Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: FE and ICBMs
« Reply #400 on: July 21, 2021, 07:54:38 AM »
I'm not sure those figures are right. I plugged them in to my calculator ©
And got 248,219ft if you don't take variations in G into account and 250,776ft if you do.
Now, it could be that my calculator is still wrong, but if you use these figures:
1878mph and 229,738ft - which is the point at which Zero G occurs, and thus is when I believe all engines must have shut off,
then my calculator gives you 352,310ft for apogee, which is pretty much spot on
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline stack

• View Profile
Re: FE and ICBMs
« Reply #401 on: July 21, 2021, 06:43:23 PM »
I'm not sure those figures are right. I plugged them in to my calculator ©
And got 248,219ft if you don't take variations in G into account and 250,776ft if you do.
Now, it could be that my calculator is still wrong, but if you use these figures:
1878mph and 229,738ft - which is the point at which Zero G occurs, and thus is when I believe all engines must have shut off,
then my calculator gives you 352,310ft for apogee, which is pretty much spot on

I'm not sure the G figures are correct. I used some online calculator for those. As for the other figures, I just pulled them from the telemetry displayed on the video feed. The bar on the left highlights each event as it occurs. For instance, when the rocket hits MECO, the word "MECO" brightens up. Same for "Separation/0 G". But I'm not really sure exactly when the latter occurred. But the latter lights up right about at:

T+ 02:35
Speed = 1873 MPH
Altitude = 230,234 FT

Approximately 14 seconds after MECO.

Again, not a super accurate assessment, just a ballpark. But still interesting that the capsule continues up another 160,000 FT after engine cut-off. It's basically just a bullet at that point.