Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #480 on: January 29, 2015, 11:04:25 PM »
Oh wait, I agree with what you said.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #481 on: January 29, 2015, 11:16:52 PM »
A Link to the Past on my RetroPie. Literally a timeless classic.

I agree. A Link Between Worlds on 3DS is also pretty great.

« Reply #482 on: January 30, 2015, 12:06:27 AM »

Much prefer it to Ocarina of Time 3D.

Ghost of V

« Reply #483 on: January 30, 2015, 12:09:23 AM »

Much prefer it to Ocarina of Time 3D.

I think they're both pretty great though. It's hard to separate Zelda games in terms of quality. OoT is a true masterpiece, the remake is not much worse.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:15:21 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 30, 2015, 04:42:38 AM »
I played don't starve, but kinda am bored of it already.
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #485 on: February 07, 2015, 06:12:34 AM »
My marathon of AssCreed games continues with Brotherhood.  I'm not sure if I like this better or worse than the last one.  The new little tweaks with combat and movement are nice, as is having followers to help you out in combat, but this setting is a little stale.  Rome is big, sure, but with the exception of the famous sites they included, it's not all that interesting.  I'd have preferred some variety like the previous games offered.

In between bouts of AssCreeding, I have been playing The Witcher II: Assassin of Kings.  Not going to lie, this isn't really gripping me, and I had heard literally nothing but good things about it prior to playing it.  The gameplay is pretty clunky, especially with how restricted the movement is.  I don't understand why the game will only let you travel through any given area by one specific path, and have you bounce off of invisible walls and knee-high ledges if you try to deviate from that.  Also, the combat is really simplistic, being Bamham-style tap-one-button-to-do-all-the-work, although I've heard that it's an improvement from the previous game, which I haven't played.

The storytelling elements aren't so hot either.  I know that this franchise was based on some books and all, so it's not really fair to level this complaint at the games themselves, but holy shit, I am so sick of the usual generic medieval European fantasy setting by now.  I make jokes about this occasionally on IRC, but I assure you that I'm being quite serious here.  There is no other genre that is this stagnant.  The equivalent of this in sci-fi would be having every sci-fi franchise be centered around a governmental organization called the "Federation," that exists alongside alien races known as "Vulcans," "Klingons," "Romulans," and so on.  Do you think that people would stand for that kind of banal repetition in virtually every sci-fi universe out there?  Of course not.  So why do we tolerate it in fantasy?  I'm not saying that every new IP needs to reinvent the wheel here, but for fuck's sake, they don't need to keep regurgitating Tolkien note for note.  Switch things up a bit.  Dwarves don't have to be angry Scottish beer-drinking miners and smiths.  Elves don't have to be beautiful beings who live in the woods and are attuned to nature.  It's not that hard to tweak these details at least a little bit.

In fairness, I should point out that the dark and gritty tone of the game is probably what the devs were hoping would set it apart from other fantasy titles out there.  I suppose they were somewhat successful there, at least visually.  I don't think a lot of fantasy goes for such a dirty, grungy look.  As far as the writing goes, though, what with most of the characters talking very crudely and frequently swearing, it feels very contrived.  Trying a bit too hard to establish how ruff and tuff the game is.  I'm also rather amused by their use of the word "ploughing" in place of "fucking."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:17:41 PM by Saddam Hussein »

« Reply #486 on: February 07, 2015, 11:33:16 PM »
tl;dr

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 07, 2015, 11:34:50 PM »
Does anyone play the TellTale GoT series? Is it worth playing?

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 09, 2015, 06:45:49 AM »
Does anyone play the TellTale GoT series? Is it worth playing?
You could probably find a lets play of it and save money or see if its worthwhile. Thats what i do but now it smells like bleach
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 09, 2015, 09:07:34 AM »
The storytelling elements aren't so hot either.  I know that this franchise was based on some books and all, so it's not really fair to level this complaint at the games themselves, but holy shit, I am so sick of the usual generic medieval European fantasy setting by now.  I make jokes about this occasionally on IRC  but I assure you that I'm being quite serious here.  There is no other genre that is this stagnant.  The equivalent of this in sci-fi would be having every sci-fi franchise be centered around a governmental organization called the "Federation," that exists alongside alien races known as "Vulcans," "Klingons," "Romulans," and so on.  Do you think that people would stand for that kind of banal repetition in virtually every sci-fi universe out there?  Of course not.  So why do we tolerate it in fantasy?  I'm not saying that every new IP needs to reinvent the wheel here, but for fuck's sake, they don't need to keep regurgitating Tolkien note for note.  Switch things up a bit.  Dwarves don't have to be angry Scottish beer-drinking miners and smiths.  Elves don't have to be beautiful beings who live in the woods and are attuned to nature.  It's not that hard to tweak these details at least a little bit.

That's one reason I (generally) hate the genre. That and ridiculous place names. It isn't that difficult to provide variety and tweak the tropes whilst still keeping to the High Fantasy subgenre. The obvious examples are the Elder Scrolls series in gaming or the Discworld series where the tropes are played with.

“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.”

Ghost of V

« Reply #490 on: February 14, 2015, 06:45:33 PM »

Fantastic game.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #491 on: February 14, 2015, 07:17:06 PM »
Chris is wise.

I've finished AssCreed: Bros.  It wasn't great.  The setting was boring, the plot was inane, and it was pretty short.  Even the conspiracy stuff was a step down from the previous title.  Uncovering Templar ties to Houdini and Gandhi and what-have-you via scanning spooky pictures and deciphering cryptic riddles was really cool.  But in this game, the conspiracies being uncovered are just typical crap I could hear from Alex Jones.  Like, the Citizens United decision, arguably one of the most unpopular rulings that the Supreme Court has ever made, that was the work of the Templars?  Talk about low-hanging fruit.

I don't want to render a judgment on Revelations until I've finished it, but I'll just say that it's good to see Altair back, and thank Allah, his voice actor is a million times better than the old one.

03/15: I remember some time ago on the old site, Singy talked about working on the development of The Order: 1886, a PS4 exclusive.  For some reason, that thread doesn't seem to exist anymore.  Has anyone here played it?  Apparently, it's only about six hours long, with half of that time being taken up by unskippable cutscenes and the rest of it being clunky cover shooting, lots of walking, and quick time events.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:59:07 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 16, 2015, 03:10:22 AM »
I remember some time ago on the old site, Singy talked about working on the development of The Order: 1886, a PS4 exclusive.  For some reason, that thread doesn't seem to exist any more.  Has anyone here played it?  Apparently, it's only about six hours long, with half of that time being taken up by unskippable cutscenes and the rest of it being clunky cover shooting, lots of walking, and quick time events.

I told him it was going to be shitty and he argued with me.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-order-1886

Yeah, just another example of my enormous psychic powers. I can predict the color of Rooster's curtains, I can predict video game ratings. Now I just need to concentrate on lottery numbers.

Ghost of V

« Reply #493 on: March 16, 2015, 03:15:41 AM »
I remember some time ago on the old site, Singy talked about working on the development of The Order: 1886, a PS4 exclusive.  For some reason, that thread doesn't seem to exist any more.  Has anyone here played it?  Apparently, it's only about six hours long, with half of that time being taken up by unskippable cutscenes and the rest of it being clunky cover shooting, lots of walking, and quick time events.

Yeah, just another example of my enormous psychic powers. I can predict the color of Rooster's curtains, I can predict video game ratings. Now I just need to concentrate on lottery numbers.

To be fair, it wasn't a very hard thing to guess.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 16, 2015, 09:27:47 AM »
I've recently started playing through the Assassin's Creed series, to see if they're as good as I remember them being.

Starting with AC, being used to the more dynamic parkour of the later games made Altair initially seem stiff and cumbersome. I know others have commented on it to death but I never realised how awkward some of the controls are, I suppose on the first playthrough I was just caught up with the uniqueness of the setting, the style, the story, and the feeling of the game. That said, I enjoyed the less set-piece heavy nature of the first AC.

I got through half of the game until it glitched and I got stuck in the Abstergo office with no way back into the Animus, which takes me into:

AC2. The setting is richer than AC1, each city feels different and alive. The controls are better, but still sometimes ragequittingly frustrating, especially trying to make any jump that isn't directly perpendicular to the takeoff surface. The introduction of the health bar, complete with medicine and armour upgrades feels like a step backwards and wastes the potential created by the animus framing device. Ezio is a far warmer and more relateable character than Altair, but it does feel like he overstays his welcome. Venice is simply too small a city to spend quite so long in. I'm sure I climbed the tower overlooking the Pallazzo half a dozen times over the course of the story.

AC:B Only just started this one and the infamous bugs have already raised their heads, from townsfolk popping into existence, climbing beyond the top of a ladder or Uncle Mario throwing himself off buildings like a lemming. I can tell that this will be fun.

That said, the opening battle of Montefiorte was fairly epic and the re-introduction of Desmond sections are a good way to break up the action. The controls feel a little more fluid, too.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #495 on: March 16, 2015, 04:44:59 PM »

If I remember correctly, the only thing you were arguing about was the presence of anachronistic technology.

Ghost of V

« Reply #496 on: March 16, 2015, 05:11:11 PM »
I've recently started playing through the Assassin's Creed series, to see if they're as good as I remember them being.

Are they?

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 16, 2015, 05:24:47 PM »
If I remember correctly, the only thing you were arguing about was the presence of anachronistic technology.

Ultimately leading to a bad setting leading to a bad game.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #498 on: March 16, 2015, 08:34:45 PM »
No, it seems to be a bad game because it's very short and linear, has no replay value or multiplayer, is mostly just uninspired cover shooting and walking around, and even the story that the devs were so proud to be focusing on rather than the gameplay isn't very good.  The setting is one of the few things that most reviewers apparently liked.

Ghost of V

« Reply #499 on: March 16, 2015, 08:36:47 PM »

The setting is one of the few things that most reviewers apparently liked.

And that's why Rushy hates it.