Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Cancer is easily cured with common grocery store items
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2016, 08:22:56 PM »
He was one of the richest and most influential people of his time, and had enough money to pay for the cure.
Please substantiate the following claims:
  • Steve Jobs was influential.
  • The hypothetical cure can be bought with money.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2016, 02:14:23 AM »
He was one of the richest and most influential people of his time, and had enough money to pay for the cure. Not to mention that he tried using garlic himself, and died anyway.

Actually sources say he used faith healers and fruit juices. It says nothing of garlic.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2016, 11:29:41 AM »
As an aside, the rounds of chemotherapy she has been on have reduced my Nan's cancer count to the point where they can attempt an operation to remove it. To my understanding, the chemotherapy did not involve garlic.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2016, 03:40:21 AM »
I doubt garlic would cure any form of cancer, but it may help a little in preventing you from getting it in the first place.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2016, 05:26:39 PM »
So, garlic flavoured potato chips prevents cancer.
The Mastery.

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2016, 04:32:29 PM »
I doubt garlic would cure any form of cancer, but it may help a little in preventing you from getting it in the first place.
Probably not that either, no.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2016, 04:37:56 PM »

That is some top-quality refutation and evidence...

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2016, 03:21:17 PM »

Indeed. It's probable that it won't, but it might.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2016, 04:04:23 PM »

Do you have any evidence to support your outlandish claim?

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2016, 04:36:52 PM »

Understand the meaning of probabilities. The claim was that garlic is a cure. Those claims need evidence. Since I didn't raise those claims, I don't need to supply anything

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2016, 04:42:57 PM »

Understand the meaning of probabilities. The claim was that garlic is a cure. Those claims need evidence. Since I didn't raise those claims, I don't need to supply anything

Tom Bishop provided his evidence in the OP. Whether you believe it or not is fine, but you did make a claim with nothing to support it. Since you seem to be using the colloquial term of "probably" synonymously with statistical probability, then can you show some evidence with statistically significant results on either premise? That would be the sound thing to do since we are now "understanding probabilities."

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2016, 01:16:41 AM »
Yea. I am loving this website more and more. Awesome post!!!

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2016, 02:27:17 AM »
Please substantiate the following claims:
  • Steve Jobs was influential.
  • The hypothetical cure can be bought with money.

Seriously?  You need substantiation that Steve Jobs was influential?  Don't half the people you know own an iPhone?
Seriously?  You need substantiation that the hypothetical cure (garlic, in this case) can be bought for money?  Go to Safeway, they sell it by the pound!
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2016, 10:06:51 PM »

If mugsy eats garlic potatoe chip and doesn't have cancer, I'd say the claim is undeniable.
God is real.

Offline Round fact

• Science and math over opinion
    • View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2016, 11:20:02 PM »
Yeah because doctors, researchers, big phama, and the rest are more interested in the money, than the lives of their husbands, wives, children, grandparents, etc.

Leroy Jethro Gibbs head slap

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2016, 02:42:56 PM »

Yeah but if they, (and by definition their relatives) are the blood sucking illuminati vampires that rule the world, it’s in their best interests we don’t load up on the stuff in an attempt to prolong our miserable little lives, as a bulb a day diet would make our blood as venomous to them as it makes our breath poison to our loved ones and guarantees a wide berth in a lift (elevator/US).

Tom is a white witch, working against the forces of evil, cancer is the secondary issue here.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2016, 12:08:28 PM »
Seriously?
Yes.

You need substantiation that Steve Jobs was influential?
Correct. Was something about my phrasing unclear?

Don't half the people you know own an iPhone?
Of course not, most people I know are technologically literate. Nonetheless, that has nothing to do with my question, so let's try to get back on track.

Seriously?
Yeah.

You need substantiation that the hypothetical cure (garlic, in this case) can be bought for money?
Almost, but you'd have to take away the strawman you've just built. I never suggested that the hypothetical cure is garlic. Please refrain from addressing my questions out of context.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:12:24 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Setec Astronomy

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2016, 04:34:13 AM »
How I Cured My Stage 4 Cancer In Two Weeks For Less Than The Cost Of A Night At The Movies
I didn't ... get sick to my stomach!
My treatment wasn't painful.
(1) Grate one habanero pepper each day, putting it on bread.
Something isn't adding up here....

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2016, 05:40:00 AM »

In ancient times garlic was used as a treatment for cancer:

Throwing virgins into volcanoes was once popular.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2016, 03:20:39 AM »

In ancient times garlic was used as a treatment for cancer:

Throwing virgins into volcanoes was once popular.

Actually, that's a myth:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/columns/straight-dope/article/13043717/straight-dope-were-virgins-ever-really-thrown-into-volcanoes

As with so many popular beliefs, the answer boils down to: (1) this story is mostly Hollywood BS, but (2) not 100 percent. To get a better handle on things, let’s look at different permutations of the concept, starting with the least plausible and working up.

Virgins have been thrown into volcanoes to appease god(s). This is the story in purest form—so pure, in fact, that I haven’t been able to find any actual examples of it. The closest I got was the 1932 film Bird of Paradise, starring Dolores del Rio as native girl Luana. Plotwise it breaks down as: Boy meets girl, boy hooks up with girl, girl is betrothed to someone else, boy steals girl, boy is cursed by volcano goddess Pele, girl sacrifices self to appease Pele and save boy. Long in the public domain, the film is available for free download and worth every penny.

I need to point out a couple things. First, while Luana’s primitive culture is willing to sacrifice her to placate the volcano god, it doesn’t actually do so. She sacrifices herself.

Second, volcanoes suitable for throwing women into for the most part don’t exist. The popular idea is that a volcanic cone has a lake of molten lava inside, perhaps with a rocky promontory jutting out from the rim to provide a convenient spot for victim-flinging. In reality, an erupting volcano typically spews lava up or outward from a cone, vent, or fissure, after which the lava flows laterally along the flattish surfaces nearby. One could, I suppose, shove a sacrificial individual into one of these flows and thereby incinerate her (or him), but that doesn’t constitute tossing a virgin into a volcano as the trope is usually understood.

Virgins have been sacrificed on, if not in, volcanoes. I’ll go out on a limb and say this is 100 percent true. The mummified remains of numerous murdered Incan children, many of them female, have been found on the upper slopes of volcanoes in the Andes. For example, a girl was discovered on Mount Ampato in Peru in 1995 and two girls and a boy on Llullaillaco in Argentina in 1999. The victims, aged six to adulthood, were well dressed and nourished, suggesting they’d been fattened for the slaughter. I don’t know if on examination any of the children were found to be virgins but will politely assume they were.

Archaeologist Johan Reinhard, who led the expeditions that found the Ampato and Llullaillaco mummies, has conjectured that sacrifices at Ampato were intended to stop a volcanic eruption nearby.

Humans, but especially children, have been sacrificed to the gods, or to accompany deceased rulers who presumably were going to join the gods. This is so abundantly and widely true that it may not seem worth mentioning, but we ought not to let our interest in a particularly baroque sacrificial mode blind us to the larger truth, namely that our species has slaughtered innocents by the uncountable thousands since antiquity, without even the excuse of war. Examples:

- In the Bible, Abraham famously comes close to sacrificing his son Isaac, and Jephthah actually does kill his daughter in return for winning a war.
- As part of the funeral rites of the Incan ruler Huayna Capac a thousand people were sacrificed, including many children.
- The sacrificial cenote, a big sinkhole at the Mayan city of Chichen Itza, was found to contain the skeletons of children mostly from 7 to 15 years old. It’s guessed that the victims were selected for their beauty and freedom from blemish.

Getting back to volcanoes:

- In Indonesian legend, a princess and her husband prayed to the god of the Mount Bromo volcano to give them children. The volcano delivered 25, but required the last be offered as a sacrifice. Today, villagers commemorate the event by throwing food, livestock, and money into the crater, which more practical types wait below the rim to catch.
- American writer Armstrong Perry claimed he witnessed the sacrifice of a young man thrown into a lava pit in the Solomon Islands, and says he narrowly escaped the same fate.
- Classical legend says the Greek philosopher Empedocles threw himself into Mount Etna as a sacrifice after healing a woman near death. Why? Who knows? We’ll file this one under “alcohol may have been involved.”