Unsure how to explain this gif
« on: December 04, 2017, 02:58:20 AM »
I found this gif on Reddit. It's of the night sky stablised and shows the earth curve away as the sky remains still.

Is there a FE explanation for what's happening?

https://i.imgur.com/K066TkI.gifv

NB: I accept that the earth is round.

Offline ghostopia

• The Earth is round
    • View Profile
Re: Unsure how to explain this gif
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 11:51:06 PM »
They will either give us a theory or say that this video is fake. But I will say that the latter is more likely considering that they have rejected ALL pictures of Earth from space saying it is fake.

Yeah, they are not accepting any graphical evidence saying they had been modified.
Why believe in Flat Earth theory when there is so much evidence supporting Round Earth?

Flat Earth map cannot exist

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 06:09:18 AM »
They have rejected ALL pictures of Earth from space saying it is fake.
Well then, it’s a good thing this is a picture of space taken from Earth!  Anybody on earth can go out and take this photo, easy to prove to oneself that it isn’t fake.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline John Quinton

• flat earthers unite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 07:12:29 AM »
its just because of how the flat earth spins through space, take any plane and try this out. this gif doesn't occur because the earth is supposedly round, it occurs because of the rotation of the flat earth.

Offline ghostopia

• The Earth is round
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 07:34:07 AM »
its just because of how the flat earth spins through space, take any plane and try this out. this gif doesn't occur because the earth is supposedly round, it occurs because of the rotation of the flat earth.

Can you explain how this can happen on a Flat plane? I don't think I understand how it works.
Why believe in Flat Earth theory when there is so much evidence supporting Round Earth?

Offline John Quinton

• flat earthers unite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 07:42:10 AM »

Can you explain how this can happen on a Flat plane? I don't think I understand how it works.

take a video camera and rotate it. it may help to attach something to the camera so you have a point of reference. then start recording and rotate the camera so the lens is still pointing in the same direction but the orientation of the frame is now like 90 degrees or something. then use image stabilization to stabilize the surroundings. it will look like what is shown in this gif.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 11:57:29 AM »
Nice gif! As John Quinton says, however: it would be possible to see something like that on a flat earth, if it were flipping over and over.

The problem this does create for FET is a little more nuanced:

It demonstrates that the stars are very, very distant compared to the size of the earth, because there is no visible change of perspective as the earth rotates (equivalently: star trails are circular and concentric).

But if stars are very, very distant compared to the size of the earth, and the earth is flat, then a star that is overhead in one place should also be more or less exactly overhead everywhere else at the same time. In particular, the pole star (which lies at almost the exact centre of star-trail photos in the northern latitudes) would have to appear at the same angle above the horizon everywhere on earth, which it manifestly does not.

The fact that equatorial mounts for telescopes a) do their job and b) need to be adjusted based on latitude is an equivalent proof. You point one axis of rotation at the pole star, and can then track any other star by aiming at it and then rotating the telescope around that one axis to correct for its apparent motion. This works anywhere on earth - but at different latitudes, the angle between 'vertical' and the axis of apparent circular rotation of the stars is different. Since the stars themselves can't be tipping over as you move around (other people would surely notice and comment on it), and the only other variable is the direction of 'vertical', it follows that 'vertical' is changing as you move around the earth.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:48:14 PM by JocelynSachs »

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 12:58:21 PM »

It could happen if the flat plane were wobbling, but this creates a big issue. Universal acceleration would be affected as some parts of the plane would accelerate more or less rapidly due to this wobble. This would result in detectable anomalies. UA locks you in to a flat Earth this is stable in its orientation, so no, this is not possible on a flat Earth.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 01:15:07 PM »

It could happen if the flat plane were wobbling, but this creates a big issue. Universal acceleration would be affected as some parts of the plane would accelerate more or less rapidly due to this wobble. This would result in detectable anomalies. UA locks you in to a flat Earth this is stable in its orientation, so no, this is not possible on a flat Earth.

What kind of wobbling are we talking about here? I can't conceive of any form of 'wobble' that would result in circular star trails.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 04:36:11 PM »
What kind of wobbling are we talking about here? I can't conceive of any form of 'wobble' that would result in circular star trails.

Maybe they’re thinking of this sort of thing?

Not that it would give you the observed phenomena, but that might be what’s being proposed.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline ghostopia

• The Earth is round
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 10:05:10 PM »

take a video camera and rotate it. it may help to attach something to the camera so you have a point of reference. then start recording and rotate the camera so the lens is still pointing in the same direction but the orientation of the frame is now like 90 degrees or something. then use image stabilization to stabilize the surroundings. it will look like what is shown in this gif.

Ok, if you are just spinning the camera, then why doesn't the stars does not move? As you can see from the gif, the stars look the same whereas the ground moves.

Please don't say that it is manipulated to look this way because you said this gif can be made by rotating the camera.

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 02:46:46 AM »

Bruh have you ever thrown a frisbee?  IDK, maybe my eyes don't work, but they seem pretty flat to me.

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 02:51:01 AM »

I was told by flat earthers that the earth (disc) is motionless. Is this not true all of the sudden?
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline ghostopia

• The Earth is round
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 03:03:35 AM »

So suddenly the Earth is spinning. What happens to the Sun and Moon's orbit than. I thought they orbit around the Earth once a day. Does this change too, as Earth is spinning according to you? The only image that come to my mind is that Earth is spinning and all the other things on the sky is stationary. Is this correct?

Offline John Quinton

• flat earthers unite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 04:08:10 AM »

So suddenly the Earth is spinning. What happens to the Sun and Moon's orbit than. I thought they orbit around the Earth once a day. Does this change too, as Earth is spinning according to you? The only image that come to my mind is that Earth is spinning and all the other things on the sky is stationary. Is this correct?

it really doesn't matter, its all relative to the observer. the earth could rotate while everything else does not and if you stand on earth, it will appear that the earth is still while the universe moves.

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 06:31:27 AM »
Well then why doesn't it stay level when it spins. Even if there was a tilt it would stay straight. The only explanation is that they're on the edge and that's not possible because Antarctica.

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 06:45:41 AM »

it really doesn't matter, its all relative to the observer. the earth could rotate while everything else does not and if you stand on earth, it will appear that the earth is still while the universe moves.
But it does matter, because if we just said "it doesn't matter" when we do science, we wouldn't have gotten this far.

Offline Roger G

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 01:22:12 PM »
If the flat earth is now spinning, wouldn't that also introduce centrifugal force exerting a force towards the edge of the earth and putting a dip in the oceans? What speed is the spin, as with a circumference of around 40,000 miles there would be a variable force across the whole disc, The nearer you were to the edge the more the force would affect things. With a round earth spinning, the CF would be most at the equator with gravity counteracting the CF by pulling vertically downwards, but with a flat earth, the CF would be at 90 degrees to the acceleration  applied by UA.

Roger