I have been all around this planet
« on: December 10, 2017, 05:27:34 PM »
Well the thing is I live in Central Europe and when Im in the Alps and look around everything looks flatt o me, of course we have the valleys and mountains so the whole area goes up and down but if you on top of a mountain and you look 360 degrees the wole landscape looks flat.

I have been to LA and when I looked out the plane the whole area looked flat, the same with bangkok, vietnam, abu dhabi, and when i landed in central europe and you look down it looks flat period.

And im sure if we ask people all around the world and they should go on the highest roof in there area and describe how they see the landscape around them everyone would say flat.

So if everyone sees the world as flat how come the world aint flat?

Furthermore that the earth is flat has been a believe since centuries, they killed people back than when they said the world is round.

And how come all the water stays on the planet if its round, try to balance water on a tennisball - impossible

and another thing with water is that that we actually build buildings homes walls based on a waterscale, how can always be sure that the water inside the scale shows you if you even or not.

water doesnt bend on the small scale but yet on the big scale its bending 360 degrees.

Looking at the water i also cant belive we fly through sace with 1200 miles per hour, i dont know

Re: I have been all around this planet
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 06:17:38 PM »
Well the thing is I live in Central Europe and when Im in the Alps and look around everything looks flatt o me, of course we have the valleys and mountains so the whole area goes up and down but if you on top of a mountain and you look 360 degrees the wole landscape looks flat.

I have been to LA and when I looked out the plane the whole area looked flat, the same with bangkok, vietnam, abu dhabi, and when i landed in central europe and you look down it looks flat period.

And im sure if we ask people all around the world and they should go on the highest roof in there area and describe how they see the landscape around them everyone would say flat.

So if everyone sees the world as flat how come the world aint flat?
Because simply by looking at those heights it's impossible to tell the difference between flat and a large sphere. However, if you've ever seen a sharp horizon line (like at sea) this highly suggests a curve, not a flat plane.

Furthermore that the earth is flat has been a believe since centuries, they killed people back than when they said the world is round.
The world at large hasn't thought the Earth was flat for about 2000 years. I'm curious when you mean by 'back then' and who was killing people for saying the Earth was round. If you're speaking Galileo and his time, it wasn't a disagreement over if the Earth was round. It was a disagreement over whether the Earth or the Sun were at the center of the solar system.

And how come all the water stays on the planet if its round, try to balance water on a tennisball - impossible
Try doing it outside of a gravitational field, with a similar amount of water (on a tennis ball that's 0.002 inches) and spin it at an equivalent speed (1 rotation per 24 hours) and I'm sure you'll see the water stick to the tennis ball just as well.

and another thing with water is that that we actually build buildings homes walls based on a waterscale, how can always be sure that the water inside the scale shows you if you even or not.

water doesnt bend on the small scale but yet on the big scale its bending 360 degrees.[/quote]
There is a drop of only 8 inches over the distance of a whole mile. That is a very tiny amount, and most things aren't built on a large enough scale for it to matter.

Looking at the water i also cant belive we fly through sace with 1200 miles per hour, i dont know
Fallacy. You not being able to believe it is not a logical argument against something. Go back 100 years, plenty of people would call you insane for describing a plane as it exists today, and tell you such a thing isn't possible.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 07:10:34 PM »
If you travel a lot, especially to different latitudes, the easiest way to see that the earth is spherical is to look at the stars.

You'll notice that wherever you are, constellations look the exact same shape. From this you know that they must be very, very distant compared to the distances you are travelling around the world (because the thousands of miles you've travelled are not enough to give you a significantly different viewpoint on them).

If you travel to different latitudes, you'll notice the pole star appears at very different angles from the vertical.

The only explanation for these two observations is that 'up' is not the same direction at different places on the planet.

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 08:03:22 PM »
water doesnt bend on the small scale but yet on the big scale its bending 360 degrees.

Offline Tom Haws

• Not Flat, Round, Ellipsoid, or Geoid. Just Earth.
    • View Profile
    • Tom Haws Interesting Random Discoveries
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 01:46:59 AM »
Yes. The earth is obviously flat. And assuming so is good enough for most of the things we do around town. But every time you see a sunset or a sunrise, you are experiencing the globe. Every time a sailor climbs a crow's nest, they are working with the globe. And every time a pilot flies long distance along a "great circle" route, they are accounting for the globe.
Civil Engineer (professional mapper)

Thanks to Tom Bishop for his courtesy.

No flat map can predict commercial airline flight times among New York, Paris, Cape Town, & Buenos Aires.

The FAQ Sun animation does not work with sundials. And it has the equinox sun set toward Seattle (well N of NW) at my house in Mesa, AZ.

devils advocate

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 11:00:26 AM »

1) Weigh a tennis ball
2) Put the ball in a sink full of water, and hold it under it for a minute
3) Weigh it again

I hypothesise that the ball will weigh more second time, where has this extra weight come from? The water!

Imagine yourself to be a microscopic particle, you could swim in the water that remains on the ball, even on the bottom. Round earth states that even with all mountains and valleys taken into account the earth is really as smooth as a basketball (bumps included). Because the earth is a very BIG ball and we are comparatively tiny so our perspective alters how we perceive the earth. If you were as big in relation to earth as you were to the tennis ball you would not see Everest as more than a speck.

Hope this helps ;D