models.

In the bi-polar model, I'm not sure where the "edge" is. But an adjunct to this one is the "infinite plane" model where in, my simplest understanding, the earth is a plane, there is no edge, the plane is infinite.

Hope this helps. Others may weigh in with more/better info.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 01:48:34 PM »
Actually reading the FAQ may prove to be helpful. We clearly state that what lies beyond the Ice Wall is currently unknown.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

LoveScience

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 09:49:58 PM »
So where then is this ice wall. We (humans that is) have been to Antarctica or the South Pole whichever you prefer so if this ice wall is unpassable then surely it would have been noted?  It would be fairly conspicuous given the rather barren landscape that exists there.  Can't seem to find any photos of it.  Perhaps cameras fail below a certain temperature but then we can get photos at the top of Everest. I realise I'm wasting my time but hey.. always good to discuss these hypothetical subjects.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:52:02 PM by LoveScience »

HorstFue

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 10:01:48 PM »
In the bi-polar model, I'm not sure where the "edge" is. But an adjunct to this one is the "infinite plane" model where in, my simplest understanding, the earth is a plane, there is no edge, the plane is infinite.

Hope this helps. Others may weigh in with more/better info.
If earth were flat, according topology it could be
  • an infinite plane - here I wonder why no one came across vast, vast unexplored areas
  • a finite plane - than there must be an edge - Where's the edge? I found no sound evidence for an ice-wall or similar so far. Sorry, alone presenting different models, mono-polar, bi-polar, shows, that even flatties have no clue.

LoveScience

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 10:13:28 PM »
In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence. It is too easily manipulated and altered

I bet if someone did suddenly produce a photo of a (previously somehow missed) ice wall of infinite height then you would lend that a bit of credibility to that. Sure there are loads of photos online of some impressively high cliffs in Antarctica covered in ice as you'd expect. But so far not finding anything that would be beyond the abilities of a decent mountaineer to conquer. 

I don't buy the ice wall theory at all. Is that the best you can do to create an 'edge'?

Curiosity File

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 10:28:21 PM »
So where then is this ice wall. We (humans that is) have been to Antarctica or the South Pole whichever you prefer so if this ice wall is unpassable then surely it would have been noted?  It would be fairly conspicuous given the rather barren landscape that exists there.  Can't seem to find any photos of it.  Perhaps cameras fail below a certain temperature but then we can get photos at the top of Everest. I realise I'm wasting my time but hey.. always good to discuss these hypothetical subjects.

You could try contacting the Australians on social media or something and ask them if they have pictures or been there.
If you look at FE model maps Australia is one of the continents that the ice wall is right off the coast, I'm guessing a few hundred km? maybe a couple thousand km. Maybe a FET like Tom or Pet or sandakhan could weigh in on the actual distances the ice wall is from Australia? I've been trying to get that answer myself but I'm met with excuses like FET is to young to have these answers yet. Or they don't have the money it would take to explore and research these questions.
Meanwhile the Ausy's should have many pictures from the mainland and from vacations, fishing trips or exploration to the ice wall or edge, or even the infinite repeating plane. If the earth were flat it would be easy to get pictures from the mainland with a zoom camera. So give it a try. Maybe they can help with your questions.   

Curiosity File

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 06:22:34 AM »
In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence. It is too easily manipulated and altered

I bet if someone did suddenly produce a photo of a (previously somehow missed) ice wall of infinite height then you would lend that a bit of credibility to that. Sure there are loads of photos online of some impressively high cliffs in Antarctica covered in ice as you'd expect. But so far not finding anything that would be beyond the abilities of a decent mountaineer to conquer. 

I don't buy the ice wall theory at all. Is that the best you can do to create an 'edge'?
Just as easy as it is to manipulate photography it is to prove it's been altered.
The justice system is a good example as it depends hugely on photos and videos for prosecution  as well as proving innocence.
I witness is also something that weighs in as strong evidence and proof.

LoveScience

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 11:44:36 AM »
My point here is whether the FS would equally discredit a photo which apparently supports the FE theory (or at least the existence of this wall) or whether such a photo would be somehow justified.

It just seems a bit curious to me that if there is some massive unsurmountable (by any means) wall, cliff or whatever you want to call it that circumnavigates the disc of a flat Earth we would have found some evidence of it by now. I mean.. it would be pretty obvious wouldn't it?

Perhaps NASA are covering it up with some cloaking device using alien technology reverse engineered in Area 51?!?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 11:47:30 AM by LoveScience »

MattyWS

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 01:09:49 PM »
If you wanted to, I think the closest land would be South America, you could get your own boat there and travel south to the antarctic. It isn't illegal to travel there and you won't need a visa but it would be dangerous as the conditions are extreme. If I had the time on my hands I would love to do that myself. I'm kinda surprised the flat earthers haven't put some money together to get themselves a boat to do such a trip.

totallackey

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 01:14:24 PM »
Nobody has claimed the ice wall is inaccessible or that it cannot be breached. Admiral Byrd certainly explored the area.

FE does not deny the existence of lands under the ice where McMurdo and Vostok stations exist.

Here is a photo:

There are more images.

Your comparison of the top of Everest to conditions in the area of the ice wall are laughable. The lowest recorded temperature on Everest was about -60 C while at Vostok it was -89 C.

It appears you believe it is a waste of time to research/post accurate information.

LoveScience

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 02:10:21 PM »
And what were Admiral Byrds findings after his exploration?  None of this though actually tells us where the ultimate edge of the Earth is yet. That's all I want to know. Where is the edge?  How cold, hot, dry wet or whatever the conditions are there is irrelevant.  -60C compared to -89 C.  Both pretty nippy! More oxygen though near the Wall I would imagine.

totallackey

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 12:36:24 PM »
And what were Admiral Byrds findings after his exploration?
He provided an interview on television and you might still find the interview on Youtube.
None of this though actually tells us where the ultimate edge of the Earth is yet. That's all I want to know.
Well, you have engaged in quite a bit of writing and made several false statements in lieu of such a simple question. Pete Svarrior already answered the simple question you now proffer.
Where is the edge?
Already answered.
How cold, hot, dry wet or whatever the conditions are there is irrelevant.  -60C compared to -89 C.  Both pretty nippy! More oxygen though near the Wall I would imagine.
You are the one who made first reference to climate and temperature in the thread.

LoveScience

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 12:53:10 PM »
The FAQs seem to suggest Antarctica is the 'edge' of the Earth.

Most geographers will tell you that Antarctica is a continent which can be navigated across just as any other continent can.  Granted conditions at the south pole are not pleasant (down to -89C as a previous post was kind enough to mention) but that doesn't make it impossible to navigate across.

MattyWS

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 01:29:14 PM »

Same thread;

Here is a photo:

There are more images.
A photo from the wiki no less. ::)

People can scale that ice wall though (even though you can just fly on over in a plane). And the antarctic doesn't have cliffs all the way round it completely blocking the land off, there are coasts.

Better yet though if no one wants to actually land on the Antarctic continent just sail around it and see how long it takes, because according to flat earth model it should take a long time when compared to the globe model. And if you refuse the believe the time taken on the globe model then compare sailing around the south to sailing around the north, with the globe they should take roughly the same time (assuming no obstacles) but with the flat earth model the outer antarctic edge is a much larger distance than the middle. But that's getting off topic. Point is you can land on the antarctic just fine and go explore in the rather extreme conditions. I'd go during the summer if it were me.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:31:19 PM by MattyWS »

totallackey

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 02:02:24 PM »
The FAQs seem to suggest Antarctica is the 'edge' of the Earth.
Do you make stuff up as you type?

The FAQ suggests nothing of the sort.
Most geographers will tell you that Antarctica is a continent which can be navigated across just as any other continent can.
Yes.

They will.

What is your point?

Appeal to numbers? 
Granted conditions at the south pole are not pleasant (down to -89C as a previous post was kind enough to mention) but that doesn't make it impossible to navigate across.
Many accomplishments are claimed and later shown to falsified.

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 02:04:12 PM »
All of these pictures are of the ice shelves just off the coast of Antarctica, such as the Ronne shelf. These are simply ice on water.

It would be dangerous and insane to scale these given that the edge breaks up all the time, moreover it is easy to get round them using the dry land parts.

LoveScience

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 02:17:02 PM »
Do you make stuff up as you type?

If I do then I'm certainly not alone here!

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 02:38:35 PM »
From the wiki
Beyond the 150 foot Ice Wall is anyone's guess. How far the ice extends; how it terminates; and what exists beyond it, are questions to which no present human experience can reply. All we at present know is, that snow and hail, howling winds, and indescribable storms and hurricanes prevail; and that in every direction "human ingress is barred by unsealed escarpments of perpetual ice," extending farther than eye or telescope can penetrate, and becoming lost in gloom and darkness. Some hold that the tundra of ice and snow stretches forever eternally. https://wiki.tfes.org/The_Ice_Wall 
This is not in quotation marks, or indented, but is in fact a verbatim quote from Rowbotham, second edition of ENAG, 1872.

Antarctica had not been explored at that time, and perhaps it was true then to say that the question was one to which no present human experience can reply. But the continent has been surveyed for a long time, it is known to be false that human ingress is barred in every direction. For example we can start at McMurdo Sound, see below.

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 02:42:47 PM »
The second section ('Formation') seems to have been plagiarised from Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/science/ice-shelf

The statement 'Temperatures are thought to approach absolute zero the further one explores outwards' is not from Britannica, and is false.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:44:19 PM by edby »