Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #540 on: March 24, 2015, 04:42:18 AM »
What about the ending confused you to the point where nothing in-game had an answer for you? I feel like people who think the Bioshock: Infinite ending was confusing are the same people who were confused by Inception; they're easily confused.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 24, 2015, 04:54:46 AM »
quote author=Crudblud link=topic=667.msg63520#msg63520 date=1426921769]
How does its ending being controversial equate to them having screwed it up?

I may have phrased that poorly.  I meant more the controversy about whether or not the ending actually made sense within the context of the story and the universe.  I don't want to start spouting off like I'm some kind of authority on narratology or anything, but good twists shouldn't be leaving players confused and in disbelief.  It's fine to surprise them, or even shock them, but the reveal still needs to be accessible enough to players to work as a satisfactory ending.  You can't just throw something bizarre and convoluted at the players and then say, "Now go try to figure out what the hell it is that you just saw and how it actually makes sense."  Like I said, it's a self-contained medium.

To me it was pretty obvious that Booker was supposed to be a classic hardboiled type, though obviously more action-oriented than a Sam Spade as necessitated by the nature of the game. He fits the mould, and even shares a few biographical notes with Dashiell Hammett, an alcoholic and former Pinkerton agent.

Plenty of these hardboiled types like Spade or Marlowe were distinctive characters in their own right, even if popular culture has Flanderized them into basic tough guys with a gun in one hand and a drink in the other.  But yeah, this isn't a super-important criticism or anything.  I guess it's just my reaction these days to roll my eyes whenever I see another brooding dark-haired white guy with stubble on the cover of a video game.
[/quote]

With such a limited frame of reference it seems odd that you would imagine yourself to have any grasp on the matter at all.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

« Reply #542 on: March 24, 2015, 08:26:12 AM »
How does its ending being controversial equate to them having screwed it up?

I may have phrased that poorly.  I meant more the controversy about whether or not the ending actually made sense within the context of the story and the universe.  I don't want to start spouting off like I'm some kind of authority on narratology or anything, but good twists shouldn't be leaving players confused and in disbelief.  It's fine to surprise them, or even shock them, but the reveal still needs to be accessible enough to players to work as a satisfactory ending.  You can't just throw something bizarre and convoluted at the players and then say, "Now go try to figure out what the hell it is that you just saw and how it actually makes sense."  Like I said, it's a self-contained medium.

Shit, that's like a perfect description of the Mass Effect 3 ending. I thought you nerds were talking about it for a second there.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 24, 2015, 08:29:13 AM »

The work speaks for itself, but you have to extract the information and take it with you and think about it, in my opinion that is the least you owe a work with which you choose to engage. I don't accept "people had to write essays to try and make sense of it, therefore it is bad" as solid reasoning for the dismissal of what we can probably agree is an ambitious but hugely flawed attempt at broad scope storytelling; after all, if your logic held water, many great novels and films and paintings and even pieces of music would be considered trash simply for having people write about them for the sake of trying to understand them. As long as there has been "art" there has been criticism and discussion, and, dancing about architecture or not, these ancillaries have been vital to developments in thinking for both creators and observers, the same is true, if we accept them as art, of video games. I do not consider Infinite to be an artful game, but there is something to be gained from analysis of its plot and gameplay, from thinking about which things work and which things do not, and furthermore why that is.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 24, 2015, 08:45:04 AM »

green - Resi
Blue - Commercial
Yellow - Industry
Orange - Civil
Grey - Road
Black - Metro
Wow, your citizens must have utterly despised you.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 27, 2015, 02:39:15 PM »
I just wish that you had a more delicate control over levelling the landscape in SC4, I wanted to make a city which relied on ferries between similar blocks.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 29, 2015, 11:49:11 PM »
Playing The Witcher for the first time.

It has the perfect amount of lore and action to keep me entertained and addicted even. The dialogue is awkward but that's kind of endearing.

I am also incredibly attracted to myself so I have sex with all the wiminz. Gotta spread the hunky Geralt love.

Good job, Poles.

Ghost of V

« Reply #547 on: March 30, 2015, 12:24:37 AM »
The Witches is great. The pacing of the game is a bit odd though, in my opinion. I enjoyed the combat, lore, and dialogue... but could have gone without the sex scenes.

But Geralt is a total bad ass, so it's excusable.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 30, 2015, 12:27:14 AM »
I appreciate that you can collect them like trading cards. The only dialogue I failed was the green chick. Damn you hard to get green chick.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #549 on: March 30, 2015, 12:56:07 AM »
It has the perfect amount of lore

But it's literally the exact same Tolkien rehash that almost all modern fantasy franchises use.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 30, 2015, 01:17:29 AM »
I didn't say the lore itself was fantastic. I said the balance of lore and action was just right. Not too much lore with long books and not just all about action. Just a perfect mix for my casual RPG tastes.

The sex scenes are fine, I rather enjoy the cards.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 30, 2015, 04:57:21 AM »
I'm still playing Super Smash Bros. Melee after 14 years. And I've just realized if anything happens to the disk, it's going to cost a decent amount to get a new one.

Why would you not just download a rom and burn it onto one of the discs yourself? You don't need a special burner to burn those tiny discs, any CD/DVD burner can do it.

I've thought about that, but I'd rather have an authentic copy.

Have you ever considered Project M? I played it when it was still in beta. It was ok. It felt a bit awkward, but this was back in 2012.

The friend who I play Melee with regularly keeps wanting to try it. But for some reason he always thought you needed a modded Wii to be able to play it. I told him there's a hack free version and he just said "oh" and hasn't mentioned it since. I don't really have much interest in it, but if he decides to make a copy I'll try it. Besides, I think Smash 4 is finally the proper sequel to Melee everyone was hoping for in Brawl. The physics don't reach Melee level hilarity, but it's still insanely fun.

PM is opensource and requires a 2gb sd card and a copy of brawl. It is gr8 and I'd smash the shit out of all of you in any smash game.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 30, 2015, 06:39:29 AM »
I enjoyed the combat
No you didn't. No one did.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #553 on: March 30, 2015, 07:11:04 AM »
I enjoyed the combat
No you didn't. No one did.

It's been awhile, but I thought it was entertaining and unique compared to some games of a similar genre. I can't remember it very well, but I knew there was click based combos and I kept losing my money to the guy in the first town on some bullshit gambling game with mahjong pieces (maybe?).

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 30, 2015, 10:45:27 AM »
I've played games with worse combat. It's not that great though, aside from switching between which style you're using you just have to time the combos. There is some magic or "aards" you can use and potions. At least there is some planning involved with the harder bosses so it's not a completely mindless hack and slash combat system.

Watching Geralt in strong style stance is pretty funny.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:34:53 PM by rooster »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 30, 2015, 12:48:34 PM »
But mindless hack and slash combat system is the best combat system. That and turnbased systems like in Kotor and NWN.
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 30, 2015, 01:44:11 PM »
But mindless hack and slash combat system is the best combat system. That and turnbased systems like in Kotor and NWN.
Meh, mindless hack and slash is fun for a little bit but then it just gets boring. I'm thinking of games like Conan or Viking.

KOTOR is obviously a lot of fun too, but I think I prefer this style. I've never been big on turnbased combat.

This is the first time I've really been hooked on a game in awhile. I just want to go home and play it. :(

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 30, 2015, 01:49:49 PM »
I suggest studying a map of the in-game world. The story gets political and it is confusing considering it never actually tells you where any of the countries it mentions are.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 30, 2015, 01:58:28 PM »
I suggest studying a map of the in-game world. The story gets political and it is confusing considering it never actually tells you where any of the countries it mentions are.
Thanks for the tip, boo. Now I can do a game related thing while I'm at work! :D

« Reply #559 on: March 30, 2015, 06:42:43 PM »
Anyone else played Warframe? Looks like a whole lot of style with little substance.