Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Why No Standard Flat Earth map?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 03:36:00 AM »
Oh, come I am hardly suggesting you use 300 year old maps.  It is now 2016 and the world has progressed since Rowbotham!
Of course you would pick up-to-date data - pre NASA if you must, but even by 1900 maps at least had good shapes for the continents.
Mind you, maps of Australia of 150 years ago are far closer to the shape of Australia I know than ANY FE map I have seen yet!

I fail to see how a movement that many (maybe not you, yourself) seem to think will "sweep the world" in the near future can be taken seriously with no accurate flat earth map for navigators, etc, to use.

See this link: http://www.wired.com/2014/04/maps-california-island/

For over 300 years, from the early 1500's to the mid 1800's, cartographers depicted California as an island off the coast of the United States in various maps of many countries.

What makes you think that between the mid 1800's and 1900 everyone in the world decided to stop plagiarizing and actually conduct an accurate exploration of the earth?

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 06:57:37 AM »
There is a very important reason why California was depicted as an island on those maps: it was actually an island up to the time of the last major geological cataclysm which occurred around 1765 AD (new radical chronology of history).

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 11:46:27 AM »
Oh, come I am hardly suggesting you use 300 year old maps.  It is now 2016 and the world has progressed since Rowbotham!
Of course you would pick up-to-date data - pre NASA if you must, but even by 1900 maps at least had good shapes for the continents.
Mind you, maps of Australia of 150 years ago are far closer to the shape of Australia I know than ANY FE map I have seen yet!

I fail to see how a movement that many (maybe not you, yourself) seem to think will "sweep the world" in the near future can be taken seriously with no accurate flat earth map for navigators, etc, to use.

See this link: http://www.wired.com/2014/04/maps-california-island/

For over 300 years, from the early 1500's to the mid 1800's, cartographers depicted California as an island off the coast of the United States in various maps of many countries.

What makes you think that between the mid 1800's and 1900 everyone in the world decided to stop plagiarizing and actually conduct an accurate exploration of the earth?
Well, somehow or other by the 1940's, we managed to get atlases with pretty accurate continental shapes, even if country boundaries have changed.

But, really I could not care less if you don't have a map, all you ever do is throw up reasons why various things are impossible, so forget I ever suggested it!
I repeat what I said before:
I fail to see how a movement that many seem to think will "sweep the world" in the near future
can be taken seriously with no accurate flat earth map for navigators, etc, to use.

Wezzoid

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 12:19:40 PM »
Only the gullible, the deluded, and poe trolls do take FE seriously IMO.

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 05:12:58 AM »
Before 1900 most of the earth's coastlines were accurately mapped, ie the lat-long of enough locations was determined to enable accurate maps to be drawn of the continents. In addition to this surveyors accurately mapped the interiors of many countries.

You put too much faith in map mapers and explorers. It is conveniently forgotten that for over 300 years RE maps depicted California as an island off the coast of the United States, despite being one of the most important frontiers and discoveries in the world at that time.

More importantly, FE supporters conveniently ignore the fact that RE supporters improve and update their maps as more information and knowledge becomes available.

I have no idea how large the population of FE supporters is but are they not a large enough group that, through a collective, could generate the funds necessary to mount an expedition which would ultimately prove their theory to be correct?  FE supporters want everyone to believe their theory based only on the information in their own, purpose generated, wiki yet they don't care enough about their theory to actually try to prove it to be correct.

Why is this the case?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 05:15:59 AM »
More importantly, FE supporters conveniently ignore the fact that RE supporters improve and update their maps as more information and knowledge becomes available.
Oh, sweetheart, we don't ignore it. We laugh in your faces because of it.

Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 06:43:33 AM »

As I have stated elsewhere, I don't know? But, they are all quite feasible.

Just how long will it take for you to learn that how much of a sphere you see depends on the distance from whilch the photos were taken! To me that seems to be just elementary perspective!  There no standard photo of a sphere!
 What other objections do you have? Colour? That can easily vary and I have no doubt NASA do "pretty up" there photos by improving contrast and adjusting saturation. I believe they say as much themselves!

Also, I fail to see any problem with having RE supporters improve and update their maps as more information and knowledge becomes available. Of course you update maps if better data becomes available, only an idiot would not do that.

But, those photos you show are not maps and would contain no extra data useful for that!

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 12:55:39 PM »
Also, I fail to see any problem with having RE supporters improve and update their maps as more information and knowledge becomes available. Of course you update maps if better data becomes available, only an idiot would not do that.
Well, yeah, except Round Earthers claim that they've already surveyed the entirety of the Earth and they can see it from space and all that stuff. Seems like there's no reasons for America's size to change as much as 50% over just a few years.

But, those photos you show are not maps and would contain no extra data useful for that!
Ah, so globes are not maps now. Wowie, I sure can't keep up with how quickly you guys change your mind!
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 03:23:19 AM »
Well, yeah, except Round Earthers claim that they've already surveyed the entirety of the Earth and they can see it from space and all that stuff. Seems like there's no reasons for America's size to change as much as 50% over just a few years.

Ah, so globes are not maps now. Wowie, I sure can't keep up with how quickly you guys change your mind!
I did not say
"globes are not maps" - and you know full well I didn't!

I said that
"those photos you show are not maps and would contain no extra data useful for that!"
The images shown are tiny photos of the globe earth, which I stated "would contain no extra data useful for" mapping purposes!

You claim "I sure can't keep up with how quickly you guys change your mind!", I did not change my mind! You just did not bother to read what I said!

Your Pepperoni Pizza Pie is getting gnawed away, so I guess you're getting desperate!

Because the known dimensions of the earth I live on simply will not fit on a flat surface!

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 04:49:34 PM »
The earth is flat. We're just here to help if anyone wants to find that out for themselves.

The earth is round. We're just here to help if anyone wants to find that out for themselves.

Hello and welcome. Please do not make low-content posts in the upper fora. I would suggest reviewing the rules first, and then checking out the wiki and FAQ before engaging in the FE Debate forum. Thanks!

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2016, 02:52:09 AM »

The conversation at hand is about a 300 year old RE map that has been updated through time and is no longer considered to be valid and you offer up photos across a 40 year time frame as some sort of evidence?

Why don't you show evidence of how the FE map has changed, as knowledge is gained, from its first incarnation to now?  Are the angels still standing at the four corners of the world or has it definitively been proven that they don't actually exist?