Verrazano-Narrows Bridge
« on: December 06, 2015, 07:29:14 AM »
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation:

Because of the height of the towers (693 ft or 211 m) and their distance apart (4,260 ft or 1,298 m), the curvature of the Earth's surface had to be taken into account when designing the bridge—the towers are 1 5⁄8 inches (41.275 mm) farther apart at their tops than at their bases; they are not parallel to each other.

Is this information actually correct? I have no idea how to calculate the distance between the towers at the top. The distance between them at the base is 4,260 ft (0,807 miles). Does anyone know how to do this?

Re: Verrazano-Narrows Bridge
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 11:12:22 PM »
A laser rangefinder would do it.
I don't know if it proves anything though, on a flat Earth the towers could be leaning slightly anyway?

Re: Verrazano-Narrows Bridge
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 06:19:42 AM »
No, it doesn't really proof anything. As you say, on a flat earth they would just lean away from eachother a bit. I just wanted to see if they are using the correct measurements. It also shows that during large building projects the builders are actually taking the curvature of the earth into account. I heard many stories that architects were told to forget about that stuff once they left school.