Re: FES Book Club
« Reply #180 on: May 05, 2015, 05:44:31 PM »

The Martian was fucking awesome.  There's nothing else to say say about a book that sort of makes me want to be get stranded on Mars.

I'm almost finished with the first George Smiley novel.  If you like spy fiction, then you'll likely enjoy this.  I'm enjoying it, anyway, so I'll probably read Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy next.

I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2015, 08:30:28 PM »
Joseph Heller - Catch-22

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2015, 09:18:22 PM »
Joseph Heller - Catch-22

I love that book.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2015, 12:22:23 AM »
Joseph Heller - Catch-22

I love that book.

I tried to read it as a kid but I didn't get it all so I gave up. I'm enjoying it a lot this time around, though.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2015, 08:28:03 AM »

The Martian was fucking awesome.  There's nothing else to say say about a book that sort of makes me want to be get stranded on Mars.

The Martian really annoys me. I had begun plotting for an almost identical novel, except my protagonist wouldn't have had a hope of ever returning to Earth and would slowly be driven mad by the isolation.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2015, 01:41:42 AM »
I just read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.  It was great.  Such a shame he died before his career as a novelist had even started.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2015, 05:10:07 PM »

I just finished my first memoir.  History has officially ruined fiction for me.  This is way more interesting than any adventure novel or war epic I've read, and it actually happened to someone.  Also it's only $0.01 on Amazon.

The Martian really annoys me. I had begun plotting for an almost identical novel, except my protagonist wouldn't have had a hope of ever returning to Earth and would slowly be driven mad by the isolation.

Although I really loved The Martian, that would have been a way more interesting finish.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Rama Set

« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2015, 07:46:21 PM »
Check out The River of Doubt.  It is a non-fiction account of Theodore Roosevelt's exploration and mapping of a major Amazon tributary.

« Reply #188 on: May 27, 2015, 08:35:13 PM »
Check out The River of Doubt.  It is a non-fiction account of Theodore Roosevelt's exploration and mapping of a major Amazon tributary.

I'll definitely check that out.  Teddy is super interesting.  I'm a big fan of Dan Carlin's description: "The guy sorta reminds me sometimes of a heavily armed, imperialistic, racist version of Peter Pan."

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 04, 2015, 02:25:23 PM »
Umberto Eco - Foucault's Pendulum

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #190 on: June 04, 2015, 03:40:15 PM »
I just read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.  It was great.  Such a shame he died before his career as a novelist had even started.

The first three quarters or so of that book are good.  It becomes terrible once the central mystery is cleared up and the story devolves into a bizarre revenge-fantasy rant that clearly had a lot more to do with Larsson himself than the actual plot of the book.  Also, Blomkvist is one of the most blatant Mary Sues in all of literature, and Lisbeth is a prominent example of inaccurate and annoying stereotypes in pop culture about mental illness and hacking.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:24:50 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Rama Set

« Reply #191 on: June 04, 2015, 11:03:55 PM »

The first three quarters or so of that book are good.  It becomes terrible once the central mystery is cleared up and the story devolves into a bizarre revenge-fantasy rant that was clearly had a lot more to do with Larsson himself than the actual plot of the book.  Also, Blomkvist is one of the most blatant Mary Sues in all of literature, and Lisbeth is a prominent example of inaccurate and annoying stereotypes in pop culture about mental illness and hacking.

I thought the book was about 300 pages too long. Who the fuck cares that he ate open face sandwiches at that stupid fucking cafe?

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 11, 2015, 04:13:09 AM »
I'm reading a book a cute girl I know wrote.
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 28, 2015, 10:42:21 AM »
Previously: Mary Mackey - McCarthy's List

Now: Don DeLillo - Underworld

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 13, 2015, 01:10:33 AM »
A Scanner Darkly - Philip K. Dick

A scary-real dive into the world of drug addicts. One of those novels that keeps you thinking and analyzing once you're done.

Offline naildownx

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
    • A Silent Noise
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2015, 02:09:49 PM »
Agents of Artifice - A Planeswalker Novel

Jace Beleren is a planeswalker who has taken the path of least resistance. He is gifted and powerful, but chooses not to push himself. Part of an inter-planar consortium that deals in magical artifacts, Jace has some power and influence. He also has a certain amount of security. That’s all about to change.

When Liliana, a dark temptress with demons of her own (quite literally), comes into his life, she brings with her more possibilities, but also more problems.

Under attack from external interests, a friend dies because of decisions Jace made. Upset with himself and fearing for his life, Jace sets out to find who is behind this new threat. What he uncovers along the way, an inter-planar chase filled with peril, will alter everything he knows.

Ari Marmell is what makes this book so good. I really enjoyed the story and the action throughout.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2015, 08:02:03 AM »

A scary-real dive into the world of drug addicts. One of those novels that keeps you thinking and analyzing once you're done.

That's the one where he dedicates the novel to all his friends who've been killed by drugs and lists himself amongst them, isn't it?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2015, 03:14:01 PM »

That's the one where he dedicates the novel to all his friends who've been killed by drugs and lists himself amongst them, isn't it?

That's the one. Killed or severely debilitated.

« Reply #198 on: July 20, 2015, 05:09:45 AM »
I've nearly completed my introductory Eastern Front Reading List.

Deathride is the only one of the five that I wouldn't recommend reading.  The author's argument is that it's nothing short of a miracle that the Wehrmacht was defeated by the Red Army, that Hitler's strategic assessment of the Eastern Front was entirely rational, and that the war didn't begin to turn against Germany until the 6th Army's surrender at Stalingrad.  His argument would be compelling if it didn't omit the most salient argument against Barbarossa: logistics.  He focuses far too much on raw casualty figures and fails to recognize the complete inability of the Wehrmacht to sustain those operations in Soviet territory.  Operation Barbarossa makes a much, much more compelling argument that Barbarossa was always a total fantasy.

Stalingrad and Leningrad are by far the most readable, and I would recommend them to anyone.  I think there's a real value to reading the firsthand experiences of people who suffered in the manner these folks did.  Leningrad was truly heartbreaking at times.  Like a mother describing in her journal how she killed her 1-year-old child to feed her 2-years-old child.  Also, apparently there is a level of hunger where you're totally willing to boil wallpaper to separate the glue and eat it.  No thanks; I'll just die.

Stalin is actually the first proper biography I've ever read.  I enjoyed it, but I enjoy memoirs more I think.  Stalin was an interesting figure.  Not what I expected.  The juxtaposition between total brilliance and completely irrational narcissism is something.

Eddy Baby

« Reply #199 on: July 28, 2015, 02:41:09 PM »
I know Stalingrad is supposed to be well good. I might bump it up my to-read list.