Online Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Lauren Barri-Holstein, actress and PhD student at Queen Mary University of London, decided to show a recording of her "feminist performance art concerned with the female body" as part of an introduction to a theatre class. Many students seemed displeased:

"It was surreal. I honestly didn't know how to react. I don't think I'll ever be able to look her in the eye in person, it's just weird."
"It's not even the fact we saw her lady parts, it's the fact I literally have no idea how the clip was in any way related to this module."
"It was just so extreme and I don't understand why it was in any way necessary."

While some were okay with it:

"I understand her aim is to actively gross out the audience and challenge us, which does actually make sense."
"She's really passionate about exposing our socially ingrained expectations, so I'm going to suspend my judgement and wait until I get to know her better as a teacher."

Here's a Telegraph article providing some more detail about the story. Now, without further ado, I present to you Splat!, helpfully censored and narrated by Youtube's very own Sargon of Akkad:

Sometimes I really have doubts about my thoughts of going into academia.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
As I was saying in IRC, this is exemplary of why the current avant garde is stupid.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
This belongs on delusional artists on reddit.

Ghost of V

That was some of the most pretentious drivel that I've ever watched. What exactly am I supposed to be getting from this performance? It had something to do with feminism, or was this just basic shock art hiding behind a "meaningful purpose"'?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Holy frick, that was hilarious.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
I always read the youtube comments before I watch a video. This avoids most situations where I wish I could "unwatch" things, and in this case I believe that I would very much like to unwatch this video, so I won't be watching it in the first place. Thanks, youtube comments.

Also, why do some students put up with this shit? If some crazy ass professor did shit like what the comments imply it is, then I'd just walk out. It isn't high school, you're paying them for an education, not bullshit.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
Down with the matriarchy!

That was stupid. It tried too hard to be shocking that it wasn't even shocking. I literally got nothing from that.

Saddam Hussein

I stopped watching the video five seconds in, when I realized I had been linked to a whining MRA screed.  I'm sure the performance itself is very stupid, but not quite as stupid as the sexually-frustrated loser who creates a YouTube channel devoted to ranting about how bitches won't have sex with him.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 01:20:22 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Online Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
I stopped watching the video five seconds in, when I realized I had been linked to a whining MRA screed.  I'm sure the performance itself is very stupid, but not quite as stupid as the sexually-frustrated loser who creates a YouTube channel devoted to ranting about how bitches won't have sex with him.
Ladies and gentlemen, Saddam reminding us why this kind of shit needs to continue to be called out as it happens.

No, Saddam, the channel is anything but mono-thematic, and the person you've ignored is not an MRA, unless you use that term to refer to everyone who has said anything bad about feminism ever. Which, come to think of it, you probably do.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Saddam had to stop watching the video because he was triggered.

Saddam Hussein

He does seem to have some historical videos, upon a closer look.  His channel is simply mostly devoted to dumb MRA/redpiller/Gamergate/I'm-still-complaining-about-Anita-Sarkeesian-for-some-reason/wah-wah-won't-someone-think-of-the-menz stuff.  It comes down to the same thing in the end - a loser in a fedora raging about women who won't have sex with him.

Online Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
He does seem to have some historical videos, upon a closer look.  His channel is simply mostly devoted to dumb MRA/redpiller/Gamergate/I'm-still-complaining-about-Anita-Sarkeesian-for-some-reason/wah-wah-won't-someone-think-of-the-menz stuff.  It comes down to the same thing in the end - a loser in a fedora raging about women who won't have sex with him.
Give it up for Saddam, everyone. The man who managed to admit he was wrong, and then immediately followed it by being wrong again!

Just watch the video already. Don't be so terrified of someone you think you might disagree based on 5 seconds of listening.

I don't think you grasp some of the titles you've used here.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile

Here is the original, for you and anybody else who might be triggered by the sound of a male's voice. I really, really recommend you watch it all the way through.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 03:15:00 AM by Particle Person »
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
Ladies and gentlemen, Saddam reminding us why this kind of shit needs to continue to be called out as it happens.

No, Saddam, the channel is anything but mono-thematic, and the person you've ignored is not an MRA, unless you use that term to refer to everyone who has said anything bad about feminism ever. Which, come to think of it, you probably do.

Nah, I agree with Saddam. The narrator sounds like a complete m'lady. There's nothing wrong with criticizing someone for taking their feminism too far, but he seems like the kind of guy who gets sexual pleasure from complaining about the very concept of feminism. As for him not being mono-thematic, his promo video for his channel is him being proud of a bunch of people calling him sexist. I refuse to believe he doesn't have a fedora collection.

That said, stupid pretentious person did stupid pretentious thing. So crazy.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:04:21 AM by Tausami »
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Nah, I agree with Saddam. The narrator sounds like a complete m'lady. There's nothing wrong with criticizing someone for taking their feminism too far, but he seems like the kind of guy who gets sexual pleasure from complaining about the very concept of feminism. As for him not being mono-thematic, his promo video for his channel is him being proud of a bunch of people calling him sexist. I refuse to believe he doesn't have a fedora collection.

That said, stupid pretentious person did stupid pretentious thing. So crazy.

Don't circlejerk, Saddam gets triggered by that too.

Online Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Nah, I agree with Saddam. The narrator sounds like a complete m'lady.
If you judge a man by how he sounds and not by what he says, we're going to have to agree to disagree and never touch that subject again. I can predict no productive outcome, and if we try discussing it it's gonna end up the same as your contributions to the Ferguson thread.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
My thought:

wtf why what and literally stop
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
there appears to be a furry on stage. didn't watch
The Mastery.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
Nah, I agree with Saddam. The narrator sounds like a complete m'lady.
If you judge a man by how he sounds and not by what he says, we're going to have to agree to disagree and never touch that subject again. I can predict no productive outcome, and if we try discussing it it's gonna end up the same as your contributions to the Ferguson thread.

There is no way you seriously interpreted that sentence as me complaining about the sound of his voice. You know very well that I was talking about what he was saying. I think the narrator is a bit of a prick, based on how he described the video. On another note, how did that woman get accepted to grad school in the first place.

Pizaa, I feel like you're getting seriously personally offended by my disagreeing with you. I don't really understand why you are, but I apologize if that's the case.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ