Re: Just Watched
« Reply #480 on: June 15, 2014, 06:05:56 PM »
I am now watching Battlestar Galactica. ... The show is amazing.

Incorrect.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 15, 2014, 06:25:25 PM »
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #482 on: June 15, 2014, 09:09:16 PM »
About the Sentinels, it seemed to me as though Magneto was controlling them.  They started, I don't know, almost posing with him when he first showed up, flying around him in some odd formation, and then they only attacked the other mutants and completely ignored him.  Maybe I misinterpreted that scene?

I watch SHIELD.

You're right that they want to separate them but shield as it existed was hydra.  Coleson has to rebuild it from the ground up because it was so full of hydra.  Go back to the roots in essence.
And they did mention the "hail hydra" as being silly.

We are the cool kids.  That's good.  But I'm not sure what you're addressing here.  I'm not criticizing the writing as being logically inconsistent or having plot holes or anything, I just don't like the overall idea.  It's like Marvel is trying to have their cake and eat it too - they want to give us silly escapist entertainment in which the heroes fight over-the-top villains in ridiculous circumstances, but they also want to be deep and intelligent and deliver sharp social commentary.  Maybe there's a way to balance those two approaches, but if there is, I don't think they've found it yet.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 15, 2014, 09:55:45 PM »
lol, you forgot the scene where he put the metal from the train tracks throughout their bodies so he could control them, you boob.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #484 on: June 17, 2014, 03:12:06 AM »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 17, 2014, 09:21:43 AM »
This is the first I've heard of any lawsuit.
And why a lawsuit and not criminal charges?  Last I checked abusing a minor was illegal.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #486 on: June 17, 2014, 09:38:11 PM »
a $75,000 lawsuit

Strangely low.

Rama Set

« Reply #487 on: June 18, 2014, 01:52:32 PM »
I am now watching Battlestar Galactica. ... The show is amazing.

Incorrect.

Incorrect.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #488 on: June 19, 2014, 02:53:52 AM »
Here, have another trailer:

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 19, 2014, 06:09:26 AM »
I watched Fargo yesterday at the recommendation of a family member after I told him I was going to school in Minnesota. I don't know why I haven't watched it before; it was phenomenal.

If you liked that, I recommend Blood Simple, Barton Fink, The Man Who Wasn't There and A Serious Man by the same directors.

Barton Fink is great. I have seen a few other Coen brothers films. Which of these do you recommend most urgently?

Missed this post thanks to the deluge of superhero crap. Probably A Serious Man and Blood Simple.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 19, 2014, 06:18:52 AM »
I watched Fargo yesterday at the recommendation of a family member after I told him I was going to school in Minnesota. I don't know why I haven't watched it before; it was phenomenal.

If you liked that, I recommend Blood Simple, Barton Fink, The Man Who Wasn't There and A Serious Man by the same directors.

Barton Fink is great. I have seen a few other Coen brothers films. Which of these do you recommend most urgently?

Missed this post thanks to the deluge of superhero crap. Probably A Serious Man and Blood Simple.

I also agree with these two recommendations.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #491 on: June 19, 2014, 01:26:03 PM »
The deluge of superhero crap will never end.

Offline Foxbox

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 19, 2014, 05:23:07 PM »
The Diary of Anne Frank (Jon Jones)

Now my preferred adaptation of her story, this was surprisingly good. I felt this was not only a more accurate depiction of Anne and her feelings, but also much more emotional. As someone who is somewhat obsessed with Anne Frank and her story, I am very happy to have this miniseries.

Godzilla (Gareth Edwards)

While not perfect, I really enjoyed this.

House (Nobuhiko Obayashi)

Holy shit. What a strange and amazing experience.

Magnolia (Paul Thomas Anderson)

I have seen many times of course, but this is one of the best films I have ever seen.

2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick)

Watched again for the first time in like 10 years, this is an incredible and mesmerizing film. Though I am sad it took me this long to watch it again, I simply couldn't have fully appreciated this film back then. I may even like it better than Eyes Wide Shut.

The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese)

I liked this overall I think, but I think I will have to watch it again. I at least like it better than a lot of Scorsese's more recent work, but I've never really been such a huge fan of his.

Wild Strawberries
(Ingmar Bergman)

One of my very favorites of all time and it never fails to make me cry. I am a huge fan of the Bergman films I have seen, but I need to see a lot more of his work. I will do that soon.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:33:23 PM by Foxbox »

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 20, 2014, 12:33:40 AM »

I liked this overall I think, but I think I will have to watch it again. I at least like it better than a lot of Scorsese's more recent work, but I've never really been such a huge fan of his.

I'm not a big Scorsese fan either, I respect his knowledge and craftsmanship and his film preservation efforts, but overall his films don't tend to work so well for me. One film of his I really love is The King of Comedy, I think you might like it too.

Offline Foxbox

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 20, 2014, 04:10:26 AM »

I'm not a big Scorsese fan either, I respect his knowledge and craftsmanship and his film preservation efforts, but overall his films don't tend to work so well for me. One film of his I really love is The King of Comedy, I think you might like it too.

I will try to watch it soon.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: June 20, 2014, 04:49:43 AM »
Considering two of its main characters were played by well-known comedians, that was a deeply disturbing movie.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 20, 2014, 09:42:10 AM »
2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick)

Watched again for the first time in like 10 years, this is an incredible and mesmerizing film. Though I am sad it took me this long to watch it again, I simply couldn't have fully appreciated this film back then. I may even like it better than Eyes Wide Shut.

I couldn't get on with 2001. Stylistically, it's wonderful, but there is so much which is simply incomprehensible unless you've read the novel. The ending is the obvious example, but HAL's breakdown isn't explored as deeply as I'd have liked.

Also, watching a man's face being lit with different colours for fifteen minutes does not an exciting scene make unless you're high.

Rama Set

« Reply #497 on: June 20, 2014, 04:37:03 PM »

Miller's Crossing never gets enough love. Probably my favorite performances by Turtutrro and Gabriel Byrne.

Ghost of V

« Reply #498 on: June 23, 2014, 06:57:49 PM »
I decided to watch Stargate: SG-1 because I'm a fan of Richard Dean Anderson.  I fell asleep about half-way through the pilot. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't convince James Spader to stay as Daniel Jackson, because James Spader plays a much more convincing absent-minded professor.

Anyone else a fan of this series?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 23, 2014, 08:35:30 PM »
I was.
The Mastery.