Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: The Sun Is A Spotlight
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2015, 12:04:40 AM »
The sun shines downwards on the earth. It certainly does not shine upwards on the earth. What's wrong with that statement?

By definition a spotlight shines in only one direction. The wiki says downward. It doesn't shine upwards or sidewards.

If it only shines downward on the earth how are the moon, the planets and their moons illuminated ?

You seem to be having some difficulty here. The sun shines downwards on the earth and sideways or upways on the celestial bodies.

geckothegeek

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2015, 01:03:33 AM »
The sun shines downwards on the earth. It certainly does not shine upwards on the earth. What's wrong with that statement?

By definition a spotlight shines in only one direction. The wiki says downward. It doesn't shine upwards or sidewards.

If it only shines downward on the earth how are the moon, the planets and their moons illuminated ?

You seem to be having some difficulty here. The sun shines downwards on the earth and sideways or upways on the celestial bodies.

I leave you with this .:

You are the one having the difficulty. Is the sun is a spotlight or if it acts like a spotlight,  is it a spotlight or is it  not a spotlight ? The definition of a spotlight is that it can shine in only one direction. A spotlight can not shine sideways or upwards.

Or are we just engaging in the old flat earth game of semantics ?

This topic has turned in to the results I had on my first topic of how the distance of the earth to the moon was determined by the Amateur Radio "Moon Bounce."

It eventually got locked by the administrator. Might as well do the same for this.

If anyone else wants to continue this discussion...If anyone else wants to play games with Tom Bishop, they are welcome to it. I'm outta here. I've wasted too much time already  and have better things to do. Good Luck to you !  LOL
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 01:39:03 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2015, 02:19:43 AM »

In other words, the sun shines in all directions which is not at all like a spotlight.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

geckothegeek

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2015, 04:51:40 AM »

In other words, the sun shines in all directions which is not at all like a spotlight.

"The sun acts like a spotlight and shines downward as it moves."
Looks like the wiki needs correcting.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2015, 12:44:16 PM »
Yeah, that wouldn't be the first time. Luckily, we also have the forum, where people can clarify small miswordings to nitpicking pedants.

What, did you think the Wiki is some kind of Gospel and you can "gotcha!" us by pointing out an ambiguous phrasing?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2015, 04:21:39 PM »
Googleotomy, if you have a small DC incandecent lamp, it is shining in pretty much all dirctions, right?  If you put the bulb into a tube, like a toilet paper tube, then the light coming out the other end will be a spot, correct?  The tube is causing the bulb to act like a spolight, even though i is not a spotlight. 

Are you really this dumb, or are you just acting dumb?

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2015, 05:08:16 AM »
Googleotomy, if you have a small DC incandecent lamp, it is shining in pretty much all dirctions, right?  If you put the bulb into a tube, like a toilet paper tube, then the light coming out the other end will be a spot, correct?  The tube is causing the bulb to act like a spolight, even though i is not a spotlight. 
Are you suggesting that there is a giant tube surrounding the sun?  ???

Given your toilet paper tube comment, I'd have to ask you the same question.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2015, 05:12:55 AM »
Yeah, that wouldn't be the first time. Luckily, we also have the forum, where people can clarify small miswordings to nitpicking pedants.
It's also lucky that we have editors that can fix and/or clarify such "small miswordings" so that "nitpicking pedants" won't keep bringing it all the time.  We do still have editors for the wiki, don't we?

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2015, 05:46:22 AM »

I am sorry that I had to dumb it down for my friend Googleotomy, but we might have had 3 more pages of him ranting about how something can not both act like a spotlight and not be a spotlight.  Were you enjoying his rants, markjo?  You guys can PM each other. 

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2015, 02:33:21 PM »

I am sorry that I had to dumb it down for my friend Googleotomy, but we might have had 3 more pages of him ranting about how something can not both act like a spotlight and not be a spotlight.  Were you enjoying his rants, markjo?  You guys can PM each other.
Googleotomy was not posting in this thread.  Perhaps you're referring to geckothegeek.  Even so, why would I want to PM him?

BTW, I agree that if you put a tube around a light bulb, then you're pretty much making a spotlight.  My question to you is if you think that there is some sort of tube around the sun turning it into a spotlight?  If so, what evidence do you have to support that belief?

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2015, 02:45:41 PM »
There is no tube, markjo, but in case you have not noticed, we have an atmoplane and light can not travel infinitely through air.  I thought Googleotomy, I mean geckothegeek, was the only one that needed simple explanations broken down into childish terms.   :-\

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2015, 02:54:29 PM »
There is no tube, markjo, but in case you have not noticed, we have an atmoplane and light can not travel infinitely through air. 
How is that anything like putting a light bulb in a tube? 

In case you haven't been keeping up, a spotlight is a narrow beam of light that illuminates a small, specific location.  How does a 32 mile diameter sun illuminating an area thousands of miles in diameter fit any reasonable definition of a spotlight?

geckothegeek

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »
There is no tube, markjo, but in case you have not noticed, we have an atmoplane and light can not travel infinitely through air. 
How is that anything like putting a light bulb in a tube? 

In case you haven't been keeping up, a spotlight is a narrow beam of light that illuminates a small, specific location. How does a 32 mile diameter sun illuminating an area thousands of miles in diameter fit any reasonable definition of a spotlight?

It's Flat Earth Magic  ???

Sorry ! I was going to stay out of this, but I just couldn't resist. LOL

Are you saying that the "atmoplane" is so thick that it acts like the tube in your illustration of the flashlight bulb and focuses the sun into the circular beam of the "spotlight"  on the diagram of the animation of the way the sun orbits over the flat earth ?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:14:38 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2015, 12:55:32 PM »

I leave you with this .:

You are the one having the difficulty. Is the sun is a spotlight or if it acts like a spotlight,  is it a spotlight or is it  not a spotlight ? The definition of a spotlight is that it can shine in only one direction. A spotlight can not shine sideways or upwards.

Or are we just engaging in the old flat earth game of semantics ?

This topic has turned in to the results I had on my first topic of how the distance of the earth to the moon was determined by the Amateur Radio "Moon Bounce."

It eventually got locked by the administrator. Might as well do the same for this.

If anyone else wants to continue this discussion...If anyone else wants to play games with Tom Bishop, they are welcome to it. I'm outta here. I've wasted too much time already  and have better things to do. Good Luck to you !  LOL

Think about it like this.  A car can drive around. A plane can fly around and when it's on the ground, it can drive around like a car.  Now, if I tell you that a plane is like a car in that it can drive around, would you be correct in denying that statement by asking how it's like a car if it can fly?

In this model, the moon is like a spot light in that it can shine done on the earth in a spotlight pattern, like how a plane is like a car in that it can drive around.  Also, the sun can shine on other things in the same sense that a plane can also fly while a car (or a normal spotlight) could not.

Does that circuitous explanation clear things up?

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2015, 01:29:33 PM »
Think about it like this.  A car can drive around. A plane can fly around and when it's on the ground, it can drive around like a car.  Now, if I tell you that a plane is like a car in that it can drive around, would you be correct in denying that statement by asking how it's like a car if it can fly?

In this model, the moon is like a spot light in that it can shine done on the earth in a spotlight pattern, like how a plane is like a car in that it can drive around.  Also, the sun can shine on other things in the same sense that a plane can also fly while a car (or a normal spotlight) could not.

Not really.  Would you please explain why it's so vital to FET that the sun and moon act like spotlights when they so obvious that they don't, regardless of how much you torture the definitions of "spot" or "spotlight"?

Offline model 29

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2015, 03:52:53 PM »
Does anyone know the distance between the moon and sun (min-max roughly) according to FET?  The sun is 3000 miles away when directly overhead, and at least 10,000 miles away from one's location later in the afternoon, yet just like the moon, there is no noticeable change in brightness (sunrise and sunset obviously is a bit dimmer).

Going by FET, the moon is considerably farther away from the sun at different times throughout it's phases, yet the illuminated area is just as bright. 

If they're both within the 'atmoplane', then there doesn't appear to be much dimming effect from the increased amount of air with the increased distance.

Looks a lot like the sun is a sphere shining in all directions.

geckothegeek

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2015, 04:15:30 PM »

Not really.  Would you please explain why it's so vital to FET that the sun and moon act like spotlights when they so obvious that they don't, regardless of how much you torture the definitions of "spot" or "spotlight"?

Answer: Simple. Because that is the way they would have to act if the earth was flat and fit in with the animated diagram showing the sun and the moon orbiting above the earth !

I think I have figured it out for the flat earthers.:
The dome is a mirror and acts like a reflector to focus the sun into a beam to make it act like a spotlight. This beam is so strong it burns a hole in the "atmoplane". The sun shines down through this hole in the "atmoplane". Thus the sun shines downward like a spotlight in a perfect circle . Ergo.

Problem: If the sun shines downward to the earth - if it is a spotlight or if it acts like a spotlight -  it would mean the earth is brightly lighted as long as that part of the earth is in the "spotlight" but as the  "spotlight" moves on the earth would go from instant bright to instant dark. That's the way spotlights act in a theater. The person is in a bright light and the rest of the stage is dark. No in between.

In the animated diagram: Does the moon turn on automatically when the sun turns off and vice-versa ? It looks as if it would be that way according to the animated diagram showing the sun and the moon in their orbits over the earth ? Does the moon act like a spotlight too ?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:12:38 AM by geckothegeek »

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2015, 04:20:07 AM »
A spotlight shines light in one direction. The sun shines light in all directions, which is limited in its extent by the opacity of the atmosphere and certain limits to human perspective across a plane earth. Since the light does not propagate infinitely, due to the fact that the atmosphere is not perfectly transparent, its light is limited to a spot of light upon the plane earth. Hence, the sun is casting a spotlight without itself literally casting light in only one direction.

Why doesn't the apparent diameter of the sun vary over the course of the day in FE?

geckothegeek

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2015, 06:13:56 PM »
A spotlight shines light in one direction. The sun shines light in all directions, which is limited in its extent by the opacity of the atmosphere and certain limits to human perspective across a plane earth. Since the light does not propagate infinitely, due to the fact that the atmosphere is not perfectly transparent, its light is limited to a spot of light upon the plane earth. Hence, the sun is casting a spotlight without itself literally casting light in only one direction.

Why doesn't the apparent diameter of the sun vary over the course of the day in FE?

If the "sunset" on the FE is when "the sun gets so far away it fades away into the distant" it would seem that the apparent diameter of the sun would be smallest at sunrise, largest at noon and smallest at sunset ?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 06:20:19 PM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2015, 06:18:23 PM »
Does anyone know the distance between the moon and sun (min-max roughly) according to FET?  The sun is 3000 miles away when directly overhead, and at least 10,000 miles away from one's location later in the afternoon, yet just like the moon, there is no noticeable change in brightness (sunrise and sunset obviously is a bit dimmer).

Going by FET, the moon is considerably farther away from the sun at different times throughout it's phases, yet the illuminated area is just as bright.

If they're both within the 'atmoplane', then there doesn't appear to be much dimming effect from the increased amount of air with the increased distance.

Looks a lot like the sun is a sphere shining in all directions.

What is the FET explanation for the illumination of the moon ? The only explanation I have seen is the bioluminescent moon shrimp ?