Offline Ratboy

• View Profile
I started reading Chapter III about the evidence that the earth is not moving and I am not sure why a ball dropped from a ship's mast has forward momentum but if it is thrown straight up it stops having forward momentum.  The fact that the ball goes straight up and down relative to the moving ship whether dropped or thrown straight up does not convince me that the earth cannot be moving. 
But the things that confuses me the most is this "gravity" that Rowbotham talks about.  I thought there is no gravity.  If there is no gravity, how can these experiments prove the earth is not moving anyway.
And then chapter 10 talking about why the sun and moon are larger when they are on the horizon than when high in the sky.  Go out and use your finger at arms length as a reference to the size of the moon (or sun) at the horizon and when up in the sky.  They are the same size.  This is often taught in kindergarten explaining what is going on. When you watch football on TV and they zoom in, the players in the back look huge compared to the close players.  This is because your brain expects the players farther away to look smaller.  Because of the zoom lens they are pretty much the same size, so your brain thinks the guys in the back must be giants in order to look as big.  This is what is happening when the sun or moon are on the horizon.  Nothing to do with anything Rowbotham talks about glare and whatnot with light shining through a dense medium.  If the FE theory is correct, the sun and moon on the horizon would be much farther away than at noon and therefore would look a lot smaller.  Again, this is something everyone can do.  Get something that exactly covers the sun or moon at a certain distance (like your finger at arm's length).  Check the size of the sun or moon at the horizon and up in the sky.  Same size.  Chapter X debunked.