Offline Action80

• View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #10660 on: August 03, 2023, 02:57:47 PM »
Tom, they won't publish your flat Earth dinosaur stuff because it's insane, not because it goes against the view of their newspaper.

And yes, newspapers publish opinion pieces that go against their views all the time. Please stop pretending this is such an unusual concept. I hate to accuse someone of trolling, of course, but when you're being so obviously disingenuous it's difficult to see it as anything but.
By all means, feel free to call the Attorney General, Jack Smith, a troll. We all know just how sharp a dart player you are, Roundy.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #10661 on: August 03, 2023, 05:04:50 PM »
The bulk of the article discusses, like I said, the creation of of an "elite" professional culture that left enough people feeling isolated and left behind to rally behind someone like Trump, who positioned himself as standing in opposition to that culture.
That's a plausible explanation for Trump's "origin story". How he became so popular. And one thing he has done quite skilfully is discredit the mainstream media - in the eyes of his cult-like supporters at least. He's managed to convince them that they're being lied to by the mainstream and he is the source of truth. Which is quite smart, because it means all the times the mainstream media expose his lies...well, in his followers' eyes they're the liars, that just proves what Trump is saying. (Although weirdly they were fine with MSM sources like Fox News sucking Trump's cock endlessly, I guess that mainstream source is OK because it agrees with and defends Trump. Or used to).
And this also means that every indictment, well that's just the mainstream trying to "get" him. That's just further proof that he's right.

I saw a funny/depressing video where a Trump supporter was asked about the indictment - not the recent one, the previous one about the classified documents. The supporter said it was probably a pile of garbage. He was then asked if he'd read it and said no. Same question about the recording of Trump admitting he shouldn't be showing classified documents to people. Same answers. Probably a pile of garbage, hadn't listened to it. Sigh.

And there's a fair bit of cognitive dissonance going on here. People are so invested in Trump that all the evidence showing that maybe he's not the messiah and is in fact a very naughty boy just makes the core support more entrenched in their views.

But surely he wouldn't actually win another election...would he? I mean, the one he did win was because of a big "anyone but Hillary" vote. His core support, while big, isn't enough to win an election. The Democrats would have to put up someone truly awful to lose to Trump again. If they let Biden stand again they could be toast though.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #10662 on: August 03, 2023, 09:25:51 PM »
In this case, however, the author of the article is affiliated to the publication. The author in question has had his own column in the New York Times for the last 20 years since 2003, so it can hardly be said that he is not affiliated with with the paper:

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/ref/opinion/BROOKS-BIO.html?pagewanted=all

Tom, where in that (or any other) bio does it say that David Brooks is on the NYT editorial staff?  Being a columnist is not the same as being an editor, even if your long running opinion piece runs on the op-ed page.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10663 on: August 15, 2023, 03:55:38 PM »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10664 on: August 15, 2023, 05:02:05 PM »
https://apnews.com/article/trump-georgia-election-investigation-grand-jury-willis-d39562cedfc60d64948708de1b011ed3

Haha, yet another indictment.
Its just another Liberal plot!  The deplorable democrats will do anything, even convince republicans that he's evil.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #10665 on: August 17, 2023, 06:19:00 PM »
Could someone bring an actual crime to the table, please?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #10666 on: August 18, 2023, 12:46:23 AM »
Could someone bring an actual crime to the table, please?
They cant.
Also, every arrest and indictment makes Trump more powerful. Democrats are digging their own grave.
The Mastery.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10667 on: August 18, 2023, 02:01:26 AM »
The prosecutors involved have been quite clear as to what crimes Trump has been accused of. You may not personally feel that those acts should be crimes, but they are. And prosecuting Trump is the right thing for a just society to do regardless of how popular (or unpopular) it makes him. Partisan political calculations should not affect the application of justice.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #10668 on: August 18, 2023, 03:09:05 AM »
I mean his own AG says he's fucked but yeah, ok, no crimes here lol
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #10669 on: August 18, 2023, 04:27:00 AM »
The prosecutors involved have been quite clear as to what crimes Trump has been accused of. You may not personally feel that those acts should be crimes, but they are.
Feelings have nothing to do with it. The fact is, they are not crimes.
And prosecuting Trump is the right thing for a just society to do regardless of how popular (or unpopular) it makes him. Partisan political calculations should not affect the application of justice.
You are correct. You shouldn't prosecute anyone exercising lawful conduct.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10670 on: August 18, 2023, 10:26:47 AM »
The prosecutors involved have been quite clear as to what crimes Trump has been accused of. You may not personally feel that those acts should be crimes, but they are.
And prosecuting Trump is the right thing for a just society to do regardless of how popular (or unpopular) it makes him. Partisan political calculations should not affect the application of justice.
Just because the only law you understand is the law of the jungle, doesn't mean the rest of us are as ignornat.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #10671 on: August 18, 2023, 11:06:47 AM »
Just because the only law you understand is the law of the jungle, doesn't mean the rest of us are as ignornat.
"ignornat." - Does this misspelling mean you are ignorant?

How could we trust your word you would have any clue whatsoever regarding the level of my legal expertise in other areas outside of the jungle? I mean, come on...

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10672 on: August 18, 2023, 01:34:49 PM »

How could we trust your word you would have any clue whatsoever regarding the level of my legal expertise in other areas outside of the jungle? I mean, come on...
It means I typed on a phone without spellcheck.  But you seem to have gotten the message.

As for how we can trust it: same way we trust that you have any legal expertise.
We look at your posts and determine how often you misunderstand laws.

Turns out, its alot.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #10673 on: August 18, 2023, 07:17:50 PM »

It means I typed on a phone without spellcheck.  But you seem to have gotten the message.

As for how we can trust it: same way we trust that you have any legal expertise.

Turns out, its alot.
Actually, you have nothing to back up your bluster and it's (please note the apostrophe) and instead offer weak personal attacks.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10674 on: August 18, 2023, 08:01:31 PM »
they definitely got trump this time

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10675 on: August 18, 2023, 08:44:43 PM »

Turns out, its alot.
Actually, you have nothing to back up your bluster and it's (please note the apostrophe) and instead offer weak personal attacks.
Is showing classified documents to unauthorized people a crime: yes or no?

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #10676 on: August 18, 2023, 10:12:50 PM »

Turns out, its alot.
Do you have evidence that unauthorized people have looked at classified documents? Cause the prosecutor hasn't.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10677 on: August 19, 2023, 02:44:42 AM »

Turns out, its alot.
Do you have evidence that unauthorized people have looked at classified documents? Cause the prosecutor hasn't.
They do.  They have an audio recording of Donald Trump talking about the classified documents he's showing including the reaction of the two people there who clearly see the document he's holding up and acknoledge that it is, indeed, classified and they shouldn't see it.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #10678 on: August 19, 2023, 03:48:57 AM »

Turns out, its alot.
They do.  They have an audio recording of Donald Trump talking about the classified documents he's showing including the reaction of the two people there who clearly see the document he's holding up and acknoledge that it is, indeed, classified and they shouldn't see it.

Which, while true, is beside the point that showing classified documents to unauthorized people is a crime, and he was charged with it, and extra lovely, muppet80 has implicitly admitted that he acknowledges it as a crime just by asking if there's evidence that it happened. So there's your answer, muppet.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10679 on: August 19, 2023, 05:58:14 AM »
Huh.  I didn't realize that.

Thanks Roundy.