Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Debate Club: Recap post
« on: June 19, 2018, 06:24:13 PM »
I went through the threads and I believe this was our last status:

1) Create Flat Earth Investigations - Investigate authoritative claims on any topic. Question our institutions and challenge conventional wisdom.

2) Rename Flat Earth General to Flat Earth Community.

3) Merge FE debate, FE Q&A, Rename to Flat Earth Theory - A place to examine the Flat Earth Theory.

4) Rename Flat Earth Information Repository to Flat Earth Media

5) Rename Zetetic Council Forum to Flat Earth Projects. Place the Earth Not a Globe Workshop as a subforum within Flat Earth Projects (Ideally, not seen on the main Table of Contents page)

Order as follows:

1. Flat Earth Investigations
2. Flat Earth Theory
3. Flat Earth Community
4. Flat Earth Media
5. Flat Earth Projects
            |--Earth Not a Globe Workshop

Debate Club Header on forum Table of Contents page:

Welcome to the Debate Club

The top level Flat Earth Discussion Forums are a Debate Club. As in any debate club, the goal is to exercise your ability in debate to poke holes in arguments and expose weaknesses, even if you do not believe in that position yourself. Keep in mind that this is a friendly debate. Post in the Flat Earth Debate Club and join the fun!

Are there any comments, concerns, or corrections?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:13:40 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Club: Recap post
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 07:29:25 AM »
I think this is good to implement as-is, and the following comment is not an objection, but rather a suggestion to streamline implementation.

I think the header might be difficult to get "right" across different platforms (consider desktops, mobile Web, Tapatalk for example). It might be easier, and perhaps no less effective, to have a sticky post in each board explaining the purpose of the individual subforum and an encouragement to engage in debates on either side.

Aside from being much easier to put in place, this would allow us to provide additional detail about the standards and types of content we expect in each board (possibly preventing some of the confusion that currently surrounds FEG?)

Those comments aside, I agree that your recap is an accurate description of what's been agreed to date.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 06:29:51 PM »
If no more dissenting opinions are raised before this weekend, I will implement these changes this weekend.

I agree with Pete on the point of using sticky threads, though. We don't want to clutter up the forum homepage too much, especially on small screens where people are going to be doing a lot of scrolling as it is.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 07:06:13 PM »
Seems good. It'll be nice not to have a mirror image of the other site any more. Fingers crossed it improves the quality of debates. :-)
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 09:22:51 AM »
So the bulk of this, the actual forum restructure, is done. I haven't yet done the Debate Club header because it wasn't entirely clear to me how to proceed. I'm not even sure if Tom's original intent referred to the forum listing or the topic listing within the forum.

For now, I've left Flat Earth Projects with the same permissions as the Zetetic Council board had. Was the intent to open it up to the public, or to keep it restricted to people working on projects?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 04:35:22 PM »
I've bunged a post in there ... I've no idea if the moderators will deem it to be within the rules ... but its a debate outside of direct earth's shape whilst still under upper fora rules.

I don't know what type of things people will want to discuss in there ... I guess that's the point, we'll find out as we go ... maybe having no posted rules other than the upper fora ones might be an idea for a while. To see how the community want to use the new board. Then we could look at abuse retrospectively and tighten the rules to get rid of things that aren't improving debates.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline SiDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 04:48:42 AM »
You may have noticed: after the change, there's some topics in the new "Flat Earth Theory" forum that are appearing as "Moved" (e.g. "Q. Sunset...", "Q. Universal...", "Q. How..." etc) and they appear to be duplicates of "non moved" versions in the same forum?

Where inside they say "Moved to Flat Earth Debate", the link takes you back to the "other" duplicate inside the same Flat Earth Theory forum?
Quote from: Round Eyes
Long range, high altitude, potentially solar powered airplanes [...] If the planes are travelling approx 15 miles about earth, that works out to around 2,200 mph, or Mach 3

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 05:56:23 AM »
The "moved" threads are optionally created when threads are, well, moved. Normally we don't do them because they create clutter, but in this case they were created because the author of the original threads would accuse us of deleting stuff with every single move.

Given that these threads are nothing that plain text, yes, they didn't magically update themselves. I guess I'll delete them as part of my overall cleanup.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 05:58:54 AM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 10:03:03 AM »
I agree with Pete on the point of using sticky threads, though. We don't want to clutter up the forum homepage too much, especially on small screens where people are going to be doing a lot of scrolling as it is.
I have created one sticky thread per upper board. The contents are absolutely not set in stone, so if anyone would like to suggest improvements or grill me for saying something stupid, give me a shout.

READ BEFORE POSTING: Welcome to Flat Earth Investigations!
READ BEFORE POSTING: Welcome to Flat Earth Community!
READ BEFORE POSTING: Welcome to Flat Earth Theory!
READ BEFORE POSTING: Welcome to Flat Earth Media!
READ BEFORE POSTING: Welcome to Flat Earth Projects!

I've left out the note on the debate club from the last two threads since they're not strictly intended for debate. If there are any objections to that, I'm more than happy to change this.