Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: The qualifications of Rowbotham as a problem for REers accepting FET
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 08:20:24 PM »

So, you create a new thread making wild, baseless claims.
If you don't believe him, then why don't you just check out this thread from the other site for the 24 pages of academic credential search drama?
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=61409.0#.VTf4DtLBzGc

I read the first page and it's much of the same I'm seeing in this thread. Was there something you wanted to point to, or an original thought you wanted to add?
Do you mean other than to point out the fact than that you're obviously too lazy to read the other 22 pages to watch the research unfold?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2015, 10:40:08 PM »

So, you create a new thread making wild, baseless claims.
If you don't believe him, then why don't you just check out this thread from the other site for the 24 pages of academic credential search drama?
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=61409.0#.VTf4DtLBzGc

I read the first page and it's much of the same I'm seeing in this thread. Was there something you wanted to point to, or an original thought you wanted to add?
Do you mean other than to point out the fact than that you're obviously too lazy to read the other 22 pages to watch the research unfold?

So no point to make, then. Gotcha.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 11:52:29 PM »
Actually, no, it was not a felony to be informally an "MD" in England at the time. Many people were called "MD" simply because they practiced informally. It was considered a "Gentleman's Profession" that one could "learn by doing". Modern concepts of medical school were only just then being developed. In fact, many doctors didn't even charge fees, but took unobtrusive "donations" for their services. I recommend any good history book of the medical profession. Evidently you need some education.

No, JROA, I am not. There are no emigration records of him leaving. And he was very much a public figure. He was the leader of a commune, and then he was parading around the country bilking people of their money trying to get them to believe the world was flat. There was no time for him to have ever been able to get a PhD in America, which wasn't offered until the 1860's, and there is no evidence he spoke German to get one there, which was the only other country that offered one at the time.

Really? You think that the practice of medicine was informal in the late 1800's? Anyone could perform surgeries, deliver babies, prescribe powerful drugs, perform lobotomies, and start hacking and slashing away into whomever they pleased? Medicine has been regulated by governments since the first day people looked around and thought of something to regulate. Even the Ancient Greeks regulated their doctors.

You are claiming that Rowbotham got away with claiming himself a doctor for all of his career, despite being constantly in the public light. That is simply ridiculous.

Offline Misero

• Evidence, Evidence, Evidence, and more Evidence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 12:34:07 AM »
Though I do not doubt his pose as a medical doctor, as a , they teach you stuff you need to know as a doctor. Not the required information to make a good theory on the shape of the earth. In fact, medical experiments are not taught too much, are they? Maybe on a rat. Pig, possibly. Yet he was qualified to make experiments?
Nobody should ever follow my standard.  I am the worst moderator ever.
Yes, I'll still keep that in mind on this forum too.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 01:13:57 AM »
Actually, no, it was not a felony to be informally an "MD" in England at the time. Many people were called "MD" simply because they practiced informally. It was considered a "Gentleman's Profession" that one could "learn by doing". Modern concepts of medical school were only just then being developed. In fact, many doctors didn't even charge fees, but took unobtrusive "donations" for their services. I recommend any good history book of the medical profession. Evidently you need some education.

No, JROA, I am not. There are no emigration records of him leaving. And he was very much a public figure. He was the leader of a commune, and then he was parading around the country bilking people of their money trying to get them to believe the world was flat. There was no time for him to have ever been able to get a PhD in America, which wasn't offered until the 1860's, and there is no evidence he spoke German to get one there, which was the only other country that offered one at the time.

Really? You think that the practice of medicine was informal in the late 1800's? Anyone could perform surgeries, deliver babies, prescribe powerful drugs, perform lobotomies, and start hacking and slashing away into whomever they pleased? Medicine has been regulated by governments since the first day people looked around and thought of something to regulate. Even the Ancient Greeks regulated their doctors.

You are claiming that Rowbotham got away with claiming himself a doctor for all of his career, despite being constantly in the public light. That is simply ridiculous.

Surgery was SOMEWHAT regulated. In the 1800s, lobotomies didn't exist. Delivery of babies was performed by women called midwives who were the most experienced at their job. He was only listed as an MD, not a surgeon. And prescribing drugs wasn't really regulated, no. That's why so much "snake oil" was sold back in the day, hence the word.

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2015, 12:41:06 PM »
His MD is on his gravestone, as is his PhD.

The medical act became law in 1858 enabling a fine of up to 20 pounds to be levied for claiming to be qualified to practice medicine (under the terms of the act)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/21-22/90/section/XL/enacted
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 01:04:22 PM by Andrew Judd »

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2015, 07:23:28 PM »
Enacted, yes. But not well enforced for decades.

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
He was only listed as an MD, not a surgeon.

Have you got a reference for Rowbotham being listed as a MD?   

Thork

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2015, 08:55:07 PM »
He hasn't got any references for anything. He likes to play a game of fetch. He throws out an accusation, and you have to run off to the internet chasing a source for everything little thing he can think of. However if you throw the stick, he just looks at you blankly. It is incredibly unrewarding and in the end, instead of your favourite pet, he becomes like that fish you never remember to feed. I can't wait for the day I find him bloated and belly up so we can flush him away and stop feeling guilty about it.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2015, 09:44:24 PM »
My, Thork, aren't we irritable. I suggest a nap, & perhaps even a bottle & blanket. You STILL can't prove that positive. I don't need to, & can't prove, a negative. You have to prove a positive. It's that simple. 

Thork

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2015, 09:57:01 PM »
No, we provided a bunch of sources. You provided nothing to the contrary. On the balance of evidence, we have some, you have conjecture and objections.

Rama Set

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2015, 10:21:16 PM »
My, Thork, aren't we irritable. I suggest a nap, & perhaps even a bottle & blanket. You STILL can't prove that positive. I don't need to, & can't prove, a negative. You have to prove a positive. It's that simple. 

This is untrue. First off, you can't foist the burden of proof on someone, so if you make a claim that you are incapable of proving, you must concede the point.

Second, you said you have evidence for your position but are not motivated enough to find it. So then, your thin argument is your own fault and not the failing of anyone else posting in this thread.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2015, 11:04:21 PM »
You have provided no legitimate sources. A newspaper article does not qualify. If it does, I'll have one written, & then I expect you all to support me by being my new clients.

Thork

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2015, 11:50:01 PM »
No, we provided a bunch of sources. You provided nothing to the contrary. On the balance of evidence, we have some, you have conjecture and objections.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2015, 12:01:22 AM »
I am not required or able to prove a negative.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2015, 12:06:09 AM »
If someone is going to go against over 2000 yrs of wisdom & claim the ridiculous notion that the earth is flat, he'd better be able to prove his qualifications for doing that.

Rama Set

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2015, 12:55:13 AM »
If someone is going to go against over 2000 yrs of wisdom & claim the ridiculous notion that the earth is flat, he'd better be able to prove his qualifications for doing that.

You brought it up, no one owes anything to you. To be clear, I want you to be right; I really wish you would get off your ass and find those emails.

The other issue is that whether or not Rowbotham was an academic fraud or not has no bearing on the accuracy or veracity of ENaG.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2015, 01:40:32 AM »
Furthermore, I expect the following: any atheist FEer who expects me to prove that Rowbotham ISN'T a doctor had better prove to the me that G-d DOESN'T exist. After all, if we are proving negatives... All I was able to find is "no records exist". That actually doesn't prove one thing or other. And that, in line with what Rama Set says, is a point. Even if he was a doctor, which we know he is not, that in no way indicates that he was qualified to write ENaG, which, as anyone knows who has read the stupid thing, is full of bullshit from beginning to end.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2015, 02:09:48 AM »
had better prove to the me that G-d DOESN'T exist.

That one is easy. He doesn't

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2015, 05:03:44 AM »
He was only listed as an MD, not a surgeon.

Have you got a reference for Rowbotham being listed as a MD?