What happened to flight MH370?
« on: March 11, 2014, 05:56:57 AM »
I'm sure most of you have heard of this, but for those who haven't: a Malaysian airlines Boeing 777 disappeared shortly after take off about 3 days ago. It was headed to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur and had 200 or so people on board. No confirmed wreckage has been found, and all information usually transmitted from the aircraft ceased when it disappeared.

The media (at least, the Australian media) seems to be jumping on the terrorism bandwagon, due to some dodgy passports. However, the circumstances don't seem to support this theory, as no terrorist groups have claimed responsibility and no parts of the aircraft have been found.

So, what happened?

Re: What happened to flight MH370?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 07:12:31 AM »
A future human race abducted them to repopulate the dwindling gene pool.

Or

They had a catastrophic electrical problem.

Or

A pilot went nuts.

Or

A terrorist overpowered the aircraft.

I'm going with the first option.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 08:01:45 AM »
It probably crashed.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:14:19 AM »
Silly Malaysians thought the Earth is round and ran out of fuel >o<
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Rama Set

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 10:26:03 AM »
The Island got them

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 11:02:11 AM »
They flew through a rift in spacetime and are now doing battle against dinosaurs with the aid of conveniently placed mounted machine guns.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 12:03:45 PM »
I think stolen.

The plane wasn't blown up intentionally otherwise someone would take credit.
The two stolen passports point to illegal activities.  And if they were going to go to being, it seems odd that they'd try that stolen passport thing after landing there.  Getting through once is a miracle.  Getting through twice is next to impossible.

If the pilot or copilot was in on the theft then isn't it possible they disabled the radio signals, took control of the plane, and landed it anywhere they wanted?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 01:17:40 PM »
One word: katsung.

Rama Set

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »
I think stolen.

The two stolen passports point to illegal activities.  And if they were going to go to being, it seems odd that they'd try that stolen passport thing after landing there.  Getting through once is a miracle.  Getting through twice is next to impossible.

If the pilot or copilot was in on the theft then isn't it possible they disabled the radio signals, took control of the plane, and landed it anywhere they wanted?

Seems like there must have been someone on the inside, or with intimate knowledge of how plane transponders work.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 04:53:28 PM »

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 06:27:38 PM »
The Island got them

It's okay, in three years they'll get off it and become millionaires. Also the one fat guy to survive will never, ever lose any weight.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 07:24:52 PM »
This is evidence of The Conspiracy. Of course The Conspiracy will pretend it was an engine malfunction or something, but really they didn't want people finding out the earth is flat.

I bet one of the passengers looked out of the window when the stewardess specifically told him to put the blinds down.

That's all it takes.

Ghost of V

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 07:41:08 PM »
I'm getting the vibe that this was a failed terrorist attack. Especially after reading this headline.
Terrorist attack against who? I don't know. Maybe I'm racist, I dunno.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 07:57:03 PM by Ghost of V »

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 07:52:53 PM »
I'm getting the vibe that this was a failed terrorist attack. Especially after reading this headline.
*sigh* Fixed the link for you.  ::)
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 07:57:47 PM »
*sigh* Fixed the link for you.  ::)

Thank you, kind sir.

::)

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 08:56:21 PM »
I think stolen.

I saw this theory tossed about yesterday on Reddit (durr armchair experts), and it seems to be one of the few that explains nearly everything we know right now despite being incredibly unlikely. It explains the missing debris field, the aircraft disappearing from radar, it possibly turning around, and an eyewitness account of a large aircraft flying low to (presumably) avoid radar. The plane could have traveled fairly far, and the 777 requires only 1200m to land. The only thing it doesn't explain is why no one has contacted us yet, but assuming a remote landing could explain that.

It's also interesting to note that SAR are operating west of the mainland, no where near the last known position of the aircraft.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:57:58 PM by Vindictus »

Ghost of V

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
I think stolen.

I saw this theory tossed about yesterday on Reddit (durr armchair experts), and it seems to be one of the few that explains nearly everything we know right now despite being incredibly unlikely. It explains the missing debris field, the aircraft disappearing from radar, it possibly turning around, and an eyewitness account of a large aircraft flying low to (presumably) avoid radar. The plane could have traveled fairly far, and the 777 requires only 1200m to land. The only thing it doesn't explain is why no one has contacted us yet, but assuming a remote landing could explain that.

It's also interesting to note that SAR are operating west of the mainland, no where near the last known position of the aircraft.

I think you've convinced me that it was stolen. But for what means?

Rama Set

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 10:10:02 PM »
Who knows what was in the cargo hold. Or maybe they found someone who wanted to but a 777 at a discount.

Thork

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 10:26:19 PM »
Or maybe they found someone who wanted to buy a 777 at a discount.
Ryan Air.

You can't steal a plane. It needs its paperwork to be airworthy. Its useless.
If you wanted to hijack a plane, you'd be making demands by now. 297 people to feed costs a lot of money.
If you were a sovereign state looking to make a point, you'd have made a point by now.
If it was lost, it would have been found by now. Someone on it would have a mobile phone or walked to the nearest village.

Its at the bottom of the sea. I remember that Air France crash over the Pacific in 2009. It took them 2 years to find the wreckage.

Ghost of V

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 10:35:30 PM »
All I know is, it's missing. Until evidence shows up, people will speculate and come up with crazy theories. It's the natural way of things.