Offline Daguerrohype

• ISBN-10: 0552133256
    • View Profile
Real World Reactions to the Flat Earth Model
« on: March 13, 2015, 01:38:43 PM »
Hello All

I've lurked for a couple of years, and have read the FAQ and quite a large number of topic threads. The issue I'm interested in does not seem to be covered in any of the posts I've read, albeit the usual advance apology applies in case I have missed reference to it elsewhere.

There are clearly a large number of people who believe in FET over RET or, in any event, who profess to on this website. With this being the internet, it's practically impossible to accurately discern a person's true beliefs and/or motive for putting forward a particular viewpoint.

I'd like to invite FET proponents to say whether they routinely express their beliefs anywhere other than the internet, and if so whether their family/friends/acquaintances are skeptical or supportive. As a sub-question, I'd like to know whether FET supporters were brought up by FET believing parents or whether they arrived at their beliefs through independent research and/or thought processes.

I have no ulterior motive. I am simply curious. If this is not a subject any FET theorists wish to discuss then at least thanks for reading this post.

DT
Big Smiley Face

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
Re: Real World Reactions to the Flat Earth Model
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 07:20:38 PM »
I rarely bring up FET outside of the Society. It's a pretty easy way to make yourself a social pariah. As for whether or not people are supportive, that's a definite 'no' for me. I find that people first think it's a joke, then either get angry or refuse to listen. Especially when they realize they can't disprove it as easily as they think they should be able to. It's not a comfortable topic for most globularists, in my experience.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:02:46 PM »
I rarely bring up FET outside of the Society. It's a pretty easy way to make yourself a social pariah. As for whether or not people are supportive, that's a definite 'no' for me. I find that people first think it's a joke, then either get angry or refuse to listen. Especially when they realize they can't disprove it as easily as they think they should be able to. It's not a comfortable topic for most globularists, in my experience.

It's interesting to see the speed at which their arguments degrade to continuously repeating, "that's/you're crazy."

Thork

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 02:33:41 PM »
2 of my friends know and oddly my boss. And my brother. That's it.

They all refer to it as my weird secret hobby. If I'm out drinking and we meet attractive girls, they will often start hinting about it in an effort to cock-block me, but its mostly in jest. I'm kind of eccentric anyway.

Offline Daguerrohype

• ISBN-10: 0552133256
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »
Thanks to those who have responded. And congratulations Thork on your 3,000th post.

I imagine it's not something you feel the need to tell people in the real world in any event. Unless you are a militant flat-earther. Are there any of those on here?
Big Smiley Face

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 08:31:56 PM »
A large number of my friends and family know I am a proponent of Flat Earth Theory. Typically it starts with a debate of the two theories, and then, depending on the intellectual maturity of the person I'm talking with, they'll either accept the competing theory or call me crazy.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Ghost of V

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 09:11:55 PM »
I was run out of my hometown because of my beliefs by an angry mob of scientists. My entire family was killed in the resulting battle that took place, and my sister was taken and made into a round Earth harem as an example of what can happen when you challenge scientific dogma. I am currently living in cave in an undisclosed location, with stolen internet.

Basically, flat Earth ruined my life. But it is the only correct theory, so I still fight the good fight and spread the word online.

Rama Set

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 10:56:47 PM »
The harem always has a place for you Vauxhall.

Offline mister bickles

• while there's life, there's hope!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 07:39:42 AM »
I was run out of my hometown because of my beliefs by an angry mob of scientists. My entire family was killed in the resulting battle that took place, and my sister was taken and made into a round Earth harem as an example of what can happen when you challenge scientific dogma. I am currently living in cave in an undisclosed location, with stolen internet.

Basically, flat Earth ruined my life. But it is the only correct theory, so I still fight the good fight and spread the word online.

not too far "off the mark"...except it wouldn't be "an angry mob of scientists"....just "an angry mob"....even in this age of the i/net, you can still get Orwellian rent-a-mobs to do yr "dirty work"   :(

unfortunately, the people who know we live in a controlled 'Matrix' are still vastly out-numbered @ least 4-to-1 ....    :(
nisi Dominus frustra