Re: Sunrise, Sunset, Swiftly Flow the Days
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2017, 05:59:10 AM »
I found this on another thread:
If you wish to verify your predictions, fell free. Travel to Makokou on the day of your test and you can verify your prediction for us.

We will be responsible for verifying our own predictions, and you will be responsible for verifying yours. Does that sound fair?

Tom does a fairly reasonable job in the first page of that thread laying out what is acceptable evidence, and expresses frustration with the multitudes of us who can't really track with what evidence is meaningful & valid. Maybe the Wiki or Forum guidelines could benefit from a summary like this? I haven't found a good description online as to what zeteticism accepts, and most of us probably don't have the resources to travel and verify our own predictions.

Accepting what evidence we can provide would create much more interesting conversations. At the very least, they could lay the groundwork for some experimentation that both sides could be happy with.

devils advocate

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2017, 09:05:37 AM »
If you wish to verify your predictions, fell free. Travel to Makokou on the day of your test and you can verify your prediction for us.

We will be responsible for verifying our own predictions, and you will be responsible for verifying yours. Does that sound fair?

Tom does a fairly reasonable job in the first page of that thread laying out what is acceptable evidence, and expresses frustration with the multitudes of us who can't really track with what evidence is meaningful & valid. Maybe the Wiki or Forum guidelines could benefit from a summary like this? I haven't found a good description online as to what zeteticism accepts, and most of us probably don't have the resources to travel and verify our own predictions.

Accepting what evidence we can provide would create much more interesting conversations. At the very least, they could lay the groundwork for some experimentation that both sides could be happy with.

I've grown to think of it (Tom's desperate insistence on needless evidence) like a terminally ill person's  desperate belief in the afterlife. They can't allow for any logic or factual based ideas to demonstrate that the idea of heaven is crazy because they need something to cling to.

If he were a true zetetic he would be out there verifying all these sources for himself, thus proving that timeanddate etc can accurately predict sunrise/sunset. He would then build this data into his theory, along with all the other data that is provided. The fact that he proverbially sticks his fingers in his ears and shouts "NaNaNa I can't hear you" shows that he is no true zetetic, he has his hypothesis (flat earth) and he is only interested in things that can help prove it, anything that presents a problem is just batted away with these crazy demands for unnecessary evidence.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 09:49:08 PM by devils advocate »

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2017, 04:11:31 PM »
Tom does a fairly reasonable job in the first page of that thread laying out what is acceptable evidence

You think so, but....suppose I come on here the day of the equinox and say “I’m in Makokou, the test is conclusive, Round Earth for the win!”  Do you really expect anybody, round or flat, to simply accept that?  I don’t.  Any more than I accept the results of the Bishop Experiment just because Bishop says he performed it and he says the results mean what he thinks they mean.

To someone unfamiliar with how science is actually done, I suppose that SOUNDS fair.  But in the real world, when proponents of Theory X make a prediction and claim to have experimental proof, their experiment must be repeated, their results duplicated, and their conclusions verified by opponents of Theory X before it ‘counts’ for anything.  The example at hand, Tom requesting proof that everywhere in the world actually has a twelve hour day on the equinox: in my 40+ years I have personally been in many different cities around the world on an Equinox Day.  Multiple US cities at latitudes northern and southern, even a few overseas locations (one in Australia, two in Asia, and several out at sea aboard a US Navy ship).  Each time, local news has a story about the twelve hour day, and it never failed to be a twelve hour day.  My personal testimony to this is of no value with Tom, and nor should it be.  After all, I would not believe him, if he claimed to have experienced thirteen hours of sun on Equinox Day somewhere, so why should he accept my story?  However, what SHOULD be of value is the fact that THE WHOLE WORLD has the same experience of local media announcing a twelve hour day, relevant museums and observatories holding events around it, and nobody ever reporting that the twelve hour day failed to occur.  Ever.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2017, 04:16:29 PM »
Tom does a fairly reasonable job in the first page of that thread laying out what is acceptable evidence

You think so, but....suppose I come on here the day of the equinox and say “I’m in Makokou, the test is conclusive, Round Earth for the win!”  Do you really expect anybody, round or flat, to simply accept that?  I don’t.  Any more than I accept the results of the Bishop Experiment just because Bishop says he performed it and he says the results mean what he thinks they mean.

Yeah, I really only meant "reasonable" insofar as he does more than simply demand evidence and expect that our research and/or divination comes to the same standard of proof.