Necessary evidence
« on: December 01, 2017, 10:40:24 PM »
One thing I'm never able to get a clear answer on for topics like FE is what evidence would FE believers be satisfied with to change their mind on the topic?

I'm not having a go or winding you up, I think it's a very fair question. I accept the earth is round based on observations and trust in science. And if evidence came along that showed the earth to be flat I'd change my mind.

Is there a piece of evidence that would be compelling enough for you to change your mind about the shape of the earth?

devils advocate

Re: Necessary evidence
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 10:44:49 PM »
If you look through some of the longer questions on the forum, (start here) https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=6902.0 you might get a flavour of the evidence that has been rejected so far by some or all of this site's flat earthers.  ???
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 08:35:35 AM by devils advocate »

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 11:01:10 PM »
Thanks

Hoping a FE person can detail what evidence they'd need to accept the earth is a globe.

I'd happily believe in any religion if the god or some part of it stopped by for a visit. Similarly, if someone journeyed to the edge of the earth and showed that it existed, I'd be inclined to believe that too.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 08:25:45 AM »
I'm pretty much in the middle right now. Flat earth makes enough sense to raise questions and round earth tells me to completely believe scientists and trust that they never BS any of their findings.

I find it hard to trust and government funded/affiliated source. I have my reasons and they are irrelevant to this discussion. I'd like to just go up in a spaceship and check it out for myself.

It'd also be cool if the NASA videos didn't look like they were being held up in harnesses. My critical thinking mind goes, "cirque du soleil?"

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 10:41:05 PM »
I'm pretty much in the middle right now. Flat earth makes enough sense to raise questions and round earth tells me to completely believe scientists and trust that they never BS any of their findings.

I find it hard to trust and government funded/affiliated source. I have my reasons and they are irrelevant to this discussion. I'd like to just go up in a spaceship and check it out for myself.

It'd also be cool if the NASA videos didn't look like they were being held up in harnesses. My critical thinking mind goes, "cirque du soleil?"
This is Q&A, so I won't say much more. But there is far better and easier evidence against FE and for RE than what you're talking about here. You are not required to believe everything put out by scientists or NASA to understand why a FE cannot work. There's a reason FE was abandoned close to 2000 years ago.

Offline Tom Haws

• Not Flat, Round, Ellipsoid, or Geoid. Just Earth.
    • View Profile
    • Tom Haws Interesting Random Discoveries
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 02:45:48 AM »

I admit I am just learning about this site's flat earth ideas. I am still trying to determine whether or not there is even a full-fledged theory. So accept that disclaimer from me. But generally Curious Squirrel is right. You don't have to trust NASA etc. You can make mathematical and intuitive predictions yourself based on the round earth. Again, I can't speak yet for this site's flat earth ideas. I haven't seen, for example, any definitive idea of the distance and size of the sun. Maybe that's in store for me still.
Civil Engineer (professional mapper)

Thanks to Tom Bishop for his courtesy.

No flat map can predict commercial airline flight times among New York, Paris, Cape Town, & Buenos Aires.

The FAQ Sun animation does not work with sundials. And it has the equinox sun set toward Seattle (well N of NW) at my house in Mesa, AZ.