Thork

Windows 8.1 update
« on: January 08, 2014, 11:20:00 PM »
So the update to windows 8.1 gives you back the start bar and some other nice features.

I have a laptop with 8.0 on it. You can only update via the store and it does not appear in my store.

So some googling later it appears that if you have a laptop with a SSD-HHD hybrid thing so your OS boots fast but you have a bunch of space like I have, you can't update.

why?

Because the bios is set to not allow you to overwrite the flash card and so you can't update the OS. The only way around this is to change your bios to UEFI and reinstall the whole Th*rking thing and frankly its not going to happen.

Well done Microsoft. You geniuses.

Offline bj1234

• View Profile
Re: Windows 8.1 update
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 11:30:47 PM »
That sounds like more of a manufacturer issue than a Microsoft issue.  BIOS are configured from the factory not based on what OS you install. 

Thork

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 11:32:18 PM »
All manufacturers of laptops have the same issue. Dell, HP, Sony, etc.

Microsoft have made an OS that is too dumb to update itself on a modern laptop.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 11:33:46 PM »
Are you sure that you have to reinstall after turning off UEFI?  It just seems odd to me that you cannot do an update with out wiping everything.  Anyway, I don't have Win 8 on any of my devices, and if I did, I would just switch to a less restrictive OS. 

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 11:36:11 PM »
Oh, and bj1234, yes, all manufactures have to have UEFI turned on by default if they want to offer Win8, from what I understand. 

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 12:09:51 AM »
Thank God I don't use Windows 8 on my laptop.

Offline bj1234

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 12:34:38 AM »
So it seems that the issue is with hybrid drives?  Since UEFI is automatically turned on, it should already be on correct? (I am assuming that it is a 64 bit system since it is a new laptop)

I do know when I tried upgrading my win 8 to 8.1 on my laptop, (it is only 3-4 months old) I needed to run a bunch of windows updates before 8.1 appeared in the store.

Have you tried that?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 12:45:14 AM »
What you said makes no sense.  BIOS is not restrictive while UEFI is.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 04:28:38 AM »
What's the problem with reinstalling the piece of shit other than the fact that it's a piece of shit?
The Mastery.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 04:38:47 AM »
Clean instals are usually cleaner and more stable than upgrades anyways.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline bj1234

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 05:21:10 AM »
Normally I agree, however going from 8 to 8.1 is pretty similar to installing a service pack.  It is not like installing 8 over a 7 install.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 12:22:55 AM »
Normally I agree, however going from 8 to 8.1 is pretty similar to installing a service pack. 
Except UEFI doesn't prevent you from installing service packs. 
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline bj1234

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 01:03:40 AM »
Normally I agree, however going from 8 to 8.1 is pretty similar to installing a service pack. 

Except we still haven't heard back from Thork about making sure windows was all up to date.  I have done a basic search on it and haven't found any information about hybrid drives and windows 8.1.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 01:57:10 AM »

Except we still haven't heard back from Thork about making sure windows was all up to date.  I have done a basic search on it and haven't found any information about hybrid drives and windows 8.1.
Thork doesn't use Google so its possible his searching yields results from an alternate universe.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 12:39:33 PM »

I am fully aware you need to have all your updates done before you can upgrade. That is written on every search you come across. However once you get sick of that piece of advice because it isn't helping and you search on, other reasons come to light.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 01:29:47 PM »

I am fully aware you need to have all your updates done before you can upgrade. That is written on every search you come across. However once you get sick of that piece of advice because it isn't helping and you search on, other reasons come to light.
It should act as one unit.  The OS shouldn't know its on a flash card and the bios shouldn't care.

Is it possible to turn off the SD card and let all the data run from your mechanical HD?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:54:19 PM by Lord Dave »

Thork

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 03:05:57 PM »

It should act as one unit.  The OS shouldn't know its on a flash card and the bios shouldn't care.

Is it possible to turn off the SD card and let all the data run from your mechanical HD?
My OS is on the Card. So no, obviously I can't turn it off and hope the windows store will suddenly display the update as ready to go. Also, surely I want the update on the fast ssd card and not on the 500gb super slow hdd.

Why won't you just accept that it is not possible to update because you can't write to that drive and the only way around it is to change the bios and completely reinstall?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »

My OS is on the Card. So no, obviously I can't turn it off and hope the windows store will suddenly display the update as ready to go. Also, surely I want the update on the fast ssd card and not on the 500gb super slow hdd.

Why won't you just accept that it is not possible to update because you can't write to that drive and the only way around it is to change the bios and completely reinstall?
Because it doesn't make sense.

Your hybrid drive is either two partitions or one partition with a caching algorithm that puts the files on itself.  If it's the first, Windows shouldn't give a fuck.  If it's the second, then turning it off should let you update if it is indeed the problem.

Secondly, why would changing the bios force a reinstall?  It's the Bios not your motherboard!  The OS shouldn't give a flying fuck what your BIOS is as it doesn't directly interface with it.  (or it shouldn't).

The ONLY thing that messes up OS booting is the UEFI if it doesn't have your OS's digital signature and you have secure boot enabled.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 09:09:28 AM »
The ONLY thing that messes up OS booting is the UEFI if it doesn't have your OS's digital signature and you have secure boot enabled.

Not necessarily.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 12:42:07 PM »
The Mastery.