it's good.

Discuss?
I'll also take any recommendations for tasty IPAs

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: My Philosophy on beer...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 07:41:23 PM »
After much contemplation and a beer I decided you are correct, philosophically speaking. My favorite IPA is Lagunitas.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 09:20:57 PM »
Beer is indeed good, although cans tend to impart a nasty element to the flavour. Fortunately most good beer comes in bottles here in the UK, although some not very good beer also comes in bottles, Stella Artois for example.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 09:55:27 PM »
So far I cant disagree with anyone - I'll take a Lagunitas pretty much any day, bottles are generally better (but less practical, and the store I typically buy my beers and favours cans), and I've never understood the love for Stella. It's drinkable.

Rama Set

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 11:32:32 PM »
I live in a craft beer wonderland in Toronto. I am currently enjoying a dry hopped sour by Collective Arts Brewing. Fucking delicious.

Offline Iceman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 11:40:23 PM »
Collective arts is probably my favourite Canadian Brewery. Aside from the one with the coriander, I have yet to find one I didnt like. Jam up the Mash is my favourite beer these days from anywhere.  But Jelly King isnt too far behind

Rama Set

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 11:42:05 PM »
Collective arts is probably my favourite Canadian Brewery. Aside from the one with the coriander, I have yet to find one I didnt like. Jam up the Mash is my favourite beer these days from anywhere.  But Jelly King isnt too far behind

Jam Up The Mash is what I’m having. Definitely my favorite beer this year. I’m not much of a cider guy but last year they did a lavender honey cider that was amazing.

Jelly King is also great.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 12:08:04 AM »
After much contemplation and a beer I decided you are correct, philosophically speaking. My favorite IPA is Lagunitas.

Yes, definitely in the excellent category. I have the benefit of being slightly local to the original Lagunitas Brewery and have been to the taproom a few times over the years. It's even better live and in person so to speak, fresh out of the vats.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 06:32:11 AM »
I must digress.  I am unable to drink beer as the smell and taste makes me gag.  The last time I had a sip, I spit it out on reflex.

Therefore, beer is not always good.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Iceman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 02:33:39 PM »
I must digress.  I am unable to drink beer as the smell and taste makes me gag.  The last time I had a sip, I spit it out on reflex.

I'm sorry to hear that! You're missing out on some good stuff these days - more for the rest of us I guess

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 02:36:23 PM »
Beer is indeed good, although cans tend to impart a nasty element to the flavour.
Have you tried them recently? Beer can technology made leaps forward in the last half-decade or so. At this point, I suspect you wouldn't be able to actually taste the difference in a blind test.

These days, I prefer cans because, well, I can't taste the difference, and cans are more environmentally friendly (on all fronts: manufacturing, recycling, and transport due to their lighter weight).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 02:39:32 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 02:55:35 PM »
Have you tried them recently?
In October I visited a friend and had a Brewdog "punk" something-or-other in a can. It tasted like shit, but then my experience with Brewdog has been not great in general, so I won't claim it was the can's fault. I ended up drinking some kind of bottled Amstel instead, which was dull but inoffensive.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 03:06:12 PM »
In October I visited a friend and had a Brewdog "punk" something-or-other in a can. It tasted like shit, but then my experience with Brewdog has been not great in general, so I won't claim it was the can's fault.
Punk IPA, I'm guessing. It's definitely not for everyone, though I personally enjoy it. I'd suggest trying a beer you know you like that's also offered in a can. For science.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 03:13:37 PM »
Discuss?

Yes.

Ballast Point Sculpin is my go-to IPA. The grapefruit Sculpin is also excellent. I was a little worried when AB InBev bought them a few years ago but nothing has changed. And it seems AB is buying basically everyone these days.

I have four breweries within a short walk from my house. Beer is good.

Offline Iceman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 04:07:43 PM »
Discuss?

Yes.

Ballast Point Sculpin is my go-to IPA. The grapefruit Sculpin is also excellent. I was a little worried when AB InBev bought them a few years ago but nothing has changed. And it seems AB is buying basically everyone these days.

I have four breweries within a short walk from my house. Beer is good.

Will add that to the list! Generally I like the stronger (>7%) IPAs  with a hit of citrus... some of the double-hopped brews are a bit over the top for my liking.

I miss being close to good brew pubs. Have one close by but they only have one or two decent options.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 08:35:32 PM »

Correct. Beer is awful.
In fact, I’d go so far as to say that no one likes beer.
Who when they’re young has their first beer at a party and thinks “ooh! yummy!”. People might convince themselves they like it through peer pressure and acquired taste but it’s objectively horrible.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Rama Set

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 09:33:30 PM »

Correct. Beer is awful.
In fact, I’d go so far as to say that no one likes beer.
Who when they’re young has their first beer at a party and thinks “ooh! yummy!”. People might convince themselves they like it through peer pressure and acquired taste but it’s objectively horrible.

Everyone is entitled to be wrong. Except this hot take. Beer is literally older than bread and you think it’s been delusion the entire time? If you believe that, I have some voter fraud to tell you about.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 10:15:56 PM »
Beer is literally older than bread and you think it’s been delusion the entire time?

No, I think people like getting drunk and will put up with horrible beer to do it. And for most of history they hadn’t invented alcopops.

If you believe that, I have some voter fraud to tell you about.
Ha. My good friend Bom Tishop would be interested.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2020, 09:12:01 AM »
Punk IPA, I'm guessing. It's definitely not for everyone, though I personally enjoy it. I'd suggest trying a beer you know you like that's also offered in a can. For science.
It is a thing that could happen, and if it does I will report my findings. I usually get a few beers in for Christmas so it might not be a very long wait.

Offline WTF_Seriously

• Nobody Important
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 09:58:24 PM »
This post brought to you by DUFF beer. You just can’t get enough of that wonderful DUFF.
Flat-Earthers seem to have a very low standard of evidence for what they want to believe but an impossibly high standard of evidence for what they don’t want to believe.

Lee McIntyre, Boston University