Offline Orbisect-64

• I'M REVOLTING! . . . make of it what you will
    • View Profile
Looking for more books
« on: September 21, 2015, 08:06:29 PM »
Anyone here ever read the books by Alexander Gleason: Is the Bible from Heaven (1890) and Is the Earth a Globe? (1893).

Supposedly Gleason, a civil engineer from Buffalo, NY, tested the flatness of the surface of lake Erie and published his findings in these books.

Sure would be nice to have these in the F.E. library here.

Quite frankly, we need some solid modern water measurements, using modern state of the art surveying tools and lasers, with good video documentation and field notes. It would appear there aren't enough professional engineers interested in this subject, or willing to put their names on the line.

PRONOIA: “The delusional belief that the world is set up to benefit people … The confident and assumed trust that despite years of lies and oppression, government is secretly conspiring in your favor.”

geckothegeek

Re: Looking for more books
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 11:58:55 PM »
Why would any professional engineer be interested in a "flat earth ?"

As for "water measurements", why wouldn't observations on the ocean be sufficient evidence of whether the earth was flat or a globe ?  How about testing the flatness of the ocean between San Diego and Honolulu ? There are many relatively inexpensive cruises. There are even some cruises out of Galveston, Texas to test the flatness of The Gulf of Mexico. And cruises from any seaport in the world to test the flatness of any ocean in the world.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 12:05:00 AM by geckothegeek »

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 12:50:30 AM »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 01:56:41 AM »

As for "water measurements", why wouldn't observations on the ocean be sufficient evidence of whether the earth was flat or a globe ?  How about testing the flatness of the ocean between San Diego and Honolulu ? There are many relatively inexpensive cruises. There are even some cruises out of Galveston, Texas to test the flatness of The Gulf of Mexico. And cruises from any seaport in the world to test the flatness of any ocean in the world.

You need a flat body of water for these measurements. Have you ever been to an ocean?

geckothegeek

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 02:54:22 AM »

You need a flat body of water for these measurements. Have you ever been to an ocean?

I've been in the navy and I have been on the ocean quite a few times. On a clear calm the ocean can be "as smooth as glass." The ocean can be one of the largest expanses of a flat body of water at times. It's a good place to prove the earth is a globe from the old "ship passing beyond the horizon" measurement of the distance to the horizon. Some research on radar theory for some types of shipboard radars shows that they are limited by the distance to the horizon because the earth is a globe which proves the earth is not flat. That the earth is a globe and not a flat disc is a moot point anyway.

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 01:22:12 PM »
I found this which has some additional references at the bottom.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/flat/flateart.htm

I do not see any point in surveying it because to get a flat earth any actual data would just have to be faked and you can just as easily make up a story without going to the trouble of actually surveying it.

It seems to me it would be much simpler to just make up the story you want.

Can you see Honolulu from San Diego?

Sure, I saw it myself. It needs to be on an extraordinarily clear day when the sun and the moon are aligned in the great celestial equinox and using an inverse-refraction telescope.

etc. etc. yada, yada, easy peasy